G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

g35 vs maxima

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im here for the same reason man, still trying to decide between a 06 g and a maybe a 05 max..The maxima to be is nice as hell, but some problems it has are just odd, had my cousins 6 bose unit go out, and he doenst have warranty no more, its a known problem in the 04-05..Also, that damn wheel shimmy is wack...

Old 09-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Purified
Im here for the same reason man, still trying to decide between a 06 g and a maybe a 05 max..The maxima to be is nice as hell, but some problems it has are just odd, had my cousins 6 bose unit go out, and he doenst have warranty no more, its a known problem in the 04-05..Also, that damn wheel shimmy is wack...
They also have significant strut issues. I'd steer clear of the 6th gen Maxima.

If I were looking at FWD sporty sedans, I'd instantly be at the Toyota dealership looking at a Camry SE V6. They're faster, 6 speed auto, 268hp (14.4s@99mph stock), better handling/braking, better looking, sport a great interior, and they have Toyota reliability.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
They also have significant strut issues. I'd steer clear of the 6th gen Maxima.

If I were looking at FWD sporty sedans, I'd instantly be at the Toyota dealership looking at a Camry SE V6. They're faster, 6 speed auto, 268hp (14.4s@99mph stock), better handling/braking, better looking, sport a great interior, and they have Toyota reliability.

damn those camrys are as fast, or faster than some of our G's lol

Old 09-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I went from a 1991 Maxima to a 2003 G (yeah I keep them cars a long time). That Maxima was incredible, and for those who remember it I hope you will agree it was a beautifully styled car also. The G is the appropriate successor and logical improvement to that car in our household; the 2003 (or subsequent) Maximas just do not compare IMO.
Style, performance, looks, prestige, dealers: Advantage G35 (fwiw I like the first gen G styling better - so far).
Size, price, uh, what else: Advantage current Maxima.
Maintenance is probably a draw between the two.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Listen man my cousin has a 03 Maxima and let me tell i love the styling of the 03's alot...But i every time i drive it and i drive my G it just doesnt compare... Rwd is something maximas cannot touch...Theres such a diference in handling. Maximas have great power but the torque steer is horrible.. The G is so well planted in the turns, its just performs so beautifully..Also the G sedan isnt too bad on space..When i compared it to the others in its class, the G had the most interior space Imo. Yes the maxima will more space beacause its a bigger car, but there isnt a enormous difference. Just test drive them both and you will see the difference. Either way there both great cars.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I test drove an 04 Maxima when I was looking at cars.

In my opinion, by the time I added the options I wanted, it was getting close to the price of the G35, and seeing my first G35 was what got me thinking about a new car to begin with.

If it hadn't been for the G35, I would probably have $35000 more in savings, as well as 140K miles on a Taurus

Go with your gut feeling on this. I'm happier with the G35 than I think I would have been with the Maxima. The margin was less at the time, but now...

Old 09-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirty740
my dads a car dealer so i will be getting my car from the manheim auction and usually it will be paid for upfront so no payments...
Normally, people your age are either having to make payments, or are having a parent pay for the car. If making payments, or you have savings to pay for the car, you are still paying considerably more than what the 740 is costing you.

So it isn't monetary. But people DO get tired of their cars, and once you decide you don't like your car, it generally doesn't get better

If it was all money, we would all be driving Honda Fits and equivalents. No fun, but cheap to buy and drive. And keeping them for 10 years.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Dirty740
The fact that you are thinking about this shows your maturity. I would think most 17 yr olds would just be like "The G is sexy and fast, done deal"

I'm married with 3 kids and drive about 24K miles a year. I was looking at a Jetta and then I test drove the G....left with it the same day. (I'm too impulsive sometimes ). Even with other things to worry about, I just knew it was the car for me.

If the prices are comparable, I would say go for the G seeing as how you will have less hassle with the car (04 had a good amount of bugs fixed vs an 03).

If the Max is considerably less overall, then get the Max. If its only a bit less, I think the G in the long run will be a better purchase. Especially if you are not going to be making car payments.

Good luck and I hope my sons grow up to be as thought out as you

Old 09-28-2006, 10:35 PM
well price isnt really much difference on the 2 the 04 g35 average is about 17 and the 04 maxima SL is about 16 these are the average prices they have been selling for at the auction the g35 avg mileage says 41k and maxima says 45k

Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Lessee, a casual glance through this thread reveals at least 90% vote to the G... kinda surprising, given this IS the G forum, no?

Just poking a little friendly fun here. Did you ask the same question on a Maxima forum? Curious what they would say; it's conceivable some of them aspire to a G, but no one here seems to aspire to a Maxima. Does that tell you something?

At your age, the 'life's too short' argument loses some steam (ah, but you don't have a guarantee now, do you?). IF you are about evens with the price or don't care about any difference and don't need the extra room, I'd say your decision is made.

Last edited by KCK7; 09-28-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:10 PM
But you can never go wrong with a Maxima.!! After all,with out them we wouldnt be here.!!

Old 09-28-2006, 11:22 PM
i like the new maxima, wouldnt change it for my G though

Old 09-28-2006, 11:34 PM
i havent posted at the maxima board because its not anything like this board its so dead over there only a few people reply after a long time unlike here before im done with writing a reply theres like 5 new comments..lol

Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dirty740
i havent posted at the maxima board because its not anything like this board its so dead over there only a few people reply after a long time unlike here before im done with writing a reply theres like 5 new comments..lol

thats right mang, the G nation is strong

Old 09-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by driguez
thats right mang, the G nation is strong
Jeff will agree with me on this one, Maxima.org has a member base that makes g35driver.com look like a joke. There are LOTS of people on Maxima.org and the automotive knowledge on that site compared to this one is like comparing a college course to a 5th grade course. There is a wealth of knowledge on that site that rivals some of the better domestic sites I frequent. The problem with this site and even my350Z.com is that, to the majority, the G/Z is the first fast car they've ever owned or modded. They believe everything they read. On Maxima.org, it's the exact opposite. Hard data must exist before a mod is truely accepted. The good thing is a lot of those guys (like Jeff and VQdriver) have moved on to G35s and 350Zs. Give it about 3 years and you'll have a lot of real world and outside of the box thinkers on this site.

Just poking a little friendly fun here. Did you ask the same question on a Maxima forum? Curious what they would say; it's conceivable some of them aspire to a G, but no one here seems to aspire to a Maxima. Does that tell you something?
The Maxima vs G35 question gets asked over at Maxima.org on a daily basis. I can guarentee you that 8 of 10 times, Maxima owners will tell you you're nuts if you don't go for the G. Most Maxima owners consider the G35 as the obvious choice when looking at affordable sports sedans. The 6th gen Maxima is viewed by a majority as the red headed step child and really hasn't been accepted as meeting the definition of "Maxima".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: g35 vs maxima