G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

If you mod your car, insure it properly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just be ready to pay higher insurance.

When My teg got stolen, I asked about the aftermarket I put in. they said to mail the receipts, which I did.
They sent me a 10.87 Check. NO JOKE!

learned my lesson. If you have the money to shell out for mods, you better have the money to insure them.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I tried to get my G insured for close to what i put into it, but it was more then i could afford.....$6,059 for 6 months is a little too much.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdjafari
Its all up to the adjuster, the adjuster himself stated, 'if you had stock wheels on and had damaged those, allstate would pay for some replica 18s rather than pay the $800-900 per wheel cost from the dealer. In his own words 'you didnt have brand new 18s on there, therefore we will NOT pay for a brand new set of 18s from the dealer, we will get some replica's for $250 and slap them on'
That's what ticks me off the most about insurance. If they tried that with me, I'd only be ok if:

1.) The replacements were forged like mine
2.) The replacements weighed the same or less than mine
3.) The replacements were made by a reputable company on the same par as the original

Absolutely no exceptions. It would be like saying: "Oh you wrecked your Honda Accord? No problem. We'll get you into a nice Hyundai Sonata. It looks just like the Accord but costs less"

or dare I say it: "Oooh, you wrecked your G35? We'll get you a Scion tC because it looks relatively the same"

What next? Are they going to replace my wife's diamond ring with a CZ "replica"?

Last edited by avs007; 03-01-2006 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
LOL...same thing I was thinking. When my evo was totalled; allstate gave me up to 1000 dollars TOTAL on all of my aftermarket parts. (Of course provided you have receipts) OEM parts on the G probably cost a lot; therefore I don't see modification insurance being practical unless you have parts which are at least 2x the value of their oem equivalent.

Originally Posted by shredX
Example of under informed. Your wheels cost less than OEM, so no need to endorse them. Of course the company will pay for the cheaper parts.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:47 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Anyone have names and contact nfo for some of the exotic car insurence places? I have one local that i tried but dont know of any others.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the heads up. But as others are saying it might not even be worth it.

Old 03-01-2006, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by shredX
Example of under informed. Your wheels cost less than OEM, so no need to endorse them. Of course the company will pay for the cheaper parts. The insuring agreement usually reads they will pay "up to the cost..." or something like that.
This discussion regarding wheels is really interesting. So since most of our aftermarket wheels/tires are cheaper than OEM wheels/tires from the dealership, they'd rather replace those if they're damaged/stolen. But if your stock wheels are stolen, will they actually give you the list price for the OEM wheels/tires? Or will they give you some used or replica ones instead? If the latter, that doesn't seem fair...the car is only 3 years old at most...

Old 03-01-2006, 08:41 AM
this is true. i have a friend that had a 96 honda civic. was one of the first on the island to do a integra type r motor swap. had wheels and interior done. he spent well over 10k on just the motor. long story short, it got stolen. and USAA covered everything. as long as he had his receipts.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:08 PM
What is the reasonable insurance increase for aftermarket coverage? I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but I would guess I have about $8-10K in exterior mods. I would think that the premiums would really skyrocket....

Also, are they insuring just the value, or do the premiums increase because modded cars suggest increased risk? Any idea?

Old 05-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shredX great thread i have been thinking about this for some time. if i purchase my rims and tires for $4500, what would you suggest, take pictures and call my insurance company to see what value my cp&e is or should i just tell them i would like to insure them. what type of insurance jumps would you say is about avg when covering an additional $10k or so.

Also i need to speak to the finance guy i went through at the dealership. i purchased the tire/rim warranty where if something were to happen they would be replaced. i could have sworn i asked him about aftermarket rims and he said it goes by car so whatever rims you can prove are on there are covered even if you change your rims. anyone heard of this? I am only asking because i need to call someone tomorrow about if i want my maya 20x10.5's or not and my main concern is bending one

Old 06-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by SilverII
What will happen if someone stole your "custom" wheels? Does the insurance just pay the price of OEM wheels?
When I had my car jacked, Allstate just asked me to find the wheel from a local dealer and get a quote. The cut the check on the spot - no questions asked.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the INS101. I am looking for an insurance company to insure heavily modded G cpe in the central FL area Any suggestions? I have had difficulty getting someone to insure my Rims let alone my major mods.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:41 AM
the insurance company will probablly make the point, that even though the items are on your car, they are worth less, since they are used. once a rim is mounted with a tire, its used. so they can try and get you there.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Location: From CT, live in Southern VA...SoVA doesnt sound as good as NoVA
I've read a couple times that when they called to insure some performance parts, they got a notice saying that they were being dropped from the company because they assumed that ther driver was racing. I guess it depends on the person and the company though... but anyway, way to look out...

Old 06-07-2006, 06:24 AM
You should know that when an insurance company insures your ride, they do so by the VIN. Usually w/o any inspection. Most policies will afford you anywhere from $1000 - $1500 custom parts and equipment coverage. Any mods beyond that need a specific endorsement. Those endorsements are fairly inexpensive, but well worth it. If you have heavily mod'ed your ride, follow up w/ your agent or ins company's underwriting dept to make sure you're properly insured. (Even if you purchase a veh used w/ mods. If it aint OEM, it's considered custom.)

Thanks a lot for the heads-up. I have friends with Porsches that easily have an additional $20K of mods on their cars without giving a thought to Insurance. Great post.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If you mod your car, insure it properly