G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How can anyone buy a Z?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How can anyone buy a Z?

both great cars....

i love my z (and the handles) b/c of its raw, visceral edge.

the g seems to offer more *value* but hey i wanted a sports car - not value. I dont need back seats. My wife and i are presently deciding btw a more practical car for her...looks like a 330 Ci vert vs the 03' CLK vert.

Old 06-14-2003, 09:13 PM

Infiniti's are not known for good resale values as compared to Lexus and Acuras.I think the Z's heritage will help it's resale value.Just my opinion.

2003.5 G35 Sedan
2002 Accord V6 Coupe
2003 350Z

Old 06-14-2003, 10:52 PM

Sadly, I agree with Noel. It sucks but It might be the truth.

"Dont start none, won't be none"

Old 06-14-2003, 10:54 PM
G SQUAD

Let the pro tell you why the G is better!

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

CAR AND DRIVER ONLINE:

I'm starting to see 350Zs roaming the streets of L.A., and the design is not growing on me as I thought it would. Reason enough to buy an Infiniti G35 coupe instead. It's a great-looking car with a just-about-perfect stance, and it flaunts elegant contours. So it's 7 hp down on the Z-car; big deal, there's enough power to have fun with, and the slightly longer wheelbase helps avoid the dreaded freeway hop with which the 350Z is amply endowed. And then there's the back seat. At six foot five, I contend that only gnomes can sit back there, but the space is great for briefcases and jackets. The final point in the argument? Infiniti dealers. Case closed.
—Barry Winfield

There will come a time during the ownership of a 350Z when one fantasizes about hauling more than a single passenger and enjoying luggage capacity beyond that of a toothbrush and a pair of Speedos. At that point one might wish he or she had opted for the 350's larger and more elegant brother, the Infiniti G35 coupe. This is one tasty machine, a legitimate two-plus-two with accommodations for a duet of rear-seat travelers and ample trunk space for weekend jaunts. Heavier by 122 pounds and down by seven horsepower against the Z, this is not so much a sports car but rather a captivating grand tourer that ranks with the best in the world.
—Brock Yates

2003.5 - G35 6spd - Diamond Graphite/Graphite leather, prem, aero package/kit <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Balzac72 on 06/14/03 08:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-14-2003, 11:36 PM

heres a thought...

imagine in the domestic market where both cars are sold as nissan - which has a greater following...the Fairlady or skyline? thats Non GTR there guys...

its pointless

lets just be happy that we can have an opinion and choose car that reflects it!

Old 06-15-2003, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my thought exactly, I too looked at the Z before i bought the G but never drove the Z, so i can't comment on performance. However, the Zs interior seemed to have a very plain feel to me. I also preferred the look of the G, but thats just personal opinion. That "stabilizer bar" in the rear of the Z, was a very poor idea IMO, it cuts the limited amount of storage space to even LESS, not smart. Consider the warranty difference of 36k mi VS 60k mi and at a price difference of only a few grand, the G is a much better value. No wonder the 04s are going up in price!

The real competition for me was the bmw z4, but its more expensive overall, and they really seem to nickel and dime you with the add on packages you need. (Leather, fog lights, alarm, wheel upgrade, power roof, etc,etc.) By the time you get a comparable z4 the price tag is +40k. Thats a ton of money for a car with only 2 seats!

6MT red/willow, premium, aero

Old 06-15-2003, 10:18 PM

In my mind, the one and only thing the Z has over the G is heritage. And I'll give it props for that. Performance? Nah, 7 horses and 122 less pounds won't give you that much and the G makes up for it in better handling and braking anyway. Since styling is subjective and I've heard people swing both ways, there's no clear winner there. But the G offers 2 extra seats, better luxury and interior, usable storage space, better warranty, superior service, comfortable ride, and seats that have been described as second only to Recaros.

All this versus heritage...hmmmm...

The choice was easy for me.

Someone also pointed out that everyone seemed to be looking at the Z first and then went with the G. There's a reason for that...the Z was hyped and released far earlier than the G. I had been reading about the upcoming Z for years (ever since the concept drawings after the last Z's demise) before I heard a thing about the G. Heck, I was certain a year ago that my next car would be either the new Z or a 330Ci. But when I saw and heard about the coupe, all that changed because it bridged the gap between those 2 cars perfectly.

Old 06-15-2003, 10:53 PM

a G handles better than a z now?
you guys are too much.

no strut tower brace
more weight
longer w/b
softer springs
no suspension reinforced hard points....

= better handling....

pass the pipe - i wanna toke.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:01 PM

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....ber=3&preview=

I'll even quote for you: "And thanks to its slightly longer wheelbase (112.2 in. to the Z's 104.3), the car feels more balanced and stable through corners than the Z, especially noticeable through quick left/right transitions where the Z's rear end can become a touch twitchy. In fact, the G35 recorded better handling numbers at the test track. It achieved 0.92g around the skidpad and danced through the slalom at 67.7 mph, besting the 350Z's 0.89g and 65.6 mph."

And just in case you don't trust R&T, here's a bit from C&D:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

"But whether because of the meatier 18-inch rubber that is standard on the six-speed coupe or a relocated center of gravity (or both), the G35 coupe remains unflappably stable and neutrally balanced. Indeed, the coupe turned in a scorching 0.90-g run on the skidpad, the highest number by 0.02 g we have recorded for the entire G35/Z family."

Any questions?

Old 06-16-2003, 02:20 AM

I have one question/comment.

OBVIOUSLY, by your informative reply you tend to read, as opposed to some others who seem to want a "toke" instead.

Ohhh well .... to each his own, which ironically suits this thread rather well.

Laterrrrr G's [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-16-2003, 09:01 AM

ahhh....thats right the bench racers rule!

Old 06-16-2003, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

ahhh....thats right the bench racers rule!

<hr></blockquote>

Someone help me out, did my eyes just roll at 0.92g, or was it the inferior sort of eye roll that even a Z driver could match?

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 06-16-2003, 11:56 AM

It's ok qirex, I understand you must be a bit miffed that you plunked down $30+k for a 2-seater that despite a stiff, bouncy ride and a space-consuming stability bar can't outhandle it's 2+2 counterpart. Heck, I'd be pissed too if I were you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How can anyone buy a Z?