G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

5AT Transmission Shudder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
5AT Transmission Shudder

Has anyone experienced this?

When cold (in Florida that's 40's to 60's) my tranny sometimes gives me a slight shudder or vibration under brisk (not necessarily WOT) acceleration on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. This normally goes away within a few minutes, I'm asuming after the transmission fluid has warmed a bit. I just crossed 25K miles and I'm fairly certain that Infiniti recommends the tranny fluid to be changed only after 60K.

I remember a while back that only Nissan's transmission fluid was available for our trannys; is there now an aftermarket brand that's top notch and recommended, Mobil1, Royal Purple, etc.?

If anyone has observed similar tranny vibrations, or has changed to a high quality transmission fluid, please holler back.

Thanks.

<font color=red>chinee (in Florida)</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 12-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 5AT Transmission Shudder

Yes Chinee, I most definitely get that 5 A/T tranny shudder. Mine is most noticeable on the 2nd to 3rd shift at 50% accelleration or higher. I have read up on some webpages about something called torque shudder and it sounds like what I an feeling. I really dislike it, as it takes away from the feeling of smooth power and quality that I expect in a $30,000 + car. I am at 23,000 mi. currently.

I have no idea if there is an approved aftermarket fluid at this time. I am most interested in resolving this problem. Frankly, all the little annoyances with this car are beginning to add up and spoil my enjoyment of the G somewhat. This has been balanced to a degree by the way Infiniti has addressed a number of the issues successfully. The transmission shudder and the DAMNED driver's seat controls are starting to wear on my patience some though!

Old 12-27-2003, 10:54 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Mine is most noticeable on the 2nd to 3rd shift at 50% accelleration or higher

<hr></blockquote>

That's an accurate description. I'm surprised we're the only ones to mention it. I hope it's a common phenomenon and nothing to worry about; my last ride, a 2002 TL had a bad tranny, the very reason I traded to a G. Can't go through these worries again.

03.5 G35s

Old 12-27-2003, 11:42 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

An easy way to evaluate your tranny condition is to check the fluid's level and colour. I understand form Dave0 that U.S. G's don't have tranny dipsticks, so visit the dealer to get it checked. He has a special dipstick type tool to do this.
I wouldn't recommend changing out the fluid to a non Infiniti type yet. If there is an issue with the tranny, let them look at it and fix it first. If they find non Infiniti fluid in your transmission, they may deny warranty. Be careful.. If they were to deny warranty on the tranny, it would be a heck of a worry, and an expensive one.
G/L

<font color=red>G</font color=red>S<font color=green>M</font color=green>
<font color=red>G</font color=red>S<font color=green>M</font color=green> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 12-29-2003, 10:46 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 5AT fluid is changed at the 30,000 mile service. I had mine
changed already.

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled aluminum pedals

Old 12-29-2003, 12:59 PM

cato,

Actually under Schedule 1 (severe service), a tranny fluid chage is only recommened if you tow a trailer, use a car top carrier or drive on rough or muddy roads. In fact, under regular service, I do not see Infiniti recommending a change in tranny fluid at all.... strange!

03.5 G35s

Old 12-31-2003, 08:40 AM

Another Florida owner that has the shudder too. Although I don't experience it all the time, it sometimes kicks in between 2nd and 3rd, and last for only an instant. Irritating but not the end of the world. Also, didn't have it in the summer/warmer weather.

Old 12-31-2003, 11:39 AM

Chumbley... how many miles on your G? I'm at 25K and geespot's on 23K. Just checking to see if there's any correlation with mileage.

03.5 G35s

Old 12-31-2003, 12:04 PM

Chinee, your are correct that under Schedule 1, the ATF or Manual Tranny fluid isn't changed out at 30,000 miles. But IMO and according to Infiniti, the Premium Schedule is the best one to go with in terms of mainteanance and the longevity of your car. I would never follow Schedule 1. Some of the things that are skipped are just plain scary, mainly the lack of changing the tranny fluid and the coolant fluid. After 30K miles or 2 years I would definitely want those items flushed and changed out. Plus one could do both of those things in their own home for cheap if they wanted to. Bascially if you want to keep your G nice and happy follow the Premium Shcedule.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium

Old 12-31-2003, 12:13 PM

OK....Has anybody changed their own A/T fluid? How on earth do ya do it when there is no obvious place to add more fluid like most older cars had? I have read that it requires a special tool....just how SPECIAL is it : ) How much does it cost in other words, and where do I get one?

I may pester my dealer to give me a free change under warranty as I have had this issue and been telling them about it for over 8 mo. now. They always say everything checks out ok and do nothing.

Old 12-31-2003, 02:13 PM

I have this problem as well....it shudders when I slightly accelerate in third and fourth. kinda feels like its in the wrong gear and is struggling for a bit and sometimes even jerks into gear. I took mine to the dealer and got a call back from them yesterday...the service advisor said the fluid was very dark and that they needed to speak with the engineers. They werent able to get a hold of anyone because of the holiday so my service advisor already ordered a new transmission. He says they have got to go through the procedures of communicating with the engineers before replacing it. Im hoping they do. Take it in to the dealer, maybe they'll just replace it too.