G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Xmas upgrades & impressions (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xmas upgrades & impressions (long)

For Xmas, my wife gave me a bunch of parts for my G. I had some time off, so I figured I'd put everything on. I posted in Tech & Mods with pics, but figured I'd give my fellow sedan owners some of my impressions.

1) Installed aluminum sport pedals: The posts are right, getting the brake pedal on is tough. Using a hairdryer to soften the rubber helps. With some bruised fingers, it will eventually fit. My 5AT kit didn't include a parking brake and it should have. I'll be ordering that today. Still, the pedals look great! Everytime I get in the car they flash at me and it makes the whole experience more sporty. I recommend this to everyone!

2) Installed 2003.5+ internal trunk release and passenger-side power outlet. The kit was complete, the instructions were photo-copies and barely readable. Luckily, the website from which the instructions were taken was visible and I just brought my laptop down to the garage. It was pretty cool to take part of the dash apart. Installation is NOT tough. The blank power outlet on the passenger side for us 2003.0 owners looks stupid, IMO, and having an internal trunk release is very convenient. Plus, now that I've taken part of the dash apart, the mystery is removed - I'd be more comfortable doing other dash-related
work like radios or stealth radar deterctor installs.

3) Installed splash guards. I was very surprised that the installation required I use a 6mm drill biy to drill into my wheel well, but the directions were straightforward and, using the guard as a template, it wasn't too bad. Otherwise, installation was a breeze. I think that having the guards on there adds a more aggressive stance to the car. It gives the illusion of sitting lower and wider. I think all Gs should come with these. It also, for some reason I can't explain, seems to accent the chrome tailpipes more - after I installed it, I noticed them more myself. Then, 2 of my co-workers asked me if I installed new chrome tailpipes. Strange phenomena.

4) Installed OEM Sport springs and struts. This was a big big job. Luckily g35driver.com How To forum gave me everything I needed to do the job right. It was very hard, to be sure, but I got everything done in 2 days - and I've NEVER done anything like this before. I didn't like the titanium trim, which came bundled with the sport suspension, so I didn't get the sports package when I bought. Over time, I regretted that decision and I got a good deal on the OEM Sport components from nuttyprof when he upgraded to 350Z suspension. I put 16,000 miles on the non-Sport stuff and now have a couple hundred on the Sport. There is definitely a clear difference. It's a subtle difference, but there nevertheless. There's less body roll when cornering and less weight transfer during braking and take-off. The car seems to track better and generally feel more sporty. Going over speed bumps, or other major road obstacles, there's less of a tendancy for the back end to bounce - the car seems to absorb well and recover immediately. It doesn't necessarily feel less like a luxery car, but definitely feels sportier. This was a hard job and definitely not for everyone - if you're paranoid about letting anyone touch your G, AND you're interested in working on your car, AND you're committed to doing the job right (torque wrenches, floor jacks, the whole 9), then it can be a fun project.

So, there's my tale of the Great Christmas Upgrade Party of 2003. I'm psyched - my G is getting fat and phat with all the tricks I'm piling on!

-townsley-
2003.0 Silver/Willow Premium AT Sedan/
K&N Filter/Z Tube/Battery Master Switch/ InSaNeAmine Grounding Kit/Solar Guard Tint/ Sport Shocks & Struts/Aluminum Pedals/Splash Guards

Old 01-14-2004, 01:59 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Xmas upgrades & impressions (long)

I got the pedals last month, along with the parking brake.
They are great!
I put the splash guards on last year when I bought the sedan.
There was no drilling required. I also do not have the sport
suspension. It was not my decision, as I bought the G35
off lease. The roads here in Houston must be the worst
in the USA, but I wonder of the Sport Suspension would
aggravate it. Would love to have better drivability without
feeling every bump and pothole.
Congrats! Where did you get the 2003.5 upgrade? I've thought
about doing it, but have heard Infiniti considers it a warrenty
breaking upgrade.

2003 Twilight Blue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards,
12 wire Hyper-grounding kit,
350Z intake duct, Stillen Hi-Flow Airbox
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled aluminum pedals

Old 01-14-2004, 02:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A trunk release voids the warranty?????? How? Somebody fed you a line there

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8128

2003.5 Sedan Black/Black w/ sport, premium, aero, and winter packages. See my profile for updated mods list and pics.

Old 01-14-2004, 03:31 PM

OK, I definitely want the passenger side power outlet. Where did you order the kit? I'm tired of every passenger in the car saying "what's this hole for?"

Old 01-14-2004, 04:09 PM

OK - it's not exactly cheap, but it will take care of all the stupid questions and, most importantly, that hole...
http://www.infinitihelp.com/store/Upgrade/TKit1.htm

-townsley-
K&N Filter/Z Tube/Battery Master Switch/ InSaNeAmine Grounding Kit/Solar Guard Tint/ Sport Shocks & Struts/Aluminum Pedals/Splash Guards

Old 01-14-2004, 04:13 PM

We're got some pretty bad roads here in Portland as well. I actually think that the Sport suspension has improved the right. Granted, I might feel a pothole more than I used to, but the car recovers faster - not as much of a bounce/drag feel.

-townsley-