G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

'05 Nav into '06 Sedan...running but having problem. Need help from '05< navi people

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 Nav into '06 Sedan...running but having problem. Need help from '05< navi people

As the first mod for my '06 sedan, I bought the '05 Navi from Accordfreak and proceeded to gut my 4 month old car and do what few others have attempted. It's in and mostly functional after about 6 hours and large amounts of skin/blood loss. The '06 wiring harness is significantly different from the '05 so I had to do a lot of pin removal/dismantling of the '05 harness to minimize the impact to my '06 harness. I'm happy to say that I could technically remove the navi w/o any negative effects my my car. I gotted ripped a new one at the dealer(100% markup) to pick up a 6.5 nav disc but was too invested to care.

The problem:
No matter what I do, the state on the destination-> address screen says California. It tracks perfectly the streets I'm on when driving but I'm unable to get it to choose a street in GA. It lets me choose provinces in Canada but not in the US. If I try to change the state, it says No Entry found. I entered diagnostic mode and everything looks normal but I can't exactly take this into the dealer and expect them to fix it under warranty.

Remaining small issues:
-Nav control panel surround was wood grain. Painted it black for now but would love to find an aluminum version.
-No backlight. I must have tapped the wrong illum wire. Should be a small fix.

Will post pictures later.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will to get the aluminum Version you will have to by a DD conversion most likly and on the Navi its self did you install the program CD then the 6.5 Maps? Whne I installed 6.5 on mine I had to drive around for about 30 mins til it picked up where I was! Mine also said I was in Cali!! PM me if you have more Qs

Old 01-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Wow, I don't have any help for you but I am very impressed you have gotten this far with the project.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:32 PM
No upgrade CD included. Just the DVD. Here are the pictures:

The install

What happens when I try to change the state

The included disc

Anyone have a CD they're willing to let me borrow? I'll pay shipping/handling.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Gotta give it to you for trying, but IMO installing the stock navi isn't worth it. You should of gone DD with an aftermarket Navi atleast you get a touchscreen and the ability to play DVD's out of it. Also your choice to not go with the 06 navi is another not so good choice, the 06 navi is different, it quicker, better resolution screen and different graphics.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by (>")> G35
Gotta give it to you for trying, but IMO installing the stock navi isn't worth it. You should of gone DD with an aftermarket Navi atleast you get a touchscreen and the ability to play DVD's out of it. Also your choice to not go with the 06 navi is another not so good choice, the 06 navi is different, it quicker, better resolution screen and different graphics.
Reasoning was fairly simple. DD invites theft since you can't exactly tuck it away. Spending a min $1200 for nav, $350 for DD, and upgraded security system all the while worrying about where I park it just isn't worth it. Having my Prelude broken into and having $700 in damage to the car for a 9 yr old cd player the day I was planning on getting the G makes me wary of making my new car a target. OEM market is significantly smaller than the very nice but easily fenced AVIC-Z1. It also won't negatively affect resale since most people can't tell its not OEM.

As for using the '05 system...there aren't exactly a lot of '06 systems out there and even fewer that have been totalled and parted. It would have been great to get a complete '06 but I didn't want to hold my breath I could find one in good shape and within my price range. Installing an '06 navi would pretty much be the same game. I can always convert it to an '06 later on given how familiar I am w/ the wiring harness.

Last edited by mishap; 01-07-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by mishap
Reasoning was fairly simple. DD invites theft since you can't exactly tuck it away. Spending a min $1200 for nav, $350 for DD, and upgraded security system all the while worrying about where I park it just isn't worth it. Having my Prelude broken into and having $700 in damage to the car for a 9 yr old cd player the day I was planning on getting the G makes me wary of making my new car a target. OEM market is significantly smaller than the very nice but easily fenced AVIC-Z1. It also won't negatively affect resale since most people can't tell its not OEM.

As for using the '05 system...there aren't exactly a lot of '06 systems out there and even fewer that have been totalled and parted. It would have been great to get a complete '06 but I didn't want to hold my breath I could find one in good shape and within my price range. Installing an '06 navi would pretty much be the same game. I can always convert it to an '06 later on given how familiar I am w/ the wiring harness.
Good reasoning!!!

I'm curious on how you did this. I have a 06 sedan and I've been courting the idea of putting in an OEM Navi unit. However, most people say it isn't worth it because you supposedly have to completely change out the whole wiring harness.

However, you haven't mentioned anything other than changing out some pins to make the 05 navi match up. So in theory, could you buy a 06 Navi and "plug and play" into a non-navi 06? (granted it's not that easy) but I guess what I'm asking is that all the necessary plugs are available? Or are you some type of electrical genius and you started soldering stuff together? :P

Also, did you per chance take pictures as you were installing the unit? That would be helpful. Kind of like a visual DIY for those who might be interested. I like that you posted the final product, but I'd also like to see how you got there.

Props for taking on the challenge!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Try getting your hands on a Program CD, that might do the trick.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ku-Ling
Good reasoning!!!

I'm curious on how you did this. I have a 06 sedan and I've been courting the idea of putting in an OEM Navi unit. However, most people say it isn't worth it because you supposedly have to completely change out the whole wiring harness.

However, you haven't mentioned anything other than changing out some pins to make the 05 navi match up. So in theory, could you buy a 06 Navi and "plug and play" into a non-navi 06? (granted it's not that easy) but I guess what I'm asking is that all the necessary plugs are available? Or are you some type of electrical genius and you started soldering stuff together? :P

Also, did you per chance take pictures as you were installing the unit? That would be helpful. Kind of like a visual DIY for those who might be interested. I like that you posted the final product, but I'd also like to see how you got there.

Props for taking on the challenge!
I bought the setup from Accordfreak and it included a complete and uncut '05 harness. The '05 and '06 Navi Screen and controller are pretty much the same. The changes are on the areas where it interfaces to the system and the plugs on the back of the nav dvd unit.

Basic changes:
-4 wires run into the Bose harness. You can pop the clip and insert them wires into the harness pretty easily.
-3 wires bus to gauge cluster. I had to remove these from the '05 and slide the wire into the '06 connector.
-1 speed sensor wire to gauge cluster
-Illumination +, - tapped into clock harness
-Bat, IGN, ACC - tapped into radio harness
-Backup wire. Didn't tap this one yet but it's not negatively affecting anything.

Without the harness you could likely still make it work but you would have to buy a bunch of very small female connectors and shrink wrap them individually to the connector on the back of the nav control unit. Doable but takes a good bit longer since there are about 10-15 wires between the dvd and screen. It's definitely feasible given the navi screen, control panel, dvd, gps antenna and pigtails and may be easier than gutting a car for its wiring harness.

For an '06 into an '06, it'd still be a lot of work to remove the entire wiring harness from the fuse box back. I think isolating the navi portion and removing it makes more sense given the bose and even the non-bose can accept the navi input.

The complete harness

The harness after separating it from the '05.

Last edited by mishap; 01-08-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:18 AM
do you have a wiring diagram for the 05 harness? may be willing to trade for a copy of the navi cd you need....

Old 01-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Banned
I have a program cd for the 6.5

Old 01-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Nice work. I have been trying to locate a 2004 set-up to install. Would I need to replace the entire wire harness for all the maintenance information to be displayed?

Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by mishap
As the first mod for my '06 sedan, I bought the '05 Navi from

Will post pictures later.
Props for trying. I had oem navi in my 03 sedan and hated every min of it. If you go to a dealer they will actually let you use the program cd. Its not like they will find out that you installed this navi :-D

on a side note - are you jeff's brother? SN sounds familiar.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help with this but you get major points for trying. I hope it works out for you!

Old 02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
I guess he didn't provide an update!. I provided him with the update CD and everything works perfect now.