G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

this could be bad

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this could be bad

hey, i just put the avon 550 all season tires on the rear of my stock 18s but still have the pilot sports in the front. the rear tires sidewhile is huge compared to the low profile pilot sports. was wondering if this would effect anything. am sort of dissapointed with the avons, they are very quiet and give a smoother ride than the p/s but theyre deff not a g35 6mt kind of tire. this is just the first day, maybe things'll change

Old 08-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Did you get the same size tire? You can't really compare a summer tire with an all-season tire in terms of handling.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:45 PM
HOLY CRAP NO ONE GET AVONS, or at least dont run pilot sports in the front and these in the back. i went over to philly today and seriously could not go over 65 without fearing for my life, the car would fishtail on any bump. its rediculous, i dont know whether i should put pilot sports on the back and give the avons a chance and put them in the front. im prob gonna go with the ps in the back because they grip so well

Old 08-13-2005, 09:49 PM
You mixed all season and summer performance tires... that is already asking for trouble... Did you keep the stagger setup at least?

Old 08-13-2005, 09:58 PM
ye 245 45 18, the sidewall is huge on that tire, im thinking it could have something to do with that, or maybe theyre over inflated, i tried to come up with all these excuses, but im gonna stick with avons suck.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:36 PM
KLN
Well I would first check the tire pressure like you stated. Also, I believe I read that new tires need some break-in time because they still have gel residue on the treads that they use so they don't stick to the molds when they are made.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mixing brands is usually a bad idea with tires, unless you get compable ones. Like stated above, allseason and summer is a bad mix. Also pilot sports are pretty good tires and the Avon's, well I haven't heard anything good about them, so I'm going to assume they are middle tier tires. If you want your handeling to improve, you may want to change your fronts, and keep your pilot sports in storage for the times you need a quick tire change.

Hooman

Old 08-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Don't badmouth AVON just because you are improperly using them. I have them, and I love them, as well as the amount of people on Tirerack that have pushed them to the #1 rated Ultra-High Performance rated A/S tire.

You are comparing not only All Seaons to Summers.. but half all season with half summers, different brands, different types, different sizes. Not good. I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing with good results before.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by heeb
Don't badmouth AVON just because you are improperly using them. I have them, and I love them, as well as the amount of people on Tirerack that have pushed them to the #1 rated Ultra-High Performance rated A/S tire.

You are comparing not only All Seaons to Summers.. but half all season with half summers, different brands, different types, different sizes. Not good. I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing with good results before.
sorry, I wasn't bad mouthing AVON, I was just saying I don't know if they are up to the same caliber as Pilot sports. But I did tell him that he could switch the pilot sports for AVON's and that would make his handeling better.

Hooman

Old 08-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Hooman6MT
sorry, I wasn't bad mouthing AVON, I was just saying I don't know if they are up to the same caliber as Pilot sports. But I did tell him that he could switch the pilot sports for AVON's and that would make his handeling better.

Hooman
i think he was talking to me. well the whole reason for me purchasing the tire was because of their rating on tire rack. hooman, i dont see why putting avons in the front would give me better handeling than putting ps in the back. and i think these tires are about broken in, put 350 miles on them yesterday. as soon as i put the tires on i felt the steering wheel lose about 20% sensitivity, the car went from a g35 to a unpredictable go-cart, feels really unsafe. the tires look really ugly too, next time im just gonna stick with the low pros

Old 08-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thatg
ye 245 45 18, the sidewall is huge on that tire
The sidewall should be the same size as your summer 245/45/18 tire. If it is not, the tires are not really the same size, and could be part of your problem.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by dave
The sidewall should be the same size as your summer 245/45/18 tire. If it is not, the tires are not really the same size, and could be part of your problem.

Yeah... I was going to post the same thing... how could the sidewall be when it's a 245/45/18... that rating means the sidewall is a certain size.

Old 08-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by thatg
i think he was talking to me. well the whole reason for me purchasing the tire was because of their rating on tire rack. hooman, i dont see why putting avons in the front would give me better handeling than putting ps in the back. and i think these tires are about broken in, put 350 miles on them yesterday. as soon as i put the tires on i felt the steering wheel lose about 20% sensitivity, the car went from a g35 to a unpredictable go-cart, feels really unsafe. the tires look really ugly too, next time im just gonna stick with the low pros
if you put the same brand, type, etc tires on all four wheels, you will notice the car isn't as squirly. It will should feel safer, because all the tires will act about the same in a turn or high speed situation. Right now, the back acts one way, and the front another.

I had a problem like this in a 350Z where the front tires where a no name brand and rear were P-Zero's. Car's slip light would turn on all the time, no matter how fast or slow the turn. Really scary on freeway on ramps that bank, could would always bog down and feel like it was about to understeer.

Hooman

Old 08-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Your tires will feel better after you put some miles on it. You need to remove the layer of slick that comes on new tires. After a while, it will disapate and feel a lot better. Just give it some time. Everyone that just changes one set of F or R tires will always go through this.

Plus, mixing the compounds of the tires is a bad idea also. A/S and Summer shouldn't be put together like that.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:25 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mixed brands + mixed purpose = bad handling.
Choose one or other bro.
C.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: this could be bad