G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Don't get hit by an uninsured driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ttrank
I'm not sure about your state but here you are required to have insurance and it IS the cop's job to confirm their insurance.
ttrank, I'd just like to know where you got that information. I'm an officer in Tucson, and in the years I've been doing this we've never been required to sit there and confirm that the piece of paper is actually current up to that minute. ARS 28-4135 simply states that a motor vehicle operated in AZ insurance of state minimums, "shall have evidence within the motor vehicle of current financial responsibility", and shall "produce evidence of financial responsibility on the request of a law enforcement officer investigating a motor vehicle accident or an alleged violation of a motor vehicle law of this state." I'm just interested to know if you heard this somewhere.

Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ
That sucks your state doesn't have everything in a database accesible for the police. Here in NC people hand me insurance cards all the time but I don't go by that information. I run the car's license plate or VIN number and get all the information that is on file with DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles). It takes 2 seconds for the info to come back and it comes directly from DMV's database. DMV's database is updated daily and anytime someone's insurance lapses that insurance company contacts DMV so it is updated in the system. It tells me all the registration info for the vehicle and all the insurance info such as provider and policy number. As long as it's legit I then fill out a driver exchange info form and give each party a copy of the other's info. If someone's insurance has lapsed, license revoked, registration expired, etc... I will cite them or even arrest them depending on their past history (I can access this as well) and the severity of the accident.

This is all very interesting to me. I'd hate to be a cop in a place where you don't have all that info readily available. I have noticed that when I run info for out-of-state drivers some of the info I get back from those state's DMVs don't provide all the info North Carolina's DMV provides. That is a major pain... Good luck to the original poster though, I hope this situation has a favorable ending for you...
I'm not sure if your system is much different than ours, although lets be honest that the system is not fool-proof. If someone here gets a vehicle, they are required to show proof of insurance up to the state minimums in order to get the vehicle registered. After that, the DMV assumes that the person has current insurance until the insurance provider contacts the DMV and notifies them of cancellation of insurance. Once the DMV is notified, it goes into the DMV database that we can check on a traffic stop. So yes, if the person failed to pay their insurance premium or cancelled their policy, the DMV should find out about it and make the proper notation on the driver's record. But that's assuming the insurance company does their part. If they don't, then there is no way for the DMV to find out. The DMV doesn't sit there and call everyone's insurance companies on a daily basis to find out if the policy is current. As an officer, if I pull someone over and they hand me a legitimate proof of insurance card that has correct names, vehicle, VIN, and current date, and I get no information from the DMV telling me otherwise that it has been cancelled, then I'm going with the evidence that has been presented to me and my judgement has to be that the insurance policy is valid.

In any traffic collision, I am providing names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance companies names, policy numbers, contact information, vehicle information, etc to all drivers involved. That is standard proceedure for my department, and common sense for any officer in this state. However, we do not have the time nor the ability to contact the 1 800 numbers on the insurance card to find out directly from the operator if the insurance policy is current (what happens when I'm on a traffic stop at midnight; do you think someone is going to answer the phone?). As far as I am concerned, the driver told me that they have current insurance. If it turns out they don't, then 1) the other driver who is getting screwed needs to contact their insurance company to get it resolved, possibly taking the uninsured party to court, and 2) I should be notified so that I can go back to this uninsured driver and cite them (paper arrest) for a) no mandatory insurance and b) false statment to a police officer. Plain and simple.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinHeld
If you're this pissed off about this girl hitting you, why are you just giving up and letting her get away with "scamming you, the cop and the insurance company". If you don't feel like dealing with it, then talk to your insurance company and ask what happens if you submit a claim. I'd be willing to bet that they go after her themselves. Why would they pay when they can get her to? This is what our tort system is designed for.
I'm not giving up. Her address is in San Fran but she said she lives in our town.I don't think either is true I think she bailed. We cannot locate her and the police nor insurance can as well. Believe me I'm not giving up

Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ
That sucks your state doesn't have everything in a database accesible for the police. Here in NC people hand me insurance cards all the time but I don't go by that information. I run the car's license plate or VIN number and get all the information that is on file with DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles). It takes 2 seconds for the info to come back and it comes directly from DMV's database. DMV's database is updated daily and anytime someone's insurance lapses that insurance company contacts DMV so it is updated in the system. It tells me all the registration info for the vehicle and all the insurance info such as provider and policy number. As long as it's legit I then fill out a driver exchange info form and give each party a copy of the other's info. If someone's insurance has lapsed, license revoked, registration expired, etc... I will cite them or even arrest them depending on their past history (I can access this as well) and the severity of the accident.

This is all very interesting to me. I'd hate to be a cop in a place where you don't have all that info readily available. I have noticed that when I run info for out-of-state drivers some of the info I get back from those state's DMVs don't provide all the info North Carolina's DMV provides. That is a major pain... Good luck to the original poster though, I hope this situation has a favorable ending for you...
Well I've never been a fan of our police dept. The wreck happend so close to the police station that the officer just walked over aand took the info and never checked to see if anybodys insurance was valid. I just wish we has police that were as thourough as you.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:17 PM
well I do have unisured motorist and looks like I will have to file a claim with mu insurance. I just got an estimate from my favorite hot rod shop and it was for $1300 for the damage!! I just hate this zhit!! and yes the system potects the idiots!!!

Hey if anything this was a good way to find how how many of you'z guy'z are COPS You guys wouldn't pull me over in my G now would you???

Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by HUMBOLDT_G
well I do have unisured motorist and looks like I will have to file a claim with mu insurance. I just got an estimate from my favorite hot rod shop and it was for $1300 for the damage!! I just hate this zhit!! and yes the system potects the idiots!!!

Hey if anything this was a good way to find how how many of you'z guy'z are COPS You guys wouldn't pull me over in my G now would you???
If you have uninsured motorist coverage, then you have nothing to worry about. They should cut you a check. You have no need to go after her, etc. because your carrier should do that.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:31 AM
You have no need to go after her, etc. because your carrier should do that.[/QUOTE]

Ya but it would feel so good

Old 08-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Banned
in mass the cops MAKE SURE you have INSURANCE & REGISTRATION. not only that they run you for WARRANTS too sometimes at an accident scene. thats why you ALWAYS want to call a cop to the scene to write a report.
unless its a lazy cop then he will just show up to hurry you along.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by killerlexus
in mass the cops MAKE SURE you have INSURANCE & REGISTRATION. not only that they run you for WARRANTS too sometimes at an accident scene. thats why you ALWAYS want to call a cop to the scene to write a report.
unless its a lazy cop then he will just show up to hurry you along.
I think that's standard practice in any state or local law enforcement division. They always want to make sure the individuals that have been pulled over aren't wanted by some authority.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by DaveB
I think that's standard practice in any state or local law enforcement division. They always want to make sure the individuals that have been pulled over aren't wanted by some authority.

exactly. especially after 9/11

Old 08-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darnelled
Many drivers who live in states with "mandatory insurance" pay the premium for 1 month to get the tags to go through, then cancel the policy. Your insurance carrier should be the party who pays to fix your ride then THEY take the idiot to court to recoup what they paid out.
If you do that in GA you will receive a notice that your license will be suspended until you get the vehicle covered.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Well thanks for all the help fellas

Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
How about uninsured, non-licensed, non-English speaking DRUNK driver...

The first new car I ever bought was a 1990 Acura Integra... had it 3 months - sitting at a stop light behind one other car and BAM!!!! Rear-ended... then BAMMM!!!! Again!!!!

I literally thought someone was trying to take me out (as is end it for me)... the second collision pushed me into the vehicle in front of me and my car was crumpled like an accordion. Frame completely bent, body a mess...

Thank gawd there was a cop in the left turn lane that saw everything and before I could figure out what was happening he was on the driver (behind me)... Turns out the guy was completely phucking wasted and told the cop (in Spanish) his brakes didn't work... Cop got in the car, they worked fine... I think the f-ing idiot tried to hit the brakes after he rear-ended me the first time and was so phucked up he hit the gas and plowed into me harder a second time!

Unlicensed, uninsured and wasted... As the idiot sat cuffed in the back of the cop car it took everything in my power not to open the door or break the window and punch the bastard right in the face... I had to walk by him on my way to the gas station to buy a pack of smokes (after having quite for 3 months since I bought the car and didn’t want to smoke in it)...

Car was a total loss – bought a ’91 (didn’t have the same color combo so that sucked)… lost initial down payment and finance rate was higher because on the 2nd car I had to go 100% financing… consolation, a BS law called “victim, witness restitution fund”… I thought ‘oh good at least I’ll get my down payment back’… until I found out that even though it was/is a law, there was not ONE case where anyone had ever paid into the fund! Besides, I’m sure the “criminal” went to Mexico as soon as he was released.

So that’s my uninsured story… and BTW – my GF is full blooded Mexican and I have many Mexican friends (I’m in So Cal for cryin out loud)… so this isn’t about “damn Mexican’s”… it’s about damn non-English speaking, non-insured, drunken ****** phuckers crashing into US citizens!!!!

End Rant. (this topic struck a nerve, can you tell?)…

Old 09-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
go through your insurance company becuase if you've had a clean record they might not raise your rates at all. I wrecked my 02 Acura Tl-S and then got my G, but becuase we had a flawless record my insurance didnt go up at all. I have Allstate btw.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by ndndiablo88
go through your insurance company becuase if you've had a clean record they might not raise your rates at all. I wrecked my 02 Acura Tl-S and then got my G, but becuase we had a flawless record my insurance didnt go up at all. I have Allstate btw.
I'm with allstate too, BTW

Old 09-03-2007, 12:39 PM
yup i agree state farm rocks and based on personal experiences they treat you really well and dont cheap out when writing a check. If you dont have much time then just contact a lawyer at this time. Believe me neither AAA, that biach or your insurance company wants you to go to lawyer. Yes he will keep about 30-40% of whats recovered but thats still better then nothing at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Don't get hit by an uninsured driver