G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35X rims are destroyed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35X rims are destroyed?

I recently took my car to the dealer for the 30k service. They also did a four wheel alignment. About a week later, the car started to shake and not track correctly at speeds above 60mph. So I took the car to a local alignment shop and was told the wheels were probably not correctly balanced. They worked on them, but could not get them to balance at all, even with a lot of weights.

Today they called me and said I need new rims. Has anyone had this problem? Also, what wheels should I get if I can't get Infiniti to pay? They won't I'm sure because the car is out of warranty. By one month.

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You should take your car to the dealer where you had the original alignment work done. Not sure why you would go somewhere else after just having work done that is likely related to your current problem.

You need more information than just - "you need new wheels." That doesn't make sense if the car was working fine and nothing happened to cause all 4 wheels to be out of balance at the same time and unable to be balanced. What caused the high speed problem? What do you mean - car won't track right? Normally tracking of the car indicates an alignment problem or a broken or unevenly worn tire. Are none of the wheels balancing correctly? Are any or all of the rims bent?

G/L with the dealer. I doubt you need all new wheels.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Thats crazy. Thats the first I have heard of this.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car has been shaking on the highway for a while. I got new tires 5 months ago. Maybe they did a bad balance job. My guess is when I took the car into service, they overlooked balancing the wheels, which seemed a likely problem. My guess is that it was literally 2 days from warranty expiration, and they did not want to have to pay for them.

The car seems to steer slightly left when I take my hands off the wheel. I was told that it was not possible to correctly balance 3 of the wheels. Maybe they were poorly made. My explanation (over the phone) is that they are old and worn out. I will be talking to them in person tomorrow.

And my service adviser is out of the office for a week and I absolutely need this fixed by next Friday for a road trip.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Did they check for water in the tires. Some dumb ass shop managers don't drain their air tanks. You CANNOT balance a tire with water in it.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Wheels can't get "worn out" Unless you've nailed some decent potholes and shaped your wheels like footballs (which would have blown out the tires), it sounds to me like the problem is the tires. Sometimes the only way to correct this is to dismount the tires rotate them 180 degrees and try again. Tires by nature are far from balanced.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
"My explanation (over the phone) is that they are old and worn out. I will be talking to them in person tomorrow."

that made me chuckle.

You could try taking it back to the dealer and tell them that you think they misaligned the car but if any work has to be done, it will be expensive since you're out of warranty. I'd just try another shop that will maybe dismount and remount all of the tires. The explaination that your wheels are "worn out" is kind of silly.

good luck

Old 08-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Old and worn out, that's funny.

On my current car, i nailed a good sized pothole and actually bent the wheel. It's just an OEM 17" wheel. On the wheel machine, you could actually see that it wasn't truely round anymore.

But i managed to get it to balance correctly and put it on the car and drove 5000 miles with it without a shudder in the steering wheel until i replaced the wheel.

I don't think balancing the wheels is part of the typical alignment service anyway. I could be wrong and they could have done it, but usually when get an alignment, they just align the car. It's possible something in the alignment came loose, maybe they didn't tighten up a component or something??

The tire sho[ claiming the wheels are bad is just funny. They were balanced before, unless you took it off-roading, i can't see it