G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G in heavy rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G in heavy rain

Yesterday it rained like there was no tommorow in NY/NJ area. I unfortunatelly had to do a lot of driving. I was plesantly surprised that my G stuck to the pavement very good. Also going through deep water on the side of the road didnt cause the car to loose traction and it kept going absolutely straight, even at somewhat high speeds of 30-40 or so. Sometimes I couldnt even see one coming up, until I saw a huge splase of water next to me. I have the stock 18' rims and mischelin spotrs. What you guys/girls in NJ/NY area think about the G in heavy rain?

Old 07-23-2003, 12:19 PM
Re: G in heavy rain

I live in lower NY and I was caught driving in that same rain yesterday, too. I was surprised at how well the car handled. I thought it would do a lot worse, but, my car is only one month old, I'm wondering how good it will do once the tires have a little wear and tear on them.

Old 07-23-2003, 12:25 PM

For reference I have about 8000 miles on it, so I guess I am close to the half way point of the thread life. I must say the tire looks good to my eyes. I really hope I will get 20-25k miles out of them.

Old 07-23-2003, 01:20 PM

I too drove in the downpour yesterday. Handled great, a lot better then my civic did. I thought I was going to have to jump out of the car and lay on top of it when it started to hail. Good thing it was small and only lasted a minute. I would have died if the hail damaged my baby!

Caribbean Blue Coupe.. Premium Package, Aero Package, Navigation, Performance Wheel & Tire Package...
Coming Soon: Clear Bra, custom 12" sub enclosure...

Old 07-23-2003, 02:16 PM

New tires with deep tread grooves will do wonders for wet weather traction.

More credit should go to the tires than the car for good wet weather driving. But it's good to know that it behaved so well in that heavy rain (yeah, I'm in NY too....there were quite a few heavy downpours yesterday)

Old 07-23-2003, 03:13 PM

Yea the G's Sport Pilot's hand smoooooth and some what aggressive in the rain baby! It doesn't rain that bad over in So Cali but when it does my G w/ Pilot Sports and VDC work wonders [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

G35 Mafia Member # 01

Old 07-23-2003, 05:22 PM

Yeah the pilots are the best tires I had in heavy rain conditions, but on dry pavement I hate them when they are cold.

Old 07-23-2003, 05:51 PM

Actually, I think the Pilots are great in the dry and only above average in the wet.

Interestingly enough, I drove the G35 sedan today in some heavy rain. It hydroplaned much more than my coupe. It had the base 17" wheel package. I forgot to check to see which tires where on it.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:44 PM

Michellen Tires are the most expensive waste of money for tires ever. But mostly every car company uses them in the USA. They handle bad in dry and handle worse in wet.

I wish they came with the Bridgestone Potenza's RE070 like the japenese 350Z Fairlady and the new Skyline Coupe does.

Get the Bridgestone S03's. Those are the best tires ever in dry and wet.

Old 07-23-2003, 10:01 PM

I'm a little surprised to hear you say that...

The 350Z guys all seem to be upset that the G35 Coupe with the 18" wheels come with a superior tire than the Z.

Most of those Z guys even blame their stock tires for handling numbers less than those of the G.

I had Pilot Sports as original equipment tires on my M3, and I thought they were very good tires overall.....

Old 07-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

8,000+ miles on my 18's. In Northern NJ. Slip light never came on once and I was probably the most agressive driver. No one passed me on the highway. I went to a parking lot afterwards still in the nighttime downpour. Took 90 degree turns at 20 and 25 mph. No problem.

While I don't advise this, I did drive the coupe on 18's during the last snow storm we had. I wanted to see exactly how bad they are and what the limits were. 10 miles highway, 5 city and 5 suburbs. Slip light came on plenty of times, but it was insane how it corrected the car. Also pays to be a good driver and correcting your car when you start to feel loss of traction.

Old 07-23-2003, 11:48 PM

my coupe handles great in the rain - no issues. maybe it's because it sits in the garage when there is even 1% chance of percepetation. . unfortunately, the last three days have been really painful leaving the G in the garage, because it's been raining cats and dogs here in NJ.

Old 07-24-2003, 02:06 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

spyder, i think you are wrong. It is the opposite, the Pilots are much better than the Bridgestones that come on the Z. I even remember reading this in a magazine review of the G.

These pilots are great in both dry and wet. my only complaint is that they take forever to warm up and get sticky.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/Grounding Kit

Old 07-24-2003, 12:05 PM

remember those Michelin Pilot Sports are one of the best tires made. You'll want to buy a pair of the All Season ones for winter time(unless you have an SUV). They're about $265-$290 each.

Old 07-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

QUESTION..... DO ALL G35 COUPE AUTOMATICS COME ONLY WITH MICHELIN PILOTS? I DON'T WANT THE BRIDGESTONES.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G in heavy rain