G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Aggressive Manumatic Shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 04:17 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Dude, what's with your G wearing blue eyeliner? That's so 80's.

In my case, I was winding the hell out of her on a straight-away. I felt the hard shift going 2-3. It wasn't anything I worried about - if you ever sat in my truck while it was shifting under a load, you wouldn't either.
Yeah...only my 2-3 shift is kinda hard. the others are softer. Not too worried, just making sure my trannies not gonna fall off from doing it too much

Old 06-24-2005, 04:22 PM
any kind of driving is going to put wear on your tranny....but.....
it's built to take wear & tear.

Now beating on it.... like reving in neutral & dropping it into drive is BAD!
............................ putting a 500hp twin turbo and flogging it is BAD!

lots of twisty torque on circular parts makes gears strip ............ BAD!

Our computer will not downshift, if it means the revs will go to redline...good!

Wear & tear..yes.......bad...not really....... it's built for that kind of regular use

Old 06-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are worried that much about it, and use MM alot - think about getting a tranny cooler. They are not much money at all, and will save your transmission from the excess heat you may be causing by shifting more than normal. Heat is by far the biggest thing that kills auto transmissions.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:01 PM
I have experienced some problem when driving in MM. I was driving rather agressively & I shifted a little late. The car basically shut down for a second. Does it have a rev limiter that would cause this?

Old 06-24-2005, 05:05 PM
EZZ
Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto
If you are worried that much about it, and use MM alot - think about getting a tranny cooler. They are not much money at all, and will save your transmission from the excess heat you may be causing by shifting more than normal. Heat is by far the biggest thing that kills auto transmissions.
What takes the abuse in the auto tranny when it "bangs" into gear. Is it the gears or the torque converter or both? I would think the gears take the most abuse.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Still curious what optimal downshifting would be at. When I down **** the Rpms are at 2,000, 3,000, 4,000 etc etc what is ideal for downshifting.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by KuRuPT
Still curious what optimal downshifting would be at. When I down **** the Rpms are at 2,000, 3,000, 4,000 etc etc what is ideal for downshifting.
its depends...
if your road racing and say you want to slow down(always with your brakes) to go around a corner, you want to downshift to the gear that will give you about 3500rpm's+, or so, out of the corner. That's where the power band really begins & it will pull you out of the hole faster. Down shifting to slow your car sounds cool, but in racing it slows you down.

now if your on the street & want to use your engine to slow you down & rip out around a corner, tranny does the slowing(4500rpms), light on the brakes, turn & goose it.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:05 PM
1 thing do avoid though, when i'm driving on the street & using m/m mode, if i'm slowing to a complete stop I DO NOT downshift into 1st gear, it will clunk.

But if I'm slowing down with the intention of needing 1st gear & stomping on it, I'll downshift into 1st gear,that's fine, no clunk.

It seems only when i'm stoping & downshifting into 1st to I get that clunk, so I don't do it.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:07 PM
the 2-1 shift will clunk at certain speeds. When available go to 3 before stopping.

As regards the bang for lifting the throttle- that's new to me. I normally shift life a manual from 2-3 by lifting the throttle, shifting then easing back on the gas and I never get teh bang. Also the last time I went in for service, I made sure taht I had the latest tranny program available- and since then I have not had to try so hard to avoid the bang. In fact I haven't had it in the past month since getting it checked out. Resetting the ECU may also smooth out the shifts. A grounding kit that also includes the 6th and 7th wire should help. Right now I only have the 5 wire kit and even that seemed to smooth out the shifts a little I heard that the 6th and 7th wires do wonders. I plan to obtain those soon.

Old 06-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Has any1 besides me ever forgotten they were in MM mode with the music blasting and on the cell phone? Ended up passing redline and automatically moving into second. That's not good ;/

But, I beat on my car all the time. 10,000 miles, no probs as of yet. I don't expect any either from a Japanese automobile.

Old 06-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Yo,

Everytime I use MM shifting, I dont downshift, It automatically does it. If you look @ the gauges, the numbers go down automatically when your slowing down. I ve had no problems @ all. I usually shift @ 2000rpm-3000rpms depending if I want everyone to hear the rumble in the exhaust. I heard the G35 automatically downshift for you...anyone else heard this before?

Peace. 1

Old 06-25-2005, 03:45 PM
It will automatically downshift if you slow down. It wuill not if you floor it. It works the same as a manual otherwise. It will not automatically upshift either, while in MM mode, unless this is some new feature.

Old 06-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by rs2183
Has any1 besides me ever forgotten they were in MM mode with the music blasting and on the cell phone? Ended up passing redline and automatically moving into second. That's not good ;/

But, I beat on my car all the time. 10,000 miles, no probs as of yet. I don't expect any either from a Japanese automobile.
Not gonna lie, I'll admit that its happened to me a few times

Anyway, I'm pretty much the same way. I drive it pretty hard. Maybe this is a bad way to think about it, but I've got that upgraded 100,000 mile warranty, so if anything goes wrong its covered, and nobody in my family usually ever even keeps cars past 70,000 miles, so if it lasts that long I'm happy.

Old 06-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rs2183
Uh... No.

Old 06-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Obsessive Owner
I have noticed this too. You notice it because in manumatic mode, you shift at 5.5k, and when in auto and floored, the car shifts at 6100 rpm. This is why you notice the thunk, i think.

-Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aggressive Manumatic Shifting