G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

05 & below G lighting unsafe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 & below G lighting unsafe?

I just got home from a dinner and boy have I been waiting a long time to say this, the lighting of the G is terrible, almost unsafe ot drive in, I'm only 20 and don't think i have a bad eyesight but the lighting is really bad. When driving on the streets, I even wonder if my headlights are on...

Does anyone else find this a problem? Just now when getting on an unfamiliar offramp I couldn't even see the sudden 90 degree curve approaching. Thanks to the great brakes we have on the G, I managed to get through safely. That really got me thinking...I'm looking into getting projectors now, and hope they make a huge difference. However, I'd just like to know if anyone is facing the same problems or are my headlights just aimed wrongly or something.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:38 AM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have that problem. You may want to have them checked.
Some people do have better night vision than others though, like my Ex. I did all the night driving.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:47 AM
I think the lighting system on my G is the best of any car I have ever owned. Maybe you should just get your checked out.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud
I just got home from a dinner and boy have I been waiting a long time to say this, the lighting of the G is terrible, almost unsafe ot drive in, I'm only 20 and don't think i have a bad eyesight but the lighting is really bad. When driving on the streets, I even wonder if my headlights are on...

Does anyone else find this a problem? Just now when getting on an unfamiliar offramp I couldn't even see the sudden 90 degree curve approaching. Thanks to the great brakes we have on the G, I managed to get through safely. That really got me thinking...I'm looking into getting projectors now, and hope they make a huge difference. However, I'd just like to know if anyone is facing the same problems or are my headlights just aimed wrongly or something.

You have to turn them on or have them set on auto to work.

Seriously they're not bad lights. There are better lights on some cars but these are much better than most.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Yes, these lights are so much better than the halogens on my A4. I've had 6 different cars in my life, all with halogens, and the xenons in the G are way ahead of any of them in performance... including the euro code(not dot legal) phillips bulbs I bought for my old cherokee.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Like, how fast were you going because I think the problem is the nut behind the wheel over driving the headlights...

Old 12-30-2005, 09:16 AM
The lights are very good on our cars. Perhaps you've been driving on more moonless nights and are trying to find other things to blame. You can try projectors if you have alot of money to burn, but the benefits are more aesthetic / psychological compared to xenon... slow down a bit on those dark ramps. Or maybe I’m just being harsh and your lights need to be repaired /shrug

Old 12-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Cloud,

I am in agreement with your statement, the g coupe has a very narrow beam pattern, i notice other cars, even cheaper ones have a much broader beam that illuminates the corners of the car much better. You will notice other cars from behind as your approach them that their beam lights up the outer edges of the road and the very front of the car better, even with the fogs on.

its the most noticeable when you are ina very dark area and are turning while looking out of the driver window, there is no light what-so-ever. also if you are driving beside a highway barrier, notice the wall beside you and where the light pattern begins and compare that to other cars in front of you

i'm not an expert in lighting, but it seems that the coupe's lights are very deep set so it keeps the light in a very straight and narrow pattern.

just my 2 cents.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Have you tried adjusting your headlights yet? I had a similar problem and realigned by headlights to 26in driver side and 26.5in passenger and it is a whole lot better. http://www.hypersprite.com/auto/tech-z-003/index.asp

Old 12-30-2005, 02:03 PM
They're HID, so they'll be better than any halogen setup. But they are pretty crappy compared to other HID setups. Especially when compared to projector headlamps. That's why I want to upgrade to 06 headlamps so bad. That's the way the G35 should have been setup in the first place.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:14 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cyphr
Have you tried adjusting your headlights yet? I had a similar problem and realigned by headlights to 26in driver side and 26.5in passenger and it is a whole lot better. http://www.hypersprite.com/auto/tech-z-003/index.asp
+1.
The lights in my Coupe were fine after I adjusted them. They were set too low.
C.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:17 PM
THE BATMOBILE
you think yours are bad.............i have full overlays!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM
I think mine are great too. Whenever I drive another car at night after driving mine, I can easily notice how significantly worse the lighting is.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My dad has a expidition which has some crazy lighting- and i noticed that the G is just as good or better.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:30 PM
My 03 sedan has great lights but what I've noticed is that it's easy to drive beyond the low beams reach. They're bright as hell as far as they go, but they just fall off at that point making it critical to use highbeams whenever possible. In reading other posts maybe I need to adjust them. Has anybody noticed that their headlight lenses are getting cloudy or fogging on the inside? Mine are starting to look like crap. Will the dealer help with this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 & below G lighting unsafe?