G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I HIT an UNKNOWN object on HWY at night... Insurance knowledge help..(2 pix, 56K ok)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I HIT an UNKNOWN object on HWY at night... Insurance knowledge help..(2 pix, 56K ok)

To make the story short... I was on second to the left lane on Hwy 60 west (in LA county) right before Nogalas exit. Suddenly I saw some unknown object in front of me (looks like some plastic thing) but it was too late for me to react. I was driving around 70mph at 9pm. I hit that thing and now my front bumper is dented and the cover/fender underneath is pulled off.

There were also two cars pulled over on the shoulder of hwy and I assume they hit that thing too. I didn't get a chance to talk to them cuz the shoulder was very narrow so I felt unsafe to pull over there.

Q. I contacted my insurance agent and she told me basically under this situation this is driver's fault. I have $500 deductable but if I make a claim it is going to affect my insurance rate/record.

Is that true? I am with Farmers Insurance. It does make sense if you are driving on open road in day time and hit an unknown object in the middle of the road... They can blame you for not paying attention. But at night... no lights on hwy, there is really no way that anyone can react to dodge. I don't get how insurance can make me take the blame for that.

Did any G owner here have similar experience??

I already dropped off my G to the shop for an estimate... I am worried that it might damage my car underneath (like exhaust pipe etc)... But at the same time, maybe ill just get a kenstyle bodykit.. hehe... I try to be as positive as I can...

Thank you...

Attached Thumbnails I HIT an UNKNOWN object on HWY at night... Insurance knowledge help..(2 pix, 56K ok)-g-bumper-2.jpg   I HIT an UNKNOWN object on HWY at night... Insurance knowledge help..(2 pix, 56K ok)-g-bumper-1.jpg  
Old 08-26-2005, 07:13 AM
Alright I've worked with State Farm Insurance for many years. Basically it's considered an accident. Even if you didn't see it...you still hit it. So it'll basically count against you like any accident would.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know what it was that you hit?

Old 08-26-2005, 07:55 AM
mbq62:
Thanks for the info. But does it count as an accident that would definitely affect your current insurance rate or? If I park my car outside and got vandilized... that kind of claim sometimes does not increase insurance rate though...

Another question... what if that is something falls down from someone's car in front of you that snap right into your car. Is that considered my fault?
What if you got hit by a rock on hwy and there is a damage.. Is that driver's fault too?
I have not filed a claim in past few years... Is it possible that my agent can try not to affect my insurance rate this time? Or policy IS policy, there is nothing that an agent can do about this?

I just would like to get cleared on insurance policy... so I know my insurance agent does not suck. Thank you.

Repsol:
Sorry, I have no idea what that is.... And I couldn't go back to the hwy to doublecheck...

Old 08-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Sorry to hear that, because of it was part of the highway, or even a sign or something that had fallen, you could technically try to make a claim against the city you live in. However, if it was just a random object that was out there, then you don't have many options.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Any time you make a claim on your car it is going to affect your insurance record. Duh the insurance company is going to have to PAY...of course they are going to count and remember every penny!

Old 08-26-2005, 09:56 AM
OMG

I had exactly same problem as you did..

The UKNOWN thing must be those ripped off semi Tires.

did it look like black plastic looking thing..and when you hit that "object" you thought your tire was blown or something? Well those shredded tires are lethal on our car.

Oh and it cost me 1700 for including Y-pipe being torn out and exhaust hole. I just got new exhaust and new pipes and new under plastic covers. If I were you, I would just get under panel part from the dealer and install it by yourself or the bodyshop. Don't call the Insurance or your premium will go rocketing unless you are 25+
And make sure you are sure that those under panels are installed PERFECTLY or else you will have more trouble later on. IT WILL RIP AGAIN UNDER HIGH SPEED. SO make sure you go to nice bodyshop. It won't cost you more than 300 bux.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:05 PM
I was in the carpool lane with going about 65 ,405 fwy in LA, it was clear and sunny and all of a sudden a piece of very metal about a foot long bounced up from the car in front of me. It bounced about windshield height then as it went down under the car it sounded like a massive hit and car felt like I lost the tire and part of the rim. I got to the shoulder,with 2 other cars, and the piece was still jamed into the front spring and was revolving against the rim/ground. My insurance said I could have a point against me if the adjuster decided it was my fault. I was pissed because I could have been killed and all they can say is that. Mercury ins. 5 plus years no claims, Worthless.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:16 PM
damn that sucks, sorry.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Usually each insurance company has a dollar limit trigger that will affect your rate if you claim on something like this.
I have Nationwide Ins and last month I backed into a dumpster (Oh I can hear the laughter already) but anyway, the insurance claim came to $1300 total including rental car whilst mine was being fixed. My Deductible was $250 and my insurance will not go up. Nationwide has a claim ceiling of <$1600 before an "at fault" claim will affect your premium. Im in NC and I do have safe driver rating. I was told that if i get a ticket or have another claim in the next 3 years then my insurance will increase. So i guess just drive carefully.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:38 PM
I had my G parked on the street on garbage day(Big mistake). Looking out the window I saw the garbage man drop the can and scrape it across my drivers side rear fender, look at it a drive off. I hit the roof, called the police and township. $1800 in damage, he scraped the hell out of it, about 2 feet long. They are paying for everything, the township was great and let me take it to wherever I wanted for repairs.
About a week before that some Billy Bob in a 78 baby blue Ford f 150, slammed his door into my passangers side, I didn't see it happen but remember the vehicle. Nic elittle dinger, $100 to repair.

I hate NJ, to many people.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1BADV6
Any time you make a claim on your car it is going to affect your insurance record. Duh the insurance company is going to have to PAY...of course they are going to count and remember every penny!
Actually that is incorrect. A comprehensive claim (theft, fire, vandalism, falling object hitting your car) is not something that would go on your record and your insurance company cannot increase your premium because of that type of claim. If you have too many comp claims they could end up cancelling you because they consider you too high of a risk.

ensheep - To answer your question, a falling object that hits your car would also be considered a comp claim and not chargeable against you. Now in your case, it sounds like you hit the object, which would be covered under collision and is definitely something that would count against you and yes it is considered a solo accident. Any time you hit something/someone, it will always be considered an accident that can be chargeable against you regardless of the $$ amount of damage. The rule of thumb to keep in mind is that you are expected to drive at a reasonable speed and leave enough room in front of you to be able to avoid hitting someone/something.

BTW, I have been in the insurance business for almost 10 years now working for a broker/agent. These things can get kinda technical but in your case, it is definitely an accident and unfortunately it will probably cause your rates to increase. Sorry bro.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all da support from my G bros...

To Hexxum:
What if this object was a "moving object" that actually hit me? I think the object was hit by some other car and jumped to my lane...

In addition, I do understand that insurance expects drivers to drive at a reasonable speed at a safe distance. However, shouldn't the insurance company consider the fact that there is limitation for human eyes to detect objects on hwy at night? I think even if I drive at 60mph and keep all safe distance with cars in front of me I would still hit that unknown object (or that object would still be hitting me). @_@

But I will find out the dollar limit trigger.. My estimate was $800 so right now I may as well pay off without a claim (since my deductable is $500).

Well, I will look at a bright side and get myself a bodykit then -)

Old 08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Actually that is incorrect. A comprehensive claim (theft, fire, vandalism, falling object hitting your car) is not something that would go on your record and your insurance company cannot increase your premium because of that type of claim. If you have too many comp claims they could end up cancelling you because they consider you too high of a risk.
You just made my point. EVERYTHNG COUNTS no matter what it is. If I get too many comps I get cancelled. So they are "counting" (AKA going on my record) how many times I have filed comps and will drop me when I exceed whatever amount they deem as too high of a risk. They skip paying and go straight to dropping..same difference right? When I go to another insurance company they are going to ask why I am coming there, why I was dropped...blah blah blah...and some other ******* insurance company charges me higher rates right? I still pay right? I don't know where you are going with this.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ensheep
To make the story short... I was on second to the left lane on Hwy 60 west (in LA county) right before Nogalas exit. Suddenly I saw some unknown object in front of me (looks like some plastic thing) but it was too late for me to react. I was driving around 70mph at 9pm. I hit that thing and now my front bumper is dented and the cover/fender underneath is pulled off.

There were also two cars pulled over on the shoulder of hwy and I assume they hit that thing too. I didn't get a chance to talk to them cuz the shoulder was very narrow so I felt unsafe to pull over there.

Q. I contacted my insurance agent and she told me basically under this situation this is driver's fault. I have $500 deductable but if I make a claim it is going to affect my insurance rate/record.

Is that true? I am with Farmers Insurance. It does make sense if you are driving on open road in day time and hit an unknown object in the middle of the road... They can blame you for not paying attention. But at night... no lights on hwy, there is really no way that anyone can react to dodge. I don't get how insurance can make me take the blame for that.

Did any G owner here have similar experience??

I already dropped off my G to the shop for an estimate... I am worried that it might damage my car underneath (like exhaust pipe etc)... But at the same time, maybe ill just get a kenstyle bodykit.. hehe... I try to be as positive as I can...

Thank you...

Hey remember the story of the female rock singer who jumped out of her hummer limo onto the 405 fwy and motorist kept on hitting her not knowing what they hit. eeek...hope that wasn't your case.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I HIT an UNKNOWN object on HWY at night... Insurance knowledge help..(2 pix, 56K ok)