G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Cats + Y-Pipe = Bottlenecking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cats + Y-Pipe = Bottlenecking?

I just got crawford cats, and thinking about buying a megan y-pipe. i heard that with cats, and aftermarket Y this is bad and u'll lose lowend torque. i have everything else stock. oh i have intake, and MD 1/2" spacer. please don't tell me just to save up for full cat back, cuz a y pipe isn't really that much, plus i like the exotic exhaust sound. thank you!

Old 04-13-2006, 06:14 AM
also i know that some ppl get "Dr. Gas Reducer cone's" since the y-pipe outlet is 3" and stock is 2.5". i know its a good idea, but i would like to be able to turn everything back to stock, and wondering how many ppl have done this, would this make the y-pipe not worth it?

Old 04-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In terms of exhaust, I currently have and am ready to install: headers/cats/Y-pipe/Dr. Gas reducer cone for OEM rear-section.

The only thing really delaying the install is that I'm having second thoughts on doing all of these parts. Trying to decide if I want to just go with the headers/y-pipe (keeping cats legal) or perhaps headers/cats. I've been looking at threads and I've been trying to accumulate some specific feedback, but it's been pretty slim so far.

On the intake side I've got a hi-flow drop-in filter, intake tube and MREV Plus to try to even things out a bit.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:04 AM
i have the intake, plenum, headers, cats, y-pipe, reducer, cat back exhuast... i'll say you loose the low end (noticeable), but gain a lot on the upper end.

on another note: i'm looking to go back to stock for a while, before supercharging it... i think i'm going to wait until it's out of warranty (18 more months). still batting that around.

it gives the dealer a reason to say 'your car has too many extensive mods, blah, blah blah.' it is soooo not worth the gain in torque, to justify the headaches. i would have saved over $1000 in parts and labor.

my .02

Old 04-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by jasperg35
i have the intake, plenum, headers, cats, y-pipe, reducer, cat back exhuast... i'll say you loose the low end (noticeable), but gain a lot on the upper end.
Another reason I'm considering just the headers/Y-pipe/OEM rear-section.

I really welcome comments, as I'm tired of delaying installation.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:49 PM
don't do the y-pipe unless you're doing a full exhaust; it will hurt far more than it will help

plus i'm convinced aftermarket y's are why so many cats crack - improper flex stress.

i have headers+hfc+stock y + stock y-back exhaust and I have NO loss download; infact, I noticed an increase in power down low, and a HUGE increase mid/up top (so basically a noticeable increase across the entire powerband). plus you can hear me coming from 10blocks away ^_^

Old 04-13-2006, 02:33 PM
99 - You're one of the ones that got me rethinking this combo. But with your TQ-heavy engine, this combo might yield different results for us (287 vs. RevUp). Parts that cost you TQ, for the sake of Hi-Rev HP, might be more apparent on your engine. While I'm going to use the MREV+ to close that TQ gap between engines, the better top-end of the header/cats/Y-pipe/OEM rear-section might provide a helluva hit for the RevUp.

I don't know, for certain, which is why I'm waiting and would really like to hear from as many people as possible, with an emphasis on those with experience with the combo on a RevUp.

The sound level of the full combo isn't something I really want, but it's a matter of already having bought the parts and having them ready to install. It's hard not to install all of it... ...but I'd rather not be too loud and I don't want to encounter a loss everywhere but above 5500RPM .

Anyone with a RevUp installed just the headers and Y-pipe (on exhaust side, at least)?

Old 04-13-2006, 06:46 PM
99- yea you're the one that also made me question what i wanna do. i really really don't wanna crack my Cats. and if goin after market y-pipe will do that, then its definitly not worth it. I'm being really cheap right now, and havn't gotten headers yet, idk if i will or not. A consern i have is having a 3" outlet Y into a 2.5" Stock Y-Back, without any reducer. So whats better? poorly designed Stock Y (T) that has a smooth transition from Y to Y-back, or, After market Y with 3" going to 2.5"?? (i wanna be able to change back to stock, so no welding)

Old 04-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was running gutted cats which are like highflows for a while with the stock exhaust and with a y-pipe. it still pulls hard. however, it will restrict alot cuz your going from a large pipe, back down to a smaller pipe which will disturb the smooth flow of air. id say get the headers!!! i love mine tho thats why im biased

Old 04-13-2006, 09:30 PM
^ so ur saying its not even worth it to get a Y-pipe w stock exhaust? u won't bother again?

Old 04-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't bother with a y-pipe if you don't know what catback your going to run. You may go dual - maybe not - why waste the money! If your y-pipe does not have the flexers in them - then you'll bind too much and either crack the cats or the manifolds - or possibly both.

The factory Y does stink...but don't spend the money 2x - make the choice once and buy the right exhaust system, the first time.

Rick

Old 04-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ i def agree with ISM...makes great sense

Old 04-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fast Intentions

Here ya go...something else to make a decision on...

www.fastintentions.com or call 818.882.2788 - ask for Tony

The thread is below...

Rick

https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-exhaust/91857-you-asked-tease-first-looks.html

Old 04-15-2006, 02:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't worry about loosing low end-- top in is a lot more fun, and you gain a lot more top end than you'll "loose" low end

with all my breathing mods I still gained something like 25-40 hp in the lowend, but when i get to the higherband it feels slower...

I didn't loose any-- just my higherend is drastically more than lower.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:13 AM
^ so did u use a reducer going from ur y-pipe to stock?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cats + Y-Pipe = Bottlenecking?