G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Put rear seats down from inside of the car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put rear seats down from inside of the car?

I've had my coupe for 2 months and haven't figured out how to put the rear seats down from inside of the cabin. The owner's manual says one can do it. My salesman swears it can be done. I tried pressing the button on the top of the back side of the rear seats; I tried pulling it, too. But I still wasn't able to do it.

Can anyone tell me how to do it?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess the '06's are different with regard to the release of the rear seats. In my car, I need to access the release handle, located in the trunk, and push the rear seat assembly forward.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:18 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Andy, He also has an '05
You can't open from the inside. The button inside is just to tell you if it is locked or unlocked. To unlock, open the trunk and pull the seat-release lever. Go inside and you'll see that the button is popped up (showing red) meaning the seat is unlocked and can be pulled down.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by RamboRami
Andy, He also has an '05
You can't open from the inside. The button inside is just to tell you if it is locked or unlocked. To unlock, open the trunk and pull the seat-release lever. Go inside and you'll see that the button is popped up (showing red) meaning the seat is unlocked and can be pulled down.
Thanks for the responses!

And yeah I've been using the latch located in the trunk. So for the '06 coupe, can one put the rear seats down from the cabin? I just realized that I downloaded the owner's manual file from Infiniti's website and it's probably for the '06 model. Plus, my salesman swears he's seen it done in an '05 coupe, which just confused me even more.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by RamboRami
Andy, He also has an '05
Rambo,

Yeah, I just noticed that it's an '05. That being the case, the rear seats will have to be folded down/forward like the rest of us.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:28 PM
The button on top of the seat lets you know the seatback is locked/unlocked in position. As far as releasing it from inside the car, I think Andy is right, you have to release from the trunk. I recently stripped my '05 to the bare metal and there was no device attached to the seat release that ran to the cabin.

A possible solution is to get a "popper" (those devices you use to open doors with shaved handles), wire it to the release, and run the button to the front of the car. This way you can pop the seat down while driving or otherwise from the drivers seat. Youll need to put in some kind of spring to make the seat fall down however, but Im sure it can be done fairly easily.

You can get one of those "poppers" on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/45-LB-Power-Trunk-Lock-Actuator-Shaved-Door-Handle_W0QQitemZ5819191717QQcategoryZ94833QQcmdZViewItem
Hope that helps.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by zcuts11
The button on top of the seat lets you know the seatback is locked/unlocked in position. As far as releasing it from inside the car, I think Andy is right, you have to release from the trunk. I recently stripped my '05 to the bare metal and there was no device attached to the seat release that ran to the cabin.

A possible solution is to get a "popper" (those devices you use to open doors with shaved handles), wire it to the release, and run the button to the front of the car. This way you can pop the seat down while driving or otherwise from the drivers seat. Youll need to put in some kind of spring to make the seat fall down however, but Im sure it can be done fairly easily.

You can get one of those "poppers" on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/45-LB-Power-Trun...QQcmdZViewItem

Hope that helps.

Thanks! But I doubt I'll ever really need to pop the rear seats down while driving.

It was more curiosity than anything. I wanted to read the owner's manual because I wanted to learn everything about the coupe that I didn't know already.

Up until a few days ago, after owning the coupe for 2 months, I did not even know that there's a secret space in the rear compartment/arm-rest.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Reason to pop it while driving is to let bass through from trunk-mounted subs

Old 01-29-2006, 02:49 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GP20
Thanks! But I doubt I'll ever really need to pop the rear seats down while driving.

It was more curiosity than anything. I wanted to read the owner's manual because I wanted to learn everything about the coupe that I didn't know already.

Up until a few days ago, after owning the coupe for 2 months, I did not even know that there's a secret space in the rear compartment/arm-rest.
I thought the rear seat releases were in the trunk to prevent anyone (kids) from inadvertantly releasing the seats causing an unsafe condition.

I'd be interested to know if that's changed in the '06.

That secret compartment in the rear armrest you mentioned is where the famous First Aid kit is placed on some.

C.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:50 PM
you can open from the inside. in the crevice between the stupidass island we have and the fold down piece, if you feel around inside you'll get this red tab. if you pull that, it opens... really big help if you locked keys in trunk... for 05 at least.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Saw that red tab, didnt even think of using it from the inside. good call

Old 01-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Just found the "Red" nylon tab. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by zcuts11
Reason to pop it while driving is to let bass through from trunk-mounted subs
Haha yep, thats why mine are always dropped. And when people ask me for rides I just say look I dont have back seats. It always works, haha.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:06 AM
with the exception of the red tab (which is pretty hidden), the only way to release the rear seats is from the lever in the trunk. THIS IS A GOOD THING! Assuming you have the glove box locked with the trunk pop button switched to off, there's no way anyone who doesn't know of the red tab to open your trunk with the vallet key. This is a security thing. My old VW passat had something similar. The lever that dropped the rear seats was located on the back driver's side seat, but it was lockable with the key. Also, the trunk pop button was located inside the glovebox which was also lockable. This makes sense if you ever vallet the car. You can keep your valuables in your trunk and not have to worry much.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:42 AM
Alumni****
Originally Posted by visualfusion
you can open from the inside. in the crevice between the stupidass island we have and the fold down piece, if you feel around inside you'll get this red tab. if you pull that, it opens... really big help if you locked keys in trunk... for 05 at least.
very very useful.. i've locked my keys in the trunk before and had to get someone to get my spare keys from my place.. so sad it was the day after christmas too.. thanks for the tip!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Put rear seats down from inside of the car?