G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Passenger Air Bag Off Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger Air Bag Off Light

curious if others have the same thing... i just got my G coupe 6mt. I noticed that there is a light at the end of the climate control displays that displays the Passenger Air Bag is on or off. is this suppose to be lit when there is no passenger in the seat??? my other car, this lights up when no one is sitting in the passenger seat or if the passenger is too light. mine does nothing, so do i need to take it in and have it checked out??? thanks.

Last edited by dudeimjohn; 04-05-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
yup sensors in the seat...

Old 04-05-2006, 11:17 PM
im having the same issue.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Banned
it will come on if there is like 10-50 lbs in the seat, it hink at 0 lbs it wont come on but its sensing theres a baby seat there with a child in it.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by dudeimjohn
curious if others have the same thing... i just got my G coupe 6mt. I noticed that there is a light at the end of the climate control displays that displays the Passenger Air Bag is on or off. is this suppose to be lit when there is no passenger in the seat??? my other car, this lights up when no one is sitting in the passenger seat or if the passenger is too light. mine does nothing, so do i need to take it in and have it checked out??? thanks.
Okay, so I think I must've researched this issue to the fullest extent, and I have the answer.

Let me just say that not the dealer, salespeople, or even the service department apparently knows this. So I read the '06 owner's manual and this is what it says:

The light is suppose to be lit, indicating the air bag is off, when there is a package or small load in the seat. However, when the seat is empty, the light is supposed to be off, in order words, IT DOES NOT LIGHT UP. But, although the light is not lit, when the seat is empty THE AIRBAG WILL NOT DEPLOY!

I know this seems confusing but that's how it works. So, yes, you're car is just fine and that's normal.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have to believe that the weight sensor located in the front passenger seat is activated at a minimum of some 40 to 50 lbs. Perhaps, even higher due to the potential of bodily injury to children when the air bag is activated.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by gmoney1227
Okay, so I think I must've researched this issue to the fullest extent, and I have the answer.

Let me just say that not the dealer, salespeople, or even the service department apparently knows this. So I read the '06 owner's manual and this is what it says:

The light is suppose to be lit, indicating the air bag is off, when there is a package or small load in the seat. However, when the seat is empty, the light is supposed to be off, in order words, IT DOES NOT LIGHT UP. But, although the light is not lit, when the seat is empty THE AIRBAG WILL NOT DEPLOY!

I know this seems confusing but that's how it works. So, yes, you're car is just fine and that's normal.
unfortunately you are incorrect. The "passenger airbag off" is supposed to be lit when nothing or a small weight is on the seat. when nothing is on the seat my light does not light up meaning that the passenger air bag is ACTIVE. which is a mess up. then when a friend sits on the seat the "passenger air bag off" light turns on.... that means the passenger airbag is INACTIVE. i believe this is a defect and im taking it to infiniti of santa monica tomorrow afternoon.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:31 AM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Funner567
unfortunately you are incorrect. The "passenger airbag off" is supposed to be lit when nothing or a small weight is on the seat. when nothing is on the seat my light does not light up meaning that the passenger air bag is ACTIVE. which is a mess up. then when a friend sits on the seat the "passenger air bag off" light turns on.... that means the passenger airbag is INACTIVE. i believe this is a defect and im taking it to infiniti of santa monica tomorrow afternoon.
sounds like just yours is a defect. mine does not light up when anything is there, and when someone small is sitting it will light up. if there is anyone < or equal to 60lbs on the seat, it will turn on. gmoney is correct

Old 04-06-2006, 02:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rAizE2k
sounds like just yours is a defect. mine does not light up when anything is there, and when someone small is sitting it will light up. if there is anyone < or equal to 60lbs on the seat, it will turn on. gmoney is correct
it lights up when no one is there....

Old 04-06-2006, 02:36 AM
lol obviously it lights up when no one is there thats why it says PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF. why would it deploy when no one is there? does that make sense... nope! and when someone sits in my car the light comes on saying the air bag is off for some odd reason which is scary!

Old 04-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
All explained in your manual. If yours behaves contrary to the manual go see service.

But of course you already knew that.