G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Don't get hit by an uninsured driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not that we don't have uninsured motorist...Why should he pay for something another person is responsible for? If that's the case with the legal system for uninsured motorist then thats ****ty...Take them to court have a lawyer do it and file a claim with your company for uninsured motorist. Call it a day. You get you car fixed and have the winnings go to the insurance company. At least have the person get a fine for not having insurance or what not...It pisses me off that I work hard and have to pay insurance while someone goes driving around pretending they have insurance and gets a slap on the wrist when they get into an accident.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Many drivers who live in states with "mandatory insurance" pay the premium for 1 month to get the tags to go through, then cancel the policy. Your insurance carrier should be the party who pays to fix your ride then THEY take the idiot to court to recoup what they paid out.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
I'm not sure about your state but here you are required to have insurance and it IS the cop's job to confirm their insurance.
I live in Kansas and like any state, you are required to have insurance if you opearate any motor vehicle on public roads. When you title a car or get tags, you are required to show proof of insurance. When you get in a wreck, get caught speeding, whatever, the police will ask for proof of insurance. Most people have it, but a lot don't. Either they have invalid cards or don't have the card with them. When that happens, the police cite them for lack of insurance. The state or city gets the fine, but they could care less about that happens to the guy that got hit by the uninsured motorist. It's a civil matter therefore they will not get involved.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by hai109
It's not that we don't have uninsured motorist...Why should he pay for something another person is responsible for? If that's the case with the legal system for uninsured motorist then thats ****ty...Take them to court have a lawyer do it and file a claim with your company for uninsured motorist. Call it a day. You get you car fixed and have the winnings go to the insurance company. At least have the person get a fine for not having insurance or what not...It pisses me off that I work hard and have to pay insurance while someone goes driving around pretending they have insurance and gets a slap on the wrist when they get into an accident.
You've got blinders on if you think the state or insurance company is going to help someone out in a situation like this. The coverage is called uninsured motorist and if you don't have it, you're screwed in these situations. You can take the people to small claims court or sue them, but your chances of getting any money out of them are about nill plus are you REALLY going to hire an attorney to sue someone for $1000-20,000 (the value of damage or car)? You do realize that the attorney will take 40-60% if you will the case?

Get the uninsured motorist coverage. It's f-ing cheap and huge peace of mind. If you drive a nice car, you'd be a damn fool not to have it.

And yes, the system protects the jackasses in our society.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I live in Kansas and like any state, you are required to have insurance if you opearate any motor vehicle on public roads. When you title a car or get tags, you are required to show proof of insurance. When you get in a wreck, get caught speeding, whatever, the police will ask for proof of insurance. Most people have it, but a lot don't. Either they have invalid cards or don't have the card with them. When that happens, the police cite them for lack of insurance. The state or city gets the fine, but they could care less about that happens to the guy that got hit by the uninsured motorist. It's a civil matter therefore they will not get involved.
Same here in Texas, but most aholes make the down payment on 6 months worth of insurance and then never make the next payment. Sure they have a card and it shows that they are insured but they're not. They take the card and get their plates, inspection and whatever else they need and they have only paid for a month and a half of insurance. Nobody checks it, it's too much trouble (for them) to call the 800 number on the back and confirm it. Not even the cops do it. (We don't have the kind of data base that will show you are insured or not)

Call your insurance company and let them fight it out, it's their job.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
I'm not sure about your state but here you are required to have insurance and it IS the cop's job to confirm their insurance.
:werd: when i got into a small accident and it was my fault, i didn't have my insurance card or wallet with me...
the cop asked the other driver if he wanted me arrested for no DL and insurance. and the other guy said "YES" i heard him.. wat a dumbass..
my bro brought me the wallet and i was good to go~

Old 08-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DaveB
You've got blinders on if you think the state or insurance company is going to help someone out in a situation like this. The coverage is called uninsured motorist and if you don't have it, you're screwed in these situations. You can take the people to small claims court or sue them, but your chances of getting any money out of them are about nill plus are you REALLY going to hire an attorney to sue someone for $1000-20,000 (the value of damage or car)? You do realize that the attorney will take 40-60% if you will the case?

Get the uninsured motorist coverage. It's f-ing cheap and huge peace of mind. If you drive a nice car, you'd be a damn fool not to have it.

And yes, the system protects the jackasses in our society.
Like I said...Let the attorney handle it they will get whatever they want. File uninsured motorist claim. (I never said I don't have it) and call it a day. You will get your car fixed and all the other stuff makes it a hassle for the other person that is trying to get away with not being insured...Let the attorney and insurance company go after the person...

Old 08-30-2007, 04:03 PM
If you have uninsured motorist, you don't even have to hire a lawyer. Lady rear-ended the crap out of me and 4 other cars at an intersection. She had an insurance card at the scene and no active insurance on her vehicle. She did $15,700 of damage to my 2003.5 sedan (and no, it was never the same). I had to pay for a rental out of pocket (wife got rid of rental to save money) as well as my deductible on uninsured motor vehicle. My insurance company handled everything and gave me a check for almost $3,000 after they settled with the person at fault (about 4 months after the accident).

I traded in the car for a 2006 sedan (the Infiniti dealer knew about the accident, they did most of the work) and the carfax was clean when I traded it in.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Premier Member

Then there you go...Thanks...

Old 08-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Same here in Texas, but most aholes make the down payment on 6 months worth of insurance and then never make the next payment. Sure they have a card and it shows that they are insured but they're not. They take the card and get their plates, inspection and whatever else they need and they have only paid for a month and a half of insurance. Nobody checks it, it's too much trouble (for them) to call the 800 number on the back and confirm it. Not even the cops do it. (We don't have the kind of data base that will show you are insured or not)

Call your insurance company and let them fight it out, it's their job.
That sucks your state doesn't have everything in a database accesible for the police. Here in NC people hand me insurance cards all the time but I don't go by that information. I run the car's license plate or VIN number and get all the information that is on file with DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles). It takes 2 seconds for the info to come back and it comes directly from DMV's database. DMV's database is updated daily and anytime someone's insurance lapses that insurance company contacts DMV so it is updated in the system. It tells me all the registration info for the vehicle and all the insurance info such as provider and policy number. As long as it's legit I then fill out a driver exchange info form and give each party a copy of the other's info. If someone's insurance has lapsed, license revoked, registration expired, etc... I will cite them or even arrest them depending on their past history (I can access this as well) and the severity of the accident.

This is all very interesting to me. I'd hate to be a cop in a place where you don't have all that info readily available. I have noticed that when I run info for out-of-state drivers some of the info I get back from those state's DMVs don't provide all the info North Carolina's DMV provides. That is a major pain... Good luck to the original poster though, I hope this situation has a favorable ending for you...

Last edited by WUKILLABEEZ; 08-30-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by HexManiac
If you have uninsured motorist, you don't even have to hire a lawyer. Lady rear-ended the crap out of me and 4 other cars at an intersection. She had an insurance card at the scene and no active insurance on her vehicle. She did $15,700 of damage to my 2003.5 sedan (and no, it was never the same). I had to pay for a rental out of pocket (wife got rid of rental to save money) as well as my deductible on uninsured motor vehicle. My insurance company handled everything and gave me a check for almost $3,000 after they settled with the person at fault (about 4 months after the accident).

Exactly. For the extra $3/mo my wife paid for uninsured motorist coverage, she got a $8,500 check cut within a week to replace her Altima when the uninsured drunk totaled her car. We paid our $500 deductable which was later refunded. I don't know about you guys, but that's about as painless as it gets. State Farm took care of everything and we didn't have to lift a finger. They've got the big dawg lawyers working for them that will get results to favor their interests.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ
That sucks your state doesn't have everything in a database accesible for the police. Here in NC people hand me insurance cards all the time but I don't go by that information. I run the car's license plate or VIN number and get all the information that is on file with DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles). It takes 2 seconds for the info to come back and it comes directly from DMV's database. DMV's database is updated daily and anytime someone's insurance lapses that insurance company contacts DMV so it is updated in the system. It tells me all the registration info for the vehicle and all the insurance info such as provider and policy number. As long as it's legit I then fill out a driver exchange info form and give each party a copy of the other's info. If someone's insurance has lapsed, license revoked, registration expired, etc... I will cite them or even arrest them depending on their past history (I can access this as well) and the severity of the accident.

This is all very interesting to me. I'd hate to be a cop in a place where you don't have all that info readily available. I have noticed that when I run info for out-of-state drivers some of the info I get back from those state's DMVs don't provide all the info North Carolina's DMV provides. That is a major pain... Good luck to the original poster though, I hope this situation has a favorable ending for you...
That is really sweet and I wish other states did the same, but I still don't see how that would change that fact that this guy is screwed. You guys can arrest or fine these uninsured motorists, but that doesn't hold much bearing on whether or not they'll pay to fix the car they just trashed. You guys will get your money, but the private party is FUBARd.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Uninsured Motorist Protection FTW

Old 08-30-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by vstrizheus
Uninsured Motorist Protection FTW
and it doesn't make your insurance premium got that much higher either.

I can live without the car rental coverage, but I'm paranoid about not having the uninsured motorist.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned
do you have full coverage. i assume so since you are in a G!

why do you think you got scammed? as long as you have his personal info, then your insurance will be going after him, since its not YOUR FAULT your deductable whould be waved. no? yes?

when ever i go to EPPING in NH i am always careful of cars around me, cuz they dont require insurance in NH.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Don't get hit by an uninsured driver