G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

tail/wings......downforce?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air going over the spoiler creates downforce. Why is this hard to believe? This was all spelled out in early 03 marketing materials and even in the brocure where it clearly states that only aero packaged cars have zero lift. To get to zero lift from having had lift - you must have some downforce. Very little is required here. If you want a lot of downforce, yes, you need a giant gross wing that only an evo buyer could appreciate.

Last edited by SixFive; 06-09-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SixFive
Air going over the spoiler creates downforce. Why is this hard to believe? This was all spelled out in early 03 marketing materials and even in the brocure where it clearly states that only aero packaged cars have zero lift. To get to zero lift from having had lift - you must have some downforce. Very little is required here. If you want a lot of downforce, yes, you need a giant gross wing that only an evo buyer could appreciate.
hey it's better than those huge aluminum wings

Old 06-10-2006, 01:51 AM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SixFive
do you really believe marketing? if you knew your car, the aero package doesnt include the spoiler. aero package consists simply of the underbody diffusers. the spoiler is an option. like every other engineer on this site, i can tell you the diffusers create the zero lift by diverting air. the spoiler helps with that but has very little effect at that point on the car. cars like the gt3 are developed with the spoiler as part of the overall design. they use it then for downforce on high end sports cars and race cars. your g35 isnt a race car and was designed with no need for downforce.

Old 06-10-2006, 03:08 AM
allright, i think i found out what i wanted to know.....the spoiler does not create loads of downforce, instead helps to create zero lift.......i got that downforce idea by watching grandam and swc cars with spoilers on their race prepped cars.......however, i appreciate all the responses...

Old 06-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Good info. So, would it be beneficial to just have the underbody diffusers w/out the spoiler?

Old 06-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by w0ady
do you really believe marketing? if you knew your car, the aero package doesnt include the spoiler. aero package consists simply of the underbody diffusers. the spoiler is an option. like every other engineer on this site, i can tell you the diffusers create the zero lift by diverting air. the spoiler helps with that but has very little effect at that point on the car. cars like the gt3 are developed with the spoiler as part of the overall design. they use it then for downforce on high end sports cars and race cars. your g35 isnt a race car and was designed with no need for downforce.
Not true, at least on the '06 according to Infiniti's website.
G35 Options

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 06-10-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Thumbs down

Since you know your car so well , why don't you let me stick to mine. In 03 the spoiler was part of the aero package. Yes I believe the marketing. If they didn't market HP and Torque, curb weight and wheelbase length, I wouldn't know WTF I was buying . Someone asked a question, and I provided the answer as referenced in the 03 brochure.

Don't wander aimlessly when the answer is easily apparent. Add the aero package and the cd drops .01 and the car goes from having no lift from having had it, sans spoiler. After a million posts on this site, these fact have never been questioned or proven innacurate.

If the spoiler created a no lift scenario that otherwise existed without the spoiler, the lift is being managed via downforce Maybe a masters in order??

Last edited by SixFive; 06-10-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:00 AM
"Part of the overall design" LOL So WOody, would you have us believe that the bolt on spoilers do nothing if they aren't part of the original design of the car? You can bolt on downforce, original engineering design be damned!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.