G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Rear wing/spoiler on G35C, None vs. ~2005 Iron board vs. 2006 lip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear wing/spoiler on G35C, None vs. ~2005 Iron board vs. 2006 lip

Just a thought but....Any aero dynamics experts out there to let us know the effectiveness of the different spoilers (from no spoiler, ~2005 iron board, to 2006 lip) would have on the performance?
There are 3 different types of looks with the OEM coupe, no spoiler, spoiler up to 2005 (the iron board), and 2006 lip spoiler, and people have their likes and dislikes in terms of looks, but how about the performance of these spoilers. ie. coefficient of drag / down force effect between ~2005 spiler and the new 2006? Obviously no spoiler would probably not help on down force but...
For a straigt performance, would no spoiler be best as there is no down force affecting the forward momentum? if so by how much measurement?
For the tracks, would a bigger rear spoiler be best for the bigger down force for the stability in the corners? If so would the iron board better than the 2006 spoiler?
Or may be no significant difference in performance unless you are going 100miles/hr plus and perhaps just a change in looks for the Nissan's markeing for this car?
But I know the significance of air friction on a moving object, so I didn't want to take it for granted....what do you think?????

Last edited by スカイライン; 03-17-2006 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:18 AM
06 Lip looks cleaner IMHO....but the pre-06 may give a bit more downforce...either way...I like the look of both. I really dont think you will notice a huge difference unless you are 100+ mph. I could def feel the downforce on my STi at about 130+

Old 03-17-2006, 09:26 AM
I think most of the factory spoilers are for looks. If they are functional in any way, it's just to clean up the airflow, so it won't provide downforce, per se, but it'll modify it so that there won't be much lift and make the ride a bit more stable.

If you ever driven a car with bad aerodynamics, like a 87 mustang gt, you'll notice the floaty feel at higher speeds. That's not really because of a soft or bad suspension but because of the air it catches underneath causing it to lift. More modern cars don't exhibit that behavior, thank god.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As others have pointed out, I think their practical impact is slim. Of more importance and greater effect would be the underbody diffusers.

With that said, I do notice that I get less dirt on my back of my trunk with the DS rear spoiler on.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
Originally Posted by badtziscool
If you ever driven a car with bad aerodynamics, like a 87 mustang gt, you'll notice the floaty feel at higher speeds. That's not really because of a soft or bad suspension but because of the air it catches underneath causing it to lift. More modern cars don't exhibit that behavior, thank god.
Lift isnt so much from air getting underneath the vehicle. The Bernoulli Principle states that as a fluid (air) increases in speed, the pressure exerted on a body is lessened (vaccuum). Thus, the faster you travel in your vehicle, the air pressure atop decreases as speed increases, providing the lift and the sensation of the lightness of input as you control the vehicle at-speed. Your car begins to act as a wing.

Demonstration: Grab a piece of paper and hold two of the corners. Hold it up to your mouth and blow directly OVER the paper. It will begin to lift as the velocity of the air over the paper increases and pressure decreases

The addition of the underbody diffusers decreases turbulence beneath the vehicle, thus increasing the speed of the air beneath the vehicle. In essence this creates a vaccuum (lift, but inverted) whose force cancels out the decrease in pressure above the vehicle.

So now we have ZERO-LIFT AERODYNAMICS™!!!

And I bet you the difference in the two different coupe spoiler styles is merely cosmetic. They both still need to have the same/similar aerodynamic principles to factor into the zero-lift package that the aeropkg affords us.

Last edited by kidtronix; 03-17-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i doubt there's a significant difference

Old 03-17-2006, 04:36 PM
you don't have to open the trunk to wash the wing

Old 03-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
Originally Posted by driftGT350
you don't have to open the trunk to wash the wing
^+1

Old 03-17-2006, 05:11 PM
I think I only like the '06 from the back on black Gs only. Kinda makes it look wider or something. From any other angle I dont think it looks right.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:33 PM
THE BATMOBILE
ings or 06

Old 03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Actually the Bernoulli Principle is not the best way to describe how a wing generates lift (for our case we will consider the fact that the shape of a car resembles a wing). The Bernoulli Principle as it applies to lifting surfaces requires that two adjacent "particles" of air that pass over and under the surface must meet up again at the back of the surface. There is nothing in physics that makes this a requirement. A better way to look at lift is to view the surface as a pump. It creates lift by displacing the air through which it passes.

Now back to the original question. I don't believe that the OEM spoiler (new old or otherwise) have any effect on downforce. The main purpose of the spoiler in this case is to reduce drag. It effectively separates the flow of air over the car so that it does not flow downward over the back of the car. This downward flow causes turbulence behind the car and drag.

Originally Posted by kidtronix
Lift isnt so much from air getting underneath the vehicle. The Bernoulli Principle states that as a fluid (air) increases in speed, the pressure exerted on a body is lessened (vaccuum). Thus, the faster you travel in your vehicle, the air pressure atop decreases as speed increases, providing the lift and the sensation of the lightness of input as you control the vehicle at-speed. Your car begins to act as a wing.

Demonstration: Grab a piece of paper and hold two of the corners. Hold it up to your mouth and blow directly OVER the paper. It will begin to lift as the velocity of the air over the paper increases and pressure decreases

The addition of the underbody diffusers decreases turbulence beneath the vehicle, thus increasing the speed of the air beneath the vehicle. In essence this creates a vaccuum (lift, but inverted) whose force cancels out the decrease in pressure above the vehicle.

So now we have ZERO-LIFT AERODYNAMICS™!!!

And I bet you the difference in the two different coupe spoiler styles is merely cosmetic. They both still need to have the same/similar aerodynamic principles to factor into the zero-lift package that the aeropkg affords us.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Good infos thanks!
So in summary, our wings probably will not affect the drivability of the car so much to be noticeable by us city drivers, may be having one reduces the drag somewhat and improves the air flow behind the car, but not the down force, and mainly cosmetic.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
As others have pointed out, I think their practical impact is slim. Of more importance and greater effect would be the underbody diffusers.

With that said, I do notice that I get less dirt on my back of my trunk with the DS rear spoiler on.
damn no wonder my trunk door and rear bumper are ALWAYS dirtier than the rest of the car...WTF!!!!