G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Manual or Automatic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual or Automatic?

Hey i just wanted to know some different opinions about getting a G with manual or automatic. Like which is better. Also i just wanted to know if it would be easy to learn to drive stick on this car.. thanks

Old 08-11-2003, 02:27 AM
Re: Manual or Automatic?

Which is better is entirely subjective. I prefer manual. And I don't recommend learning on this car...it's not one of the easier manuals to learn on.

Old 08-12-2003, 02:16 PM

I have the manual and I prefer it, but if you have never driven a stick shift before you may prefer the automatic. You can always switch to the "manual" mode of hte automatic for a slight taste of what it would be to have the manual (though I've driven both and it's just not close to the experience you get in manual.) Also, if you find yourself sitting in traffic a lot, you may want to give more weight to the automatic.

Old 08-12-2003, 04:58 PM

I purchased a manual and this is my first manual car. I learned the basics on friend's cars but when i drove the coupe it was completely different. It took me awhile to get used to the clutch and the sensitive throttle. All my friends that have been driving stick for years tell me that this is not an easy car to learn on.

However, you have to analyze whats more important. To me, it wasnt even an option to get an automatic. I think you have to examine how often are you in traffic, how performance oriented are you(to have full control of the powerband with the stick), and how patient are you to learn how to drive stick?

I was very discouraged when I got my car because I spent close to $40,000 on a car and I couldnt even drive it. No matter what I did, I could not get the hang of it and it was pissing me off. However, now it is a different story.

Old 08-13-2003, 01:29 PM

I have been driving manual transmission autos for 35 years and got tired of it.
Before, automatic transmissions were not as efficient, but now they are, electronics have made it reliable and flexible for addaptation to a drivers needs.
My coupe is automatic and I am very pleased with it.
It even goes fast if you want it to , LOL.
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by tbusguru on 08/13/03 10:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-13-2003, 01:37 PM

I also was debating between the two...my conclusion was the automatic for a couple of reasons.
-my wife could drive it without any issues, and i want her to enjoy the car as much as i do.
-duel mode with the auto...you can get the feel of a stick in manuel mode cruising the curvy roads or just leave it in D for the trips to the market or going to/from work in heavy traffic.
Just my .02

KevinG35
2003 Diamond Graphite G35 Sport Coupe, 5AT, Premium Pkg, Performance Pkg.

Old 08-13-2003, 05:05 PM

yea i love using the Sportshifter on the automatic coupe, its lots of fun...and yea i wouldnt recommend learning manual with the G35. l i love the sportshifter!

Old 08-13-2003, 05:25 PM

I ordered my 6mt (without knowing stick) and decided to sell my old car on my own to get the most $$ for it while waiting for the g to get in. The money I saved selling the car myself easily paid for a 5-speed "beater"....a '94 ford probe gt with 115k miles for $1300. Now I have a car to drive till the g gets in that I will make all my mistakes learning stick with...it seemed like the best way to go for me...

ps-if you don't care about the car learning stick is soooooo fun!!

Old 08-13-2003, 07:37 PM

I've got the 6mt and that's really what I wanted, traffic or not. But it really is up to you, and traffic IS and should be a major concern.

I agree completely with Mani and LXG35C re the degree of difficulty of this particular manual trans/clutch. It is still hard for me to get it quite right and I've been driving stick for a very long time. But I'll get there eventually; I'm coming off of 5+ years of automatic cruising, so I've got to re-learn manual.

And LX is right also about the fact that this particular trans/clutch is unlike just about any other. But you WILL get the hang of it and you will enjoy it along the way. Believe me on that one. In the last 5 years I've driven a few other manuals along the way with little or no problems so I can attest to the relatively significant difference of the G's to others.

Frankly, I like "justme's" practice of buying a G, or ordering it, and buying a 5 speed beatermobile to learn how to clutch and shift on! Brilliant! You may even want to try it.

I've just come out of a G35 5AT Sedan for a day and I have to say, it's a very good automatic trans. Would I have opted for it? Not even close, even tho I think it's great. I wanted to buy a manual trans car. Period. Traffic didn't matter to me. So, I love my G35 6mt coupe! End of story. Hope this helps you. And do the right thing --- for you.

BONDg35c