G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Near death with Bridgestone Potenza!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 01:21 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Defintely talk to the dealer about warranty and guarantee. Between the dealer and tire manu., you should be reimbursed.
G/L

Old 07-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something similar has happened to me with my other car... Low tire pressure and the tire sidewall ripped and actually came off the rim. I saw the tire go past me as i slowed down to see what the hell was wrong. I thought it was funny, but i was pissed about my rim.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Try looking on the NHTSA Website

Man, I hate to hear about that but I'm glad your okay. You might want to go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov and see if anyone else has filed a similar complaint or had a similar problem with the tires. I had a Nissan Titan and this site REALLY helped me with my lemon law case. Hope this helps.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The separation can happen to any non-runflat tire if you drive flat long enough.

hope Bridgestone is compassionate about your incident and gives you
a free tire.

Originally Posted by E_K
Thanks for all the input. I'm glad that I posted this and got the collective thoughts of this forum.

I think you guys are right. A slow leak probably lead to the rim cutting through the tire is the most likely explanation. I've incurred flat tires before while driving. This wouldn't have been so bad if the tire didn't fall apart. I've sent an email to Bridgestone customer affairs with links to the pictures, so we'll see what they have to say. I'll send an email to Nissan USA as well.

When I finally made it to the gas station, the rim wasn't hot at all. It was warm, but no hotter than after my usual commute home. But I'll definitely keep a close eye on it for awhile.

I tried to clean the rim up a bit. I smoothed out the damage a tiny bit, not wanting to remove much metal. If it won't hold air with a tire on, then I'll take it to the rim fixers.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:52 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
E_K, glad to hear YOU'RE okay.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:33 PM
I would also check how negative the camber is on your Z. For instance, I had a 95 Mustang GT, and i got into and accident with the car. Actually fell asleep driving and ran right into the curb, everything looked ok, except my rim was bent and I needed a new tire, so I got both new, about 8 months later I was driving and my alternator died. Well when the tow truck guy pulled the car onto the bed, he noticed extremely bad wear on the inside of the tire. When I hit the curb, it knocked my tire out of alignment into a negative camber. I had been riding ont he outside edge of the tire, causing extreme wear to the wall, and i looked as it it was ready to blow at any moment. Actually it looked like it would have collapsed on the way home it was so bad. So the alternator was really a blessing in disguise me thinks considering my average highway speeds are around 85mph. BTW the tires were Duncrap SS 5000. I'm never getting those tires again.

I would check to see how negative the camber is especially if you drive the car hard. You might have had a blowout on the sidewall. Which would have also contributed to the burning rubber smell, as the tire disentegrated underneath you. Otherwise it may happen again.

Last edited by cscirpoli; 07-29-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
What rim is that? Stock 350z rim?

Old 07-29-2005, 04:53 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll check out the NHTSA site later today.

The car is totally stock, suspension wise. And aside from this mishap, it hasn't been involved in any accidents. When I took my original Pilot Sports off after 27K miles, they didn't look too bad as far as inner wear.

Those are stock 350Z track rims.

Again, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

Old 07-30-2005, 01:16 AM
This happened to me with my E30 M3 when it was new. Maybe 2000 miles on her and coming out of the toll plaza I hear this BRRP and smell smoke. Didn't feel anything (it was a rear wheel). I pull over and have no carcass left, only sidewalls and rim.

Now the cool thing, was that the sidewalls held up the weight of the car so the rim never touched ground. These were the Michelin Pilot MXXV tires - awesome dry, horrendous wet.

P