G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Bra for winter trip???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bra for winter trip???

I will be making a three hour drive into PA in about two hours. I have a black bra for the car which I have never used.
Does any body think It would be a good idea to put it on for the drive or is this a bad idea in cold weather?

Thanks

Old 12-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why would it be a bad idea?.. it's suppose to protect your car.

How much did you pay for it? Sounds like a good idea for the winter.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Bras are meant for women... not expensive cars.

heh.. j/k

You could throw it on, but you have to watch out. We've been getting a lot of snow/rain/ice up north lately.... and Bras can actually do more damage than you would have by not even having a bra on it at all. If rain/snow/ice becomes embedded beneath the bra between the bra and the paint.... it can scratch your front end up.

Typically, they recommend not using a bra in rain, snow and ice.... and if I were you, I'd just leave it off. The biggest thing that the bra will protect you from is salt and rocks from highway department trucks that is being laid down in front of you or kicked up by other cars in front of you.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Have you guys seen that clear bra?... it pretty much sticks to the front of your car without leaving any space in between for any ice to get under.

It's not very noticeable either inless you really come and look at it.

I saw one on a G at the dealer in the showroom and I liked it.. but I was wondering what the cost would be... more than likely it is overpriced for a clear piece of plastic over your hood.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Premier Member

[QUOTE=partyman66]Bras are meant for women... not expensive cars.

heh.. j/k

You could throw it on, but you have to watch out. We've been getting a lot of snow/rain/ice up north lately.... and Bras can actually do more damage than you would have by not even having a bra on it at all. If rain/snow/ice becomes embedded beneath the bra between the bra and the paint.... it can scratch your front end up.

Ya, that is what I was afraid of not to mention that car bras are so 80's.
I bought it in case I make a long summer trip.
I think I will put it in the trunk just in case I feel it's necessary.

I have seen clear bras on Ebay for around thirty bucks. I wonder if they are the same thing that installers put on or a rip off product.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:55 PM
In 2001 when I bought my acura RSX I was doing 1000km a week, here in canada winter can get ugly so bought a Acura nose mask (Bra)

The first winter I had it in front and cleaning it (the bra) around every two weeks. The job of getting it off and washing it in the bath is unreal....You just cannot imagine scrubing salts, rock, snow on that thing. after the winter, I had to buff out a bit where the bra "ends" on th hood and fender, there was a little line (my RSX was black....) a little compond + wax and the the front of my car looked just like new. Rock ships were minimal/inexistent but damm I had worked for that!!!!

My G35 coupe have a clear bra and I am happy with it.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:58 PM
The 3M clear bra is is the most popular Clear-Bra product that people are talking about.

It's an extremely successful product and I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it... other than the expensive cost to have it put on. It is the same material that is on your car near the rear wheelwells.

Clear bras should be professionally installed and expect to pay around $600 for a good install on a G35. For that price, they will put it on your front bumper, as well as the front portion of your hood and the painted shell of your side-view mirrors. Some places do the headlights as well.

Trending Topics

Old 12-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Question about the clear bra..

Does it ever come off?.. I'm imagining you can't take it off and put it back on since it does need to be done by a pro.

What about waxing the car?.. I love waxing my car in the summer but it bothers me that I can't wax a certain part of it. That's why SUV's and Minivans is something I'll never own

Old 12-06-2005, 02:49 PM
the clearbra is a big transparent scotchtape glued to the panel you want to protect. Look like the one on the rear quarter, you have some glued there from factory. The clear bra is a bit more thin so it's less visible.

If I remember correctly, the clearbra should have the same treatment as your paint (someone can back me up please?), I wax mine. Care must be taken not to fill the edge were the bra end with wax because when it's dry it's ugly and hard to remove.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Yep.. you wax right over the clear bra. Just treat it like you would with your paint.

You don't want to peel it off. If you do peel it off, a new one will have to be applied in its place if you still desire clear-bra protection. It's barely noticeable on the car unless you know to look for it. Sometimes you can see it better if the car is really dirty, because there is a dirt line at the edge of where the bra ends and the unprotected paint area begins.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bra

I personally like black leather bras. Not for the whole front end but just the hood part. I had it for my previous cars. As instructions explain, you should always wax the part the bra will cover, and do not have it on for longer than 2 weeks. I used to always take it off after it rained or even before it rained. And there used to be months were I wouldn't put it on. I will by a hood bra if anyone wants to sell for a reasonable price.
As for clear bras, it sounds like a great idea and something I would do, but for $600, I really could have my hood repainted 3 times, so I don't know.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Yah... for 600, i don't think it's worth it on the stock hood.. maybe when i go for a CF hood.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:49 PM
FYI the black bra is a bitch to put on

Old 12-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 2Evolved
Yah... for 600, i don't think it's worth it on the stock hood.. maybe when i go for a CF hood.

OK, but has anybody tried to do it themselves?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Infin...spagenameZWD1V

Old 12-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the leather bras are a waste of time. It discolors pretty easily, so you have to maintain that, in addition to everything else. (Which I didn't mind).

However, it was so easy for crap to get underneath it, and scuff up the paint. And yes, I regularly removed it and cleaned it. It's not hard for crap to get underneath it.

But most importantly... It only protects the part of the car that the bra is covering. So even though my bumper and tip of my hood was chip free. The rest of the hood, windshield, fenders, etc, is full of chips.

Even with regularly removing it, the paint under it faded slower than the rest of the car, so when I remove it, it is noticeably darker than the rest of my black car. And that is even after lots of clay/polish/wax/etc. And that car was always kept in the garage too.

So when I got the G, I said screw it. If I'm going to get rock chips no matter what I do, I'd rather get rock chips and not be out the $$$ for the cost of the bra, clear or leather, and just use the saved $$$ for a paint job later.

Last edited by avs007; 12-06-2005 at 09:34 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bra for winter trip???