G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

whats louder Down pipe with resonator OR Headers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats louder Down pipe with resonator OR Headers?

I currently have the B&B exhaust which is pretty loud but i wish to add maybe a little more sound but not as much as a Y pipe would give me. I think thats overkill. But iwas thinkg for a little more horsepower and wonder what i should do. thanks
BTW what about Headers vs. non resonated down pipes? are the pipes much louder? thanks RX

Old 01-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Im not sure if theres full downpipes for G's or Z's. It goes from the headers, than into the cats, or you may replace your cats with straight/test pipes...I hope thats what your talking about...but yes, if you want loudness, i suggest you get a set of headers and some high-flow cats....

Old 01-01-2006, 11:26 PM
well on ebay they are selling "down pipes with resonators" but he also lists Y-Pipes so im assuming that they are the same but the down pipes have the resonator, y pipes dont. in any case i wish to know the sound between headers and resonated pipe leading to the exhaust mufflers. anyone? thanks RX

Old 01-01-2006, 11:30 PM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is no down pipe, that's only if you have a turbo. y pipe is right after the headers. sound increase would be more for headers.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:06 AM
I think he is talking about test pipes(ie. cat deletes).

Old 01-02-2006, 01:09 AM
so you think the headers would be louder than replacing the Y pipe? I assume you are comparing a resonated Y pipe right? I cant imagine a Y pipe being quiter if it doensnt have the cats. RX

Old 01-02-2006, 04:00 AM
theres no such thing as an unresonated or resonated y pipe. Its jus a y pipe lol.

This is how it goes...

Motor > Exhaust manifolds (Headers) > Cats > Y-Pipe > Mid-pipe > Muffler

If you want louder sound, get hi-flow cats. If you want even louder sound, get headers. End of story.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they do have those headers that go all the way to the y pipe and delete the cats...i forget who makes them

Old 01-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
theres no such thing as an unresonated or resonated y pipe. Its jus a y pipe lol.

This is how it goes...

Motor > Exhaust manifolds (Headers) > Cats > Y-Pipe > Mid-pipe > Muffler

If you want louder sound, get hi-flow cats. If you want even louder sound, get headers. End of story.
so chili.. would a full "catback exhaust" replace the y-pipe and mid-pipe as well on the G35's??

Old 01-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Yes it would. That's why theyre called Cat-backs lol. For example, on an STi, they dont have headers, they have full downpipes, so their full exhaust systems are called Turbo-back exhausts, because they replace everything from the turbo, back...

Old 01-02-2006, 07:23 PM
AHHHHHHHH! THERE ARE DOWN PIPES ON EBAY! I want to compare those which have a resonator and Headers. forget Y pipes as i know they in no way are quiter. unless the Y pipe has a resonator or as some might call it a high flow catalitic conv. RX trust me i know exactly what a Y pipe is. My satng has mac headers, H pipe and 1 chamber racing mufflers. Crazy loud.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:05 PM
ok this is what i got from the ebay seller:
hi,

the Y-pipe and resonator is totally two different items.
this resonator should be installed between the header and the Y-pipe.
with the resonator, the sound will become deeper and strong tone. the Y-pipe you may think its loud because its stright thur.
also, the header we selling will be louder than the stock one.
Having any question, simply email and let us know.
thank you
www.Ebstores.us

Has anyone installed headers after having installed thier aftermarket exhaust? wondering on how much louder it is. RX

Old 01-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by imRACERX
Has anyone installed headers after having installed thier aftermarket exhaust? wondering on how much louder it is. RX
+1
and what sorta gains did you get as far as whp and tq go? (even if its just from the butt dyno)

Old 01-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Yes it would. That's why theyre called Cat-backs lol. For example, on an STi, they dont have headers, they have full downpipes, so their full exhaust systems are called Turbo-back exhausts, because they replace everything from the turbo, back...

Thanks for clearing that out for me... see I've never heard of a Y-pipe or Mid-pipe what the hell is that lol... must be a dual exhaust thing... I have yet to look under my G yet but I'm anxious to see how it looks

I created my own turbo back exhaust on my Evo.. except I didn't get a test pipe, HFC instead so no CEL on my car. There's one thing in between the turbo and "turbo-back exhaust" people might forget about... the 02 housing, may be different on STi's..

Old 01-03-2006, 10:16 PM
so if your trying to amp the OEM sound the loudest possible.. without going as far as changing the headers... could I change something like...

stock cats --> high flow cats
stock y-pipe --> aftermarket
stock mid-pipe --> aftermarket

along with adding z-tube/drop in filter or CAI

Would this amplify the stock sound to the best it could by adding simple bolt on's? Or would changing any of those previously listed alter the sound to something else other than OEM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: whats louder Down pipe with resonator OR Headers?