G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Installed my Thule rack last weekend.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calejohnson
I have the same Thule rack and it fits 2.25" tires just fine. I haven't had the guts to put in on my G35 yet but I use it for both road and mountain bikes on my wife's Outback.
I do downhill riding and my tires are 2.7", so in case a certain tire doesn't fit in the rack, you can always deflate them.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice rack (and clean car)!

Makes me miss my Yakima rack a bit....but not enough to put it on since I don't do much biking anymore.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where you at in League City? What subdivision? I'm in South Shore Village. Nice ride. I have an 06' sedan, sivler w/ tint. The rack looks good.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by H-townG35
Where you at in League City? What subdivision? I'm in South Shore Village. Nice ride. I have an 06' sedan, sivler w/ tint. The rack looks good.
Brittany Bay. I'm not sure where Sout hShore Village is.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:26 AM
is there a chance to remove white "THULE" lettering...

IMO it doesn`t look good... this is a way too clean G for these letters

Old 06-30-2006, 01:33 PM
518 and south shore blvd.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Sorry, I don't want to rain on your parade (or that very nice car)-but they didn't give you a front tire with your bike! Seriously, does the front tire get mounted on the roof too or does it go inside the car? If you wanted too, could you leave the front tire on? I've always wondered about that. I use a Nashbar trailer hitch mounted rack on the back of our Subaru and have not yet needed to put one on the G.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Andy77
Sorry, I don't want to rain on your parade (or that very nice car)-but they didn't give you a front tire with your bike! Seriously, does the front tire get mounted on the roof too or does it go inside the car? If you wanted too, could you leave the front tire on? I've always wondered about that. I use a Nashbar trailer hitch mounted rack on the back of our Subaru and have not yet needed to put one on the G.
lol.... no wonder it's so hard to pedal!

I just put the front tire in the trunk. They do make an extra part that goes on the rack to hold the bike by the frame and allows you to keep the front wheel on. I just prefer this method.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks!!

Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by SilverII
nice Rack!
Never thought you could say "nice rack" on here & get away with it.... LOL...!!! Well, there's a 1st for everything.....

Old 07-01-2006, 08:34 PM
I've put my road bike (a Giant OCR-1 in the small frame size) in the back seat of my G with a blanket covering the seat. If I recall, I had the front wheel in the trunk. I didn't have to make any adjustments to the bike to get it in (except for taking off the front wheel).

Old 07-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Sweet car, nice rack.

I've had Yakima racks and it seems to work the same way as the Thule. One very important lesson I learned the hard way was to put some of the 3M clear stuff (clear bra) in between the painted surface and the bottom of the tower. No matter what the rack folks say, if there is any contact between the rack and your paint, dirt will get in, there will be vibration, and it will, essentially, sand off the paint little by little.

You only have to put on the clear bra once where you normally mount the rack. Peel it off and your paint is brand new.

The other big issue with the Yakima was finding just the right balance of tight and not too tight. Too little and it vibrates, too much and it can deform the body work.

Good luck, very sweet car. I have DG and would have gotten OB if they had one for me at the time.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy77
I have a Yakima rack and bought a MTB rack that allows you to keep both wheels on. Check the Yakima site for some options...

http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=13

Old 07-14-2006, 09:00 AM
NickS,
I see that you locked the bike rails on to the rack, but you do not have locks on the feet of the rack. Why not? You should get 4 more matching lock cylinders (1 for each foot) to make sure the whole rack does not walk away. You said yourself that it can come off in 15 minutes - a criminal could yank it in 3 minutes and he won't care if it scratches your paint. I have 10 matching lock cylinders for my car and my wife's truck (1 key will open every lock).

Old 07-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Brian91
NickS,
I see that you locked the bike rails on to the rack, but you do not have locks on the feet of the rack. Why not? You should get 4 more matching lock cylinders (1 for each foot) to make sure the whole rack does not walk away. You said yourself that it can come off in 15 minutes - a criminal could yank it in 3 minutes and he won't care if it scratches your paint. I have 10 matching lock cylinders for my car and my wife's truck (1 key will open every lock).
It is locked down. The feet and the upper support are all tied together and locked using ONE lock per post. There is no way for anyone to steal it unless they open the door and pry it off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed my Thule rack last weekend.