G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

LCD Problem?! Help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry LCD Problem?! Help!!

I think something's wrong!!

Sometimes when I start up the G, the LCD doesn't turn on. Problem is that I can't really use anything with out it. It seems to be a bit of a random thing, if I turn the car off and then go through ACC then back to ON the LCD will usually start up in the ACC mode. Then this morning I tried the ON -> OFF ->ACC but it didn't work, I let the car run while I brushed some snow off of the car and then tried again and the LCD finally turned on.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Should I make an appointment with the service department at my dealership? Being such a random thing, my concern is that they won't be able to replicate the problem and do nothing about it.

Thanks in Advance,
Christian

Old 01-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChristianN
I think something's wrong!!

Sometimes when I start up the G, the LCD doesn't turn on. Problem is that I can't really use anything with out it. It seems to be a bit of a random thing, if I turn the car off and then go through ACC then back to ON the LCD will usually start up in the ACC mode. Then this morning I tried the ON -> OFF ->ACC but it didn't work, I let the car run while I brushed some snow off of the car and then tried again and the LCD finally turned on.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Should I make an appointment with the service department at my dealership? Being such a random thing, my concern is that they won't be able to replicate the problem and do nothing about it.

Thanks in Advance,
Christian
What was the temperature outside? I think at a cold temp the HDD won't work.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by kring
What was the temperature outside? I think at a cold temp the HDD won't work.
It's only about -5 this morning so I kinda doubt that is the problem. When it was -30 in November I had issues with the HDD, but the LCD still turned on. I will definitely keep that in mind though and pay attention to the temperature when it happens again.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
If that persists Christian, I would definitely have your service dept take a look at it.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Waxer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCD - LCD's are difficult due to their liquid nature. Once
frozen, an LCD's operational characteristics change forever, either
ruining the LCD or causing a significantly reduced lifetime. Most LCD
systems require a heater (small peltier effect) unit before operation
can be assured. *NEVER FREEZE AN LCD*. If your temperature goes below
freezing, you *must* have some sort of heater to keep the LCD above it's
rated temperature.

Various operating environments

Size and efficient use of power aren't the only factors the designer of portable-device displays must face. Wireless and portable devices are subjected to a wide range of operating temperatures and varying operating environment conditions. Even if it's small and power smart, an LCD won't meet performance standards without considering its operating environment.

For example, temperatures affect the viscosity of the liquid-crystal (LC) fluid suspension. At lower temperatures, the LC thickens and requires more voltage to activate the crystals. Conversely, at higher temperatures, less voltage is needed to create the display.

On-board temperature control circuitry has been one solution offered by LCD manufacturers. A driver IC with integrated temperature compensation circuitry reduces the total number of components in the device.

LCDs with operating temperatures of –30° to +80°C (or greater) accommodate designers in automotive, aerospace, avionics, and other industries where LCDs must perform in demanding environments. Some manufacturers supply LCDs with an integrated heater to control the LC temperature, ensuring optimum display performance.

Until a few years ago, many cell phones made in the United States used light-emitting diodes (LEDs), which typically washed out under intense ambient light and bright sunlight. The answer has been the development of LCDs with properties that optimize readability under varying ambient light conditions.

Such transflective LCDs exhibit both transmissive and reflective properties, combining backlighting and highly efficient inner-mirror technology. The resultis an LCD that uses both illumination methods (backlighting and reflectivity) to match the display to ambient light.

In reflective mode, transflective LCDs achieve 40% reflectivity in monochrome. Reflection and brightness can also be controlled through the use of special films.

Transflective (and reflective) STN-LCDs with inner-mirror technology exhibit a natural change of image against ambient light conditions, resulting in excellent interior matching between the electronic display and mechanical (or printed) displays.

Display contrast, particularly at high temperatures, is enhanced through multiline addressing (MLA), which simultaneously applies activation pulses to several rows in a display frame to ensure fast, flicker-free response across the LCD's operating temperature range.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:00 PM
AHHH!! I'm going to need to move then...I don't have a garage. Did Infiniti incorporate some kind of heater?? Is that why it doesn't turn on immediately?

Old 01-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Waxer
You would think Infiniti would have some kind of heater knowing these cars are being sold all over the world.

I would say if your LCD works as the interior of the car warms up then it's just a matter of the liquid is just too thick because of the cold. You might think about turning the display off at night and then wait until the car is warmed up before turning the display on.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 PM
How do you turn off the display? I would look at the manual, but my adobe acrobat is effed up righ now, and I don't feel like going down to my car. TIA.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I find it hard to believe Infiniti would not have specified an LCD for the proper operating environment. Maybe someone else can chime in on freezing temp operation?

Until the service manual is reeased (which hopefully has more detailed specs in it) I would be more inclined to have it checked out .. at least that way the issue will be logged.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
LCD can be turned off using button on RHS that controls LCD brightness.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by terrycs
I find it hard to believe Infiniti would not have specified an LCD for the proper operating environment. Maybe someone else can chime in on freezing temp operation?

Until the service manual is released (which hopefully has more detailed specs in it) I would be more inclined to have it checked out .. at least that way the issue will be logged.
Please do update if anyone thinks of something, where I live, it's prone to cold snaps and blizzard conditions overnight.

ie. last week it was -2 -3 all week, then a blizzard hit, -28 and a pile of snow.

It seems a little ridiculous to me that Infiniti would install LCD screens that would potentially cause a massive recall in colder climate zones.

"You can't replace my broken LCD screen because I got caught parking the car outside when a blizzard happened because I wanted to have an evening meal at the local bistro and because I never connected a heater to keep it warm?"

"Yes sir, that is correct"

That scenario sounds alittle bizzarre to me. I'd tend to think there is an electrical problem with your car Christian, I'd book an appointment with the dealer asap.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by treacherous
Page 206 in owners manual says:

"If the temperature inside the vehicle is especially low, the display will stay relatively dim or the movement of the images may be slow. These conditions are normal. The display will function normally when the interior of the vehicle has warmed up."
Moving slowly I expect and understand, but my LCD is not turning on at all. It doesn't even show the infiniti logo boot screen.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Waxer
Originally Posted by ChristianN
Moving slowly I expect and understand, but my LCD is not turning on at all. It doesn't even show the infiniti logo boot screen.
Maybe it's reallllllllly slow.