G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Lower cushion seat mod for more support

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Lower cushion seat mod for more support

I'm relatively tall (6' 2") and have long legs. I always felt the lower cushion was just a bit too short to fully support the front of my thighs. I also felt the middle raised forward portion of the seat wasn't pronounced as much as it was in the coupe and also the left outer thigh support wasn't as firm as the right outer thigh support where the seat controls are. I figured there had to be a way to this problem.

Years ago I installed a leather seat kit in my Maxima which required me to pull off the old velour covers and affix new leather covers. This installation allowed to gain a better understanding of how automotive seats are built and it made me less afraid to start taking a part my G's seats.

My goal was to increase the firmness and support of the left and center cushion and to give the forward portion of the seat a little more length for thigh support. I'm happy to say it all worked out brilliantly I gained the support I wanted plus I added out 3/4" of additional support (much firmer too) on the front of the seat.

Note how the seat curves in the front now (it's more pronounced than the pic shows)

Higher and firmer center cushion

Lower cushion seat mod

Materials- 5/8" Carpet padding, cut to needed lengths

Carpet padding pic

Tools- Phillips head screw driver, flat head screw driver, panel/clip removal tool (a screw driver will also work), small pliers, something to cut the padding, flash light

1) Remove the plastic trim piece around the base of the seat. This is attached with two screws in the front, one black plastic clip on the lower rear, and two clips on the side. Remove the screws and black clip and gently pull the trim piece off to unseat it from the two side clips.

2) Remove the two black plastic clips holding the leather cover to the seat frame. See pic

3) After removing the clips, the cover will be loose. Just forward of the clips, there is a plastic slider clip that holds the cover down at the frame. Gently pry the piece off the frame.

4) Now the left side of the cover is loose. Pulling up the cover, you'll see the yellow foam padding. Cut the carpet padding to the desired lengths and insert it under the yellow foam (it simply lifts up). See pic.

5) For the front of the seat, the cover is attached with one long plastic slider clip. Gently pry off and the front cover will be loose. Install padding.

One word of warning, don't get two crazy with the padding because you don't want to overstretch the leather.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good writeup!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
looks lile your seat has a permanent boner.........LOL

Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Socal_G_sedan
looks lile your seat has a permanent boner.........LOL
It feels nice

Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Good DIY. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Very nice work. that's more like what the coupe seats have in the center.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the writeup; this is definitely sth I will do when the weather warms up a bit. I always feel that I need more lateral support from the seats.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:46 PM
After giving it some thoughts; I changed my mind, I guess this will be my weekend mod for the coming SAT!

something good to look forward to!

Old 01-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by godmans
After giving it some thoughts; I changed my mind, I guess this will be my weekend mod for the coming SAT!

something good to look forward to!
Let me know how it goes. I'd like to get someone elses opinion. The trick is to insert the padding and then sit in the seat to make sure it feels right before putting everything back together. You'll be surprised at how much even one piece of padding will change things.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by ttrank
Very nice work. that's more like what the coupe seats have in the center.

Yeah, your coupe seats rock and look freaking sweet. I'm jealous.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Premier Member

Yea but see the 05+ G35's they fixed that issue and the seats are much better. I don't have a pic online that shows the whole seat right now, but here is one you can barely see the seat.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by DaveB
Yeah, your coupe seats rock and look freaking sweet. I'm jealous.

Thanks! I wasn't trying to brag. Just wanted to show that they were similar to the mod.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
Thanks! I wasn't trying to brag. Just wanted to show that they were similar to the mod.
Oh I know. I'd brag if I had those seat though

Old 01-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Grocery getter

Oh I know. I'd brag if I had those seat though

LOL

Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Let me know how it goes. I'd like to get someone elses opinion. The trick is to insert the padding and then sit in the seat to make sure it feels right before putting everything back together. You'll be surprised at how much even one piece of padding will change things.
I actually wanted to try this long ago...but was afraid that I have to remove the seat to gain access to the padding under the cover.

FRom what I see now, I would definitely try this over the weekend and report back =)

Moreover, I do agree that in 05+, they fix the problem in the sedan seats by adding more cushioning and support in the thigh area

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lower cushion seat mod for more support