G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Lessons from school of hard knocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lessons from school of hard knocks

For those of you who take a great deal of pride in the appearance of your car's exterior and interior, taking your car in for service can sometimes become stressful. I keep my cars in almost showroom condition at all times, so when something is damaged I immediately notice it. On different service visits I had the following damage done to my car: small cut in the leather on the steering wheel, small cut in the leather on the passenger seat, and two rims damaged.

None of the damage was egregious, and if I weren't such a perfectionist maybe I wouldn't have cared. BUT I don't think it's asking too much for my car to be returned to me in the same condition after the service work was completed, as it was prior to the service visit. On some occassions the service writer would apologize and make arrangements to have the damage repaired, but on others he would deny that they were responsible. Then I would have to spend lots of time escalating the problem until I got satisfaction.

About four years ago I decided that I would try something different when I took my car in for service. I would ask the service writer to carefully inspect my car's interior and exterior including the rims for any damage. After the inspection, the service writer would generally complement me for having such a great looking car, and then acknowledge that my car had no visible damage.

Maybe it was just a coincidence but ever since I added this little step, my car has come back undamaged after the service was completed. So for those of you who have had problems similar to mine, you may want to give my suggestion a try.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We walk around my car first, then their loaner. I note my rims, bumpers (corners and lower parts), doors and definately the interior. If the dealer doesnt want to do it, I'll go to another dealer. It saves us both alot of hassle to do the walk around.

I have had similar incidents as you.. and yeah, the initial walk around made requesting fixes very easy. In fact, the last time it was in, they gouged the kick plate. It was already on order when I arrived and they pointed it out to me first.

I also *always* wash my car before I go in. Not only is it easier to see any damage, but it sends a message. They even comment/laugh about it (last time it was still wet). I respond that I cant expect them to take careful care of my car if I dont. All they say is "true...." Also helps me not get that complimentary wash by accident.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats a great idea, never had a problem (knock on wood), but thats def something i'm gonna do next time i go in for service

Old 07-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Great suggestion... I don't know how I've neglected to do this for so long. I just had to have my car repaired this week due to "lot damage". Fortunately the dealer paid for it but it's still a burden to have to go through all of the run around trying to get them to accept blame and do the right thing. I only had a spoiler installed.. When it was returned to me I had a few fine scratches on the rear bumper and a deep scratch(to the plastic) on the left skirt... Infiniti? I owned a Mustang prior to the G and I didn't have to worry about this sort of thing... While I'm at it, If anyone can recommend a quality Infiniti dealer in SoCal please let me know... Thanks

Old 07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
I'll go you one further. The service people know I love my car (and their service). We had a hail storm coming (I saw it on weatherunderground.com), I called them about 20 mins before it was going to pass over their lot and they pulled my car in from the service lot!!!!! I know they had pulled it in because I had some business across the street and passed by a few mins later and they definately brought it in..

Later after the storm, they pulled it out in the rain... and apologized it was wet when I picked it up. I laughed and told them I wasnt *that* obsessive compulsive. haha..

I know they dont even think about that with other cars, I've just impressed on them that it was important to me. They've been golden ever since. Of course, they have great people there.. I know I'm pretty lucky to have one of the few dealers like this.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
I take my car to Nissan if it's just for an oil change, I've known the guys for years and they let me hang inside the shop. So I know exactly what's going on with my car.

When I take it to Infiniti for the major scheduled services, I'll be sure to put huge DO NOT WASH signs on the windshield and steering wheel. Seems to work.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:53 PM
I thought that it was a most that they doa walk around on your the car before they take it in... I know down here they do that... but asking them to check the interior sounds like a good idea also... hmm... next time I take my car... I'll ask them to check it out... but so far so good... since I've taken my car in... no problems yet...

Old 07-29-2005, 01:06 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes great ideas.......well worth doing.
C.