G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Rear bumper on Black G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2006 | 01:12 AM
|
Rear bumper on Black G35

Hey guys, quick question for you. Today I backed into a parking spot and apparently stop right EXACTLY against the wall. It was so exact, that I feel absolutely nothing. It wasn't until I saw the back of the car that I noticed that I had pressed into the wall, which had a stone wall that had rough edges sticking out.

I've attached some pictures. What do you guys think, think it can be removed by buffing it out? Or perhaps, touch-up paint? Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 05-14-2006 | 01:24 AM
Sorry to hear that. Been in the same situation with my rear bumper, only worse, mine was unrepairable. From the pics those look deep, personally I wouldn't try to do anything myself (buff or touch-up). I don't think touch-up can fill in something that deep. I would take it to a professional to see where you stand. Good luck, hope it gets fixed, it's not a good feeling to see your G hurt.

Old 05-14-2006 | 01:41 AM
|
Originally Posted by crypten
Sorry to hear that. Been in the same situation with my rear bumper, only worse, mine was unrepairable. From the pics those look deep, personally I wouldn't try to do anything myself (buff or touch-up). I don't think touch-up can fill in something that deep. I would take it to a professional to see where you stand. Good luck, hope it gets fixed, it's not a good feeling to see your G hurt.
Yeah, no kidding Crypten, it hurts. What happened to yours that you couldn't fix it? And what did you do?

Old 05-14-2006 | 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by gmoney1227
Yeah, no kidding Crypten, it hurts. What happened to yours that you couldn't fix it? And what did you do?
The pain sucks, you don't even feel like driving your beautiful looking car because of one simple mistake.

I basically did the same thing as you, I backed into the EDGE of a brick wall. The left rear end was completely pushed in, and scraped up bad. I actually tried to repair it myself. I went out and purchased that Dent removal crap at Pep boys, and it did nothing. I tried to buff out the scrapes, nothing. I knew I had to get a replacement, but didn't want stock, so I looked on the forum that night and found that ducatiguy had his black stock rear bumper laying around, so I drove to LI to get it. I was fortunate that I had it fixed the next day.

Old 05-14-2006 | 01:54 AM
|
Do you think this is something a body shop can fix? And if not, can I simply buy a replacement bumper? Thanks again Crypten.

Old 05-14-2006 | 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by gmoney1227
Do you think this is something a body shop can fix? And if not, can I simply buy a replacement bumper? Thanks again Crypten.
I would explore options, go to a body shop and see what they can do. They may not have to repaint the whole bumper, at least go for an opinion I say.

Old 05-14-2006 | 02:02 AM
|
What about replacing it as an option if they can't fix it? And if I'm going to buy a replacement, I might as well not go stock since I was thinking of starting to do some mods. Any body kits website or place that you know of that can give me ideas? Oh yeah one more thing, if the body shop can do something, what is a reasonable ball park figure I can expect to pay?

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2006 | 09:18 AM
i crushed one side of the rear bumper by backing into my daughter's car, which was parked unexpectedly behind me! the whole thing was replaced, and physically the look turned out fine.

the big difference i found was that the paint job is really not quite the same. this probably makes a bigger difference in the lighter colors, and in my case (diamond graphite) there is a slight difference noticeable in sunlight.

so, you can clean the thing up by replacement, but beware the paint job!

Old 05-14-2006 | 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by ramboambo
i crushed one side of the rear bumper by backing into my daughter's car, which was parked unexpectedly behind me! the whole thing was replaced, and physically the look turned out fine.

the big difference i found was that the paint job is really not quite the same. this probably makes a bigger difference in the lighter colors, and in my case (diamond graphite) there is a slight difference noticeable in sunlight.

so, you can clean the thing up by replacement, but beware the paint job!
That is why it was not an option to get a fixed, either it's new from factory, or I won't even bother. The paint job will almost never match 100%, as the car gets older the paint fades and can never match a new paint job.

gmoney1227, if I were you I would find someone that is selling the OEM rear bumper, and buy it from them. I think a new OEM rear bumper painted is around $600? I could be wrong, but I think I am around the correct price. Try to find a left over one someone isn't using. If a body shop was to repair + respray that rear bumper, I would say you are talking roughly $200-$400? Better off buying one from someone in that case for around that price, and getting the perfect OEM match.

Old 05-14-2006 | 11:22 AM
|
That sounds right Crypten, now how do I find someone that is selling one? Are there forums here that can help?

Old 05-14-2006 | 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your bumper

See my post of today. I used a detail shop to do some touch up work and saved around 250 off of what the body shops wanted and I am very happy with the results. I should have took some before and after pics.

Old 05-14-2006 | 03:05 PM
try using Meguiars SCRATCH X. it did wonders for me with some scratches.

Old 05-14-2006 | 04:25 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
I think the rule is that if your fingernail gets caught on a scratch it cant be buffed out. From the pics. i would think the bumper needs to b refinished, but im not posative.
-Tom

Old 05-14-2006 | 04:27 PM
|
Yeah, I think I'll try a touch up job. But if that doesn't work, how's this for a replacement? Any opinions guys?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=1&catalogid=2

Just item #1, which is the bumper cover.

Sounds like a good deal?

Old 05-14-2006 | 04:39 PM
If you take it too a good shop you can match the
paint almost 100%. The biggest problem when spraying
is matching the factory conditions temp/humidity. It's always
the clear coat that gives the problem.

That being said. Even if you buy a stock/ black bumper from
someone. That will not guarantee you 100% of a paint/match.

It's like lot #'s from products. Same color but made at different
times.

Good Luck!

PS Needs to be repaired,touch up will only upset you more!