G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Synthetic Oil conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic Oil conversion

Within how many miles can you make the conversion from regular oil to synthetic oil. I have 1850 miles on my G, and I 'm thinking about changing over to Mobil 1. Is it too late to make the change? Is it worth making the change? What benefits can I expect to get?

Any information would be helpful.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:55 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Synthetic Oil conversion

Patience4G35, Some would say you've not gone far enough yet to switch to synthetic oil. I personally switched at 2k (first oil change). Others have waited a little longer, and yet others at 1200 miles.
Benefits range from better lubrication, protection, less friction thus less heat, and improved gas mileage (tho marginal).
Some feel that you can extend the change interval too.
The important thing is to change it often enough (with filter) for max life of engine. If you want to go the extra for the synthetic, it may benefit in the long term.
I personally use castrol syntec. Mobil 1 is popular too.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 08-26-2003, 01:14 PM

GSM, any reason in particular you chose Castrol over M1?

Old 08-26-2003, 01:29 PM
O.F. Administrator

Ya man, I got a deal on about 10 cases of it.
Given a choice now, I'd give Mobil 1 the nod, provided I could get a good price.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 08-26-2003, 02:23 PM

gsedanman,

my infiniti dealer didn't recomend using synthetic oil
I dont beleive him ,i think he just wants me to make oil changes at his place

any disadvanategs of uising syn.
thanx

Old 08-26-2003, 02:27 PM

Yeah, the price of it..........that's about it though

Old 08-26-2003, 03:36 PM

There is one disadvantage to using synthetic too soon according to several automotive engineers, and that is proper break in. With our S2K, Honda was adament about not changing the oil till 5k miles and not switching to synthetic until 15K when the engine is fully broken in. It was a huge controversy all over the S2K sites and people got really pissed over the whole thing. Finally, someone contacted some Honda engineers in Japan and they agreed with the recomendation.

The S2k has a pretty high strung engine, that takes a while to break in and burns oil for the first 10-15k miles. All engines need microscopic ridges in cylinder walls in order to hold the oil on the surface. When you breakin the car, these ridges are worn into place by the rings. Apparently, by switching to Mobile 1 too quickly, theses ridges would glaze over and develop a rounded profile, not a clean sharp edge as designed. This proper wearing in of the engine was supposedly helped by the mixing of the engine assembly lubricants with the original Honda dino-oil, hence the specific recommendation to not have your first oil change until at least 5k miles. The engineers were asked if this was a Honda only recommendation or if it would apply to all cars, and the Honda guys said it was good advice for any internal combustion engine.

Of course, a lot of people called bs on this, but there was a proven relationship with cars that burned excessive oil and having switched to synthetic too soon, at least with the S2K.

Take it for what its worth.

Old 08-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I switched to Mobil 1 at 7500mi with the stock filter. I've notice about 1 to 1 1/2 mpg gain in fuel ecomony.

Old 08-26-2003, 03:56 PM
O.F. Administrator

Klez, Yeh he wants your business, no doubt, and he's just repeating what's in the Coupe owners manual.
I think you'll find he'll help you with it if you take your own synthetic with you and work out a labour charge.
I aso think what atlexec says is valid: that waiting long enough to break the engine in is important. From what I've read about it, there's no doubt synthetic oil slows engine wear and friction which would curtail any break-in.
I felt after 2k miles, that there had been sufficient break-in so I switched then. It's up to you.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:11 PM

GSM, I'm kind of in two minds on the whole synthetic vs non-synthetic thing. The manual is written or at least signed off on by engineers, and it specifies a non-synthetic oil. On the other hand I am well aware of the benefits of synth oil in most cars. As a result I have been shifting back and forth between synth and non-synth on my next service. What do you think about why the manual specifies non-synthetic?

Old 08-26-2003, 05:18 PM

I have 5k miles on the car right now
I think I'm gonna wait till 10k miles and then put syn. oil in my car
thanx gsedanman

Old 08-26-2003, 05:24 PM

Anybody tried using Amsoil synthetic oil, I have heard great things about it. Currently I am using Mobil 1, but at the next oil change I'll be switching to Amsoil. Here is a link to their website http://www.amsoil.com if anybody wants to check it out.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with ATLEXEC that's why I waited till 10k on the odometer before I changed to Mobil 1 synthetic. I read in a few other places that running regular oil through the first several thousand miles breakin was a good bet. I also found a web page on infiniti's site that says they support Synthetic Oil in all their products. I also asked my dealer and the Service Dep told me that though it states in the manual about mineral based oils they have been using synthetic in alot of cars for years with no issue. That was enough for me. After the change over I have noticed a slight increase in mileage and a little more smoothness climb the RPM band. Over all I think it's a great decision and worth the price for a high revving sports-car engine like the VQ. Peace.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 08-26-2003, 05:32 PM
O.F. Administrator

Mani, That's a good question since the Sedan manual doesn't say not to use synthetic.
With the Coupe, it's prolly more to do with impeding break-in more that anything else, but that doesn't explain the diff between the 2 car's oil requirements.
As you've said, the benefit of synthetics is indisputable, but timing is important.
One thing I don't understand : If synthetics don't allow proper break-in why do cars like the Viper, and 'Vette come with it from the factory?[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2003, 06:00 PM

GSedanman has a great question . . .a lot of manufacturers (Benz and BMW, for example) are using synthetic oil from the start . . .why would they do that if it is not good for break in. . . .

So am I to understand that the consensus is that synthetic oil is good to use, but I should probably wait until I have at least 5K on the clock?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil conversion