G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Here's a funny question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a funny question

So we all obviously love our cars. At the same time, we all are anxious to make them better than they already are with mods in and out. The question I have is: How do mods, lets just say the basic intake>header>exhaust system, affect the life and quality of the car? Sure it gives us the lil' boost we need for now but i mean in the long run. Will it shorten the life of the car? I'm sure that Nissan has done all of the research necessary for their cars to be in optimal shape upon reaching the consumer. Infiniti definitely, no? I guess is it worth it in the long run? Just curiously curious.

Foobs

Old 06-30-2005, 02:22 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Fooboy
So we all obviously love our cars. At the same time, we all are anxious to make them better than they already are with mods in and out. The question I have is: How do mods, lets just say the basic intake>header>exhaust system, affect the life and quality of the car? Sure it gives us the lil' boost we need for now but i mean in the long run. Will it shorten the life of the car? I'm sure that Nissan has done all of the research necessary for their cars to be in optimal shape upon reaching the consumer. Infiniti definitely, no? I guess is it worth it in the long run? Just curiously curious.

Foobs

Can't see any minor changes we do having much effect on longevity provided they're done properly and maintenance is done on schedule.
C.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the cars of people that do performance mods (not bling mods) tend have a shorter life span and more trouble than those that don't. Why? Well, we drive them harder. We are usually going faster when we hit somehting I can't say this applies to ALL modders just most.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
I'm willing to bet that in theory, our mods SHOULD add life to our cars. However, we totally offset the benefits by driving the hell out of cars.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:45 PM
the more mods a person put on, the more chances that he's driving the hell out of it to test performance differences, but it doesn't always equate to shorter lifespan, one could drive a car to its max in a 'proper' way. but yeah. not all 'modders' are the same.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:51 PM
If you ask me, increased horsepower and torque mean increased stress on the entire drivetrain. Typically, that means a shorter lifespan for those componenets. Of course, some mods are able to offset that by reducing intake, exhaust, and under-hood temps so it's probably tough to tell.

In addition, it seems like most G mods add negligible amounts of power so you probably aren't looking at a significant difference in wear and tear between stock and modded G's (assuming they stay N/A).

Old 06-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As one all timer noted so perfectly when a young enthusiasts asked him what that huge thing sticking out of his engine and hood (blower) does, he said "its keep my car in the shop more than it does on the road"... LOL

Instead of commenting on the amount of power it gained... Its FUNNY!