G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

look what happend to my high-flow Cat.~!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giddyup69
that's a weird weld job. i work for a stainless steel company... we do welding all day long. doesn't look like the weld was fully penetrated at all. plus i'm really confused as to why they have a piece of that pipe leading into the cat itself. should have been cut shorter so both pieces join up flush. almost looks like all they did was use filler metal to hold the pieces together. sad.
I was thinking the same beacause if you look at it it looks as though the pipe didn't break, it looked like the weld didn't hold and the pipe slipped out!

Where is the 99atlantic guy now when he was wondering why peeps rave about crawford products.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Apparently Kinetix doesn't stand behind their products. What a shame!

Old 02-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you have an aftermarket y-pipe? (i've read that they can sometimes be problematic w/ them because of a change of positional stress) And when did you buy the pair that cracked? (just curious if they're the old model (>~6months) that has been known to be problematic)

Originally Posted by Diesel1
I was thinking the same beacause if you look at it it looks as though the pipe didn't break, it looked like the weld didn't hold and the pipe slipped out!

Where is the 99atlantic guy now when he was wondering why peeps rave about crawford products.
I'm right here *waive*

Btw, that's not fair - first you'd have to find out if his were part of the initial problematic batch or not.

Originally Posted by Chico
This is the 3rd time I read about Kinetix cats breaking apart like that. I would've raised enough **** if I were you to get my money back and get Crawford or something that's better quality.
That's not fair to say that - i've read about 10 horror posts on random tech. cats, 2on crawford and this is the 2nd or 3rd negative one i've read about kinetix. So basically with that logic one shouldn't change out the cats at all or one iwll suffer doooooooooooooooooom

Last edited by 99atlantic; 02-09-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
...That's not fair to say that - i've read about 10 horror posts on random tech. cats, 2on crawford and this is the 2nd or 3rd negative one i've read about kinetix...
That's why nobody is suggesting RT cats when people ask. Likewise, while the Kinetix cats might not have had a ton of problems, seeing a few cases where they've cracked brings to people's minds the cracking issue of their early plenums. The only problem I recall with Crawford's have simply been the heat shield needing to be bent to avoid a rattle. Maybe I missed something?

Regardless, Kinetix is now strapped with trying to overcome a bad image from their initial offerings. While they may have corrected the issues, it will still take time for a good track-record to overcome their previously bad track-record.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
That's why nobody is suggesting RT cats when people ask. Likewise, while the Kinetix cats might not have had a ton of problems, seeing a few cases where they've cracked brings to people's minds the cracking issue of their early plenums. The only problem I recall with Crawford's have simply been the heat shield needing to be bent to avoid a rattle. Maybe I missed something?

Regardless, Kinetix is now strapped with trying to overcome a bad image from their initial offerings. While they may have corrected the issues, it will still take time for a good track-record to overcome their previously bad track-record.
Fair enough - in regards to Crawforrd, i've read 2posts about them blowing out, but again, to be fair, that is probably in the small minority

All I'm saying is that based on their timetime of improvements, it seems that the newer versions arn't reporting any problems (.......yet) ....... the past timeline does seem to hold, so I'm fairly certain the prsent one will as well (e.g., around when they say the fitment issues were addressed the reports of fitments problems tapered off).

edit: But something I found very interesting in my research is that in most cases where problems were reported, people had aftermarket y-pipes and had complained about them not fitting up (similar to how most aftermarket y-pipes won't mate correctly w/ stock mid-pipe). So whether the cracking is due to previously poor design, not making use of a bracket to hold it in place, or an aftermarket y flexing too much and putting too much pressure on it, I don't know.

Last edited by 99atlantic; 02-09-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
next time people b1tch about how crawford cats are expensive and why do people pay so much when there are cheaper solutions, i'm going to point them to this thread. OMFG that cat is split IN HALF!!! can you imagine what would happen if the end of your catback caught on the ground while you're on highway?!?!?!

Old 02-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by codeflux
next time people b1tch about how crawford cats are expensive and why do people pay so much when there are cheaper solutions, i'm going to point them to this thread. OMFG that cat is split IN HALF!!! can you imagine what would happen if the end of your catback caught on the ground while you're on highway?!?!?!
OMG!@@!@!@!@!

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...t=crawford+cat
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...t=crawford+cat

TEH CRAWFORD CRACK TOO!@@!@@!@!

DOOM IS HERE!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!@!

I don't have a problem if people buy crawford of kinetix or whatever they chose, but I get sick of reading mass-hysteria posts like that one..........any product can have problems, esp. cats given how much heat and pressure goes through there.

Last edited by 99atlantic; 02-09-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
cats get as hot as 500-600degrees (hence the heat shield) so i guess if the exhaust moves around alot the welding point becomes really weak

you guys have aftermarket cat-backs?

Old 02-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
im surprise no one asked how many miles you've been running them

^^ i'd like to know

Old 02-09-2006, 04:04 PM
THE BATMOBILE
Originally Posted by davidchoi425
this was a kinetix racing high flow cats.

figures......

Old 02-09-2006, 04:22 PM
99atlantic - Thanks for the links to the cracking Crawford threads. Haven't heard about that over here. Now I know to check them if I develop an exhaust leak at some point down the line. I have the newer version, which I hope this hasn't occured on.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:59 PM
awww, he never responded to my witty response

Originally Posted by truplay8
figures......
see my links; crawford has just as many problems w/ cracking and blowing out.......however I know that kinetix has since re-designed and used stronger welds, so the chance of something happening has been greatly reduced....crawford.....no idea if they've made changes to theirs or not.

Old 02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
all things have a life span, and it deteriorates faster or slower depending on the abuse it has to withstand..... looks like you replaced your kinetic with another kinetix......interesting?
btw, how many miles did you put on those cats?

Old 02-09-2006, 08:41 PM
aprox. 5000miles..

Old 02-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by davidchoi425
aprox. 5000miles..
any idea how long ago they were purchased?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: look what happend to my high-flow Cat.~!