G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New tires for G35x sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New tires for G35x sedan

Hi, I have a 2004 G35x sedan with 30k miles on it. The service dept tells me I need to replace all 4 tires and they are about 1100 if I get them from the dealer.

I was thinking of getting them at Costco. When I looked up costco website, they have tires for G35 sedan and G35 sedan with sport-tuned suspension. What in this world is the second thing? I don't think I know if I have that feature on my car

considering it's an all wheel drive car, what tires should I get? I save about 200 if I buy them at Costco. Is it worth it or should I just bite and get them replaced by the dealer?

I remember taking my car for service to a shop that I used use with my old car and they said replacing the air filter in an infiniti takes about 3 hours and so it will be expensive to get it serviced from them. I don't know if there are similar issues with getting tires replaced at Costco and hence the question.

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Sport uses larger tires at the rear vs. the front. For the X you need 4 tires that are the same size to make sure the AWD system works correctly. Depending on your driving habits and how much you are willing to pay, there are many choices of all season rubber. Better handling usually equals less wearability. Many here endorse Michelin, Pirelli and Kumho although there are other good brands as well.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned
dont get them from the dealer.....

Old 07-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ballerina
I remember taking my car for service to a shop that I used use with my old car and they said replacing the air filter in an infiniti takes about 3 hours and so it will be expensive to get it serviced from them. I don't know if there are similar issues with getting tires replaced at Costco and hence the question.

Thanks.
3 hours to change just an air filter?? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard from a service shop! Seriously, it only takes 10-15 min to change the filter, and you can do that yourself and save plenty of money and time simultaneously.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by esfoad
G35 Sport uses larger tires at the rear vs. the front. For the X you need 4 tires that are the same size to make sure the AWD system works correctly. Depending on your driving habits and how much you are willing to pay, there are many choices of all season rubber. Better handling usually equals less wearability. Many here endorse Michelin, Pirelli and Kumho although there are other good brands as well.
???

My sport had the same size oem tires front and rear. The coupe has larger in the rear but not the sedan.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ballerina
Hi, I have a 2004 G35x sedan with 30k miles on it. The service dept tells me I need to replace all 4 tires and they are about 1100 if I get them from the dealer.

I was thinking of getting them at Costco. When I looked up costco website, they have tires for G35 sedan and G35 sedan with sport-tuned suspension. What in this world is the second thing? I don't think I know if I have that feature on my car

considering it's an all wheel drive car, what tires should I get? I save about 200 if I buy them at Costco. Is it worth it or should I just bite and get them replaced by the dealer?

Thanks.

If you want some good all season tires, try out the Yokohama YK520's. My GF just got them on her car and we have been very happy. They also have a 60k warranty; unlike the ~10-12k I get out of a set of tires.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Definately don't get them from the dealer. They mark everything up...ridiculously. I would tell you to check out Discount Tire/America's Tire, but I don't think they have those stores in Virginia. You'd have to order them on Discount Tire Direct and have them shipped to you, then mounted at a tire store there in VA. Still might be cheaper to do that and then have them mounted at Costco or elsewhere. I've always bought my tires at Discount Tire. I've heard that Costco is good too, as far as pricing goes. I'm sure their service is good to, because I used to work for Costco and customer service is highly regarded.

As for brands, Michelins and Pirelli are good, but cost a tad more than others. You can get a good tire from Yokohama (I buy these most often). I agree with ttrank on the Yokohama YK520, my wife had these on her Integra and they ride smooth, have a very long treadlife, and are fairly inexpensive, but I think they are a Discount Tire exclusive. You can buy a set of 4 on discounttiredirect.com for $616 shipped ($132 each), which includes certificates for free replacement if any of the tires are ever damaged. If you don't get a Yokohama, look at the Michelin Energy MXV4. I had a set of these on my Accord, they also ride smooth, have excellent treadlife, and handle rain good. In any case, don't go to the dealership, and don't get Goodyears.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:15 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to tirerack and buy the Avon M550 A/S tires. They are like $115/tire plus $30 for them shipped to your door. I bought a set for my car and my sister's car (both g35x) and they are phenomenal in the rain and snow.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I agree with RXM, or you can go to Sam's Club like I do with all my cars for tire changes, rotations, road hazard issues etc etc... Sam's is awesome with all their pricing and warranties/policies, free rotations lifetime, and they will match and go lower than Costo on anything, just talk to a manager. Guaranteed.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Yokohama Avid V4S and like them compared to the OEM Eagle RSA's. They have an Avid W4S now, but I don't drive near the 149 mph limit of either

Old 07-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by ttrank
???

My sport had the same size oem tires front and rear. The coupe has larger in the rear but not the sedan.
I was pretty sure the later 2005/06 sports had 225's in front and 245's in the rear but I may have that confused with the coupe.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by RXM
Go to tirerack and buy the Avon M550 A/S tires. They are like $115/tire plus $30 for them shipped to your door. I bought a set for my car and my sister's car (both g35x) and they are phenomenal in the rain and snow.
+1 I have the same for my stock wheels and love them. It will be a HUGE improvement over the OEM tires. Awesome tire, quieter than many and I bought them at TireRack as well. You can also go a bit wider and improve your handling. 235/50/17 is what I got for about $130/tire. The only other tire that I like a little bit more is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, but it's close to $200/tire and not worth the marginal difference IMO. G/L