G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

CAN'T DRIVE WITH AC!!! (6 spd)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CAN'T DRIVE WITH AC!!! (6 spd)

Hey, I just saw this thread over at 6mt.net. Any other manual drivers here having the same problem? It seems that whenever I turn on the AC, the rev seems to drop quicker... I dunno if thats the case but I have a lot of difficulty shifting when my AC is on. I can get through my gears but like 2/5 times the whole thing is really jumpy. When the AC speed starts to go down, I can better drive the car (auto econ). I dunno if what I just typed makes any sense, but is anyone else having this issue? This isn't my first manual car, and I have never had this problem. I've driven a GT stang and a 350Z and didnt have this happen.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a problem. That happens with the AC on in a lot of cars. I find the revs drop even faster when the engine is still cold after startup.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:14 PM
this happens in every car as the compressor from the ac is belt driven... what drives the belts, the engine... that's y cars built for speed and racing don't have ac in them... that and it adds weight...

Old 09-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Yeah, it happens in all cars, you just have to adapt to it, you will.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Like everyone said, i think it is common for most cars.

I actually have different rpms I shift at when I have the AC on. Or I just wait to put the AC on until I am cruising.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive with your windows down and endure the heat, sacrfice cool air for higher RPM!

Old 09-23-2005, 02:08 AM
i didnt like driving with AC on, but after i got used to it, i like how the revs drop faster cuz it allows me to shift faster.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:06 AM
6mt.net??? Is that site still around? LOL

Old 09-23-2005, 10:13 AM
While it's normal, it does seem pretty pronounced in the G. And I thought the A/C used to sap the power on my POS commuter '03 Chevy Cavalier I used to have. I definately thought it wasn't going to be as noticeable in the G. This A/C issue is one of the only reasons I like auto-trans cars.

I've always been funny about driving with the windows down in order to have that bit of extra power and smoother operation. The downside is that you learn to drive your car without the A/C and have a harder time adapting when you do run it (silly passengers )

Old 09-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ac

Originally Posted by GT-Ron
I've always been funny about driving with the windows down in order to have that bit of extra power and smoother operation. The downside is that you learn to drive your car without the A/C and have a harder time adapting when you do run it (silly passengers )
I learned to drive smoothly with the AC on, due to driving to and from work every day, but then when I go out without the AC I feel the slight difference in RPMs and a whole lot of more power.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:08 AM
ussually ac takes away 40 horsepower

Old 09-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
Just go easier on it when you have the ac on. Cruising on the highway with the ac on has almost no effect on my mileage.

You guys think if cars stopped running on 12 volts and increased overall voltage that this problem would be nullified? There has been talk in recent years by manufacturers that they've wanted to increase voltage to accomodate all the electronics that vehicles have now. Their only reluctance is due to an increased safety risk because of the extra juice.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:31 PM
lol hello...of course your car is going to loose power when you have ac on, higher load on the alternator which leads to increased resistance agains the engine, and then the engine also has to crank the ac pulley. Which is even more resistance. So those two things will usually cause a noticeable difference in power...

Old 09-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Whenever it gets cold here in FL, I will see if I can notice a difference in RPM when I drive with no AirCOn on.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
While it's normal, it does seem pretty pronounced in the G. And I thought the A/C used to sap the power on my POS commuter '03 Chevy Cavalier I used to have. I definately thought it wasn't going to be as noticeable in the G. This A/C issue is one of the only reasons I like auto-trans cars.

You guys, lol. Pronounced loss? with a 270 LB/Ft engine? Trying driving a rotary powered vehicle at low RPM when there is no boost and maybe 130 or so Lb/Ft of torque. THAT is noticable, well, almost cripling at least until turbo spoolage. The torque of the VQ really does make driving with the AC on not all that noticible. For you that have a hard time shifting, try shifting more quickly, the decreased time between shifts will give the engine less time to drop revs and make shfts more smooth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CAN'T DRIVE WITH AC!!! (6 spd)