G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Trading my G35 for SLK350, who would?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgainnm
Read some objective quality reviews of the MB. I looked at an 230SLK before buying the G, but they continue to have many quality problems. I lost the site, but there is a web site for folks who have had problems with their MBs, really numerous and serious ones compared to the ones I've seen posted om this site.
I don't know if this is the site you're referring to but check out www.lemonmb.com
I like the look of the slk and all the benzes. After owning one and visiting this site, I would never choose one over a G35. If I do get another benz, it will be an infrequently driven car. Definitely not for daily driving.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:06 PM
the SLK350 is sexy.....

Old 05-22-2005, 01:03 PM
I don't know where some of you are coming from saying that the G35 is faster than even an automatic SLK350. I doubt no one here (myslef included) has seen a timeslip formo ne, but most magazines have been getting low-mid 5 sec 0-60 times and high 13's at around 101-102ish. I know I"m bench racing, but still. The SLK350 is no slouch.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:28 PM
My sister has an auto slk and last night I raced a friend of mine who has a 04 g35 coupe 6mt. We raced 3 times i believe from a stop, and we would basically be even until about 50 and then I would pull away after that, probably about 3 carlengths by 100. The same result all 3 times, the slk350 is faster than a g35 theres no doubt in my mind. It only weighs 3100 lbs, it has very aggressive gearing with a 7 speed transmission, and the numbers in the magaizne how it hitting the quarter in 13.8 seconds at a brisk 103 mph. (car and driver i believe)

Old 05-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Gangster Member
I took one the other day on the 134

Old 05-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Gsedanman
If I went for it, I'd have to up the power to match the G.
C.

If I used that theroy for every new car I purchased ( meaning power had to match the power of last car I had ) I would have to buy a Dodge Viper ! If you like the looks and power delivery, buy what ever you want! I personally have a wide variety of cars I would love to have. Some with much less and alot with much more power than the G.....unfortunately we don't have access to them in the U.S.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:43 PM
There is one issue about buying a Benz to be worried about if you are going to drive it hard though.....the Transmissions are very weak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Z2G
although i find the new slk very nice, i've always considered the slk's as chic cars...like miata's.

Old 05-22-2005, 02:16 PM
honestly...everyone who i've asked says the slk (previous generation) looks a lot like a girls car...the newer generation still does look feminine...with that said i would definitely get an M3 convertible if i could afford one

Old 05-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by brittain
I had my G up on autotrader.com for a couple of months and the SLK was one that I was considering. I test drove a couple 350s and was very disappointed, it was very sluggish. I tried to find an SLK55 to try out, but they are pretty hard to find- Im sure that would be a much better option. The 350 is still a little too feminine for me, the 2 seat layout wasnt practical, and the performance just wasnt there. I could overlook the lack of a backseat for the AMG, and it does have a more aggressive look. Also test drove the C55 AMG and wasnt really that impressed either.
2 seats are not practical..But a slk has 2 seats. Also I find it difficult to believe a slk320 outperforms a 350z.. Now if you are speaking status and maybe build quality then I would tend to agree. Now slk55, then there is no comparison.
I do however wish you much success in your search.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:16 PM
I stand corrected on the performance statement.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:17 PM
My gf has an SLK 350 and although it is really nice, its a totally different car than the G... personally I prefer my G but the SLK does have its advantages... here's a comparison, i'll try to be as objective as possible...

Power:
Supposedly the SLK is faster, she has the 7 Speed Auto and i have a 5AT G so comparing Auto to Auto they feel about the same, although the G's manual mode is easier to use IMO. The G has a louder and better sounding exhaust note so that kind of makes it seem faster but the smaller SLK is easier to throw around... I think it would be a good race in straight line acceleration.

One annoying thing I found with the 7 Speed Auto is that shifting manually, you have to move the gear stick left or right... left to downshift and right to upshift as opposed to the G's down to downshift and up to upshift... it takes getting used to and the first time i test drove the SLK i accidently put it to neutral lol... other than that the 7 Speed auto is pretty good, has more customization type features, a comfort/sport mode and if you hold the gear lever to the left a couple seconds it automatically downshifts to the best gear for acceleration... no double downshifting needed...

Ride comfort:
My gf's SLK doesn't have the sport suspension so her's is softer than my G's with sport suspension. Steering wise, the SLK is loose compared to the G. The G has more responsive steering and that gives it a better over-all feel IMO. I like the stiffer sport suspension on my G but the SLK's ride is very smooth. Exhaust noise is minimal so when you have the windows and top up, its a very quiet cabin...

Interior quality:
SLK has much better interior than the G hands down. The layout of the dash is much better designed, and the materials themselves are better. You don't have any cargo room at all though since its a roadster and only two seats. There are some quirks in the entertainment system and steering wheel controls that bug me... for instance, you can't toggle between your preset stations using the steering wheel controls, you can only scan to the next available station... The entertainment package plays MP3 DVDs/CDs but it seems the system can only randomize playback within one folder and you have to manually move to the next folder... bad design if you want some organization and especially if you use a DVD to hold MP3s... Other than those pet peeves, the interior blows the G's interior away, even the 05s...

The best thing about the SLK is the convertible hard top... on the occasions that I have driven my gf's car, i always get looks from everyone... sometimes i even put the top up/down during a red light and the stares continue lol... downside is that you can get sunburned easily if you drive around too much in the sun... need to always have sunblock available in the car...

Over-all the SLK is a better car for status and picking up chicks lol... and you are paying a few thousand dollars more than the G... performance and value definitely goes to the G... and at least the G is a little more practical where you can fit more stuff in there... if the SLK is your only car, you'll have problems... for a weekend cruiser it's nice...

you can get a decently equiped SLK350 for under $50K but i'm not really sure its worth it if you're looking for performance... coolness factor, i think its a great looking car with a nice interior, nice features and smooth ride. Would i trade my G in for it? probably not but I don't have to lol...

Old 05-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Raced the new SLK350 in my G

I had one girl in my car, and the SLK driver was alone.

Raced him off the line twice, and he kept up with me every bit of the way... at some points he had his nose leading a bit...

That car is fast! I'm very impressed..
If i had the money I'd buy one for sure..

I find that Mercedes has better mid range power...
I used to own one ,and this SLK was pulling a head at times..

Old 05-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
I would never buy a Mercedes. I want to drive the car, not have it in the shop.

Great looking cars, some very fast, but not worth the chitty reliability.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Reconsider the M3. It's the perfect upgrade to the G35; a real classic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trading my G35 for SLK350, who would?