G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

graphite interior (too hot?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
graphite interior (too hot?)

Hey guys, I'm planning on purchasing a car this spring and I'm trying to decide on the color. I really like the silver with the graphite, but I'm concerned about how hot the interior will get in the summer. I read somewhere that the G comes with heat-reflecting window tint. True? If so, does it work?

Old 02-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Re: graphite interior (too hot?)

In my opinion, the best way to deflect heat is get high quality window tints, gives the interior UV protection, and less sun glare, the heat-reflecting windows already on our G's are not enough, especially in the summer.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:22 PM

I don’t know about the heat reflecting window tint, but I have a black on black G and it does get hot in the AZ summer. However, it’s not that much hotter than a car with light interior. If you’re really that worried, this is how I deal with the heat in the summer.

I highly recommend tint, I have 20% tint on the front and 5% on the sides and rear window.

I purchased a nice front window shade. I think it’s called a Heat Shield, I got it from the dealer for $25. It not only blocks the sun, but it reflects some of the heat as well.

Also, I’ve found that as you’re walking up to the car after it’s been parked in the hot sun, use your remote to roll down all the windows before you get there. This helps tremendously by letting out much of the heat. In AZ, I’ve found that if I do this the car doesn’t feel any hotter than the surrounding air-- but it gets pretty hot here. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you really like the black interior, I wouldn’t let your fear of heat sway your decision. IMO, it’s not that big of a deal and the black interior really looks nice.

03.5 5AT Sedan
<font color=black> Black on Graphite / Prem / Sport / Winter / Tint / Aero Package </font color=black>

Old 02-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

phdvamp, damn, we are almost as hot as you guys are in AZ, I don't think the graphite is bad, my last car was a Mustang vert, with dark charcoal interior, black top, that got hot, but the tint and a windshield sun shade helped a lot! I'd like to find that Heat Shield like you have, was it only available from the dealer? My G has 3M ColorStable 35% tint. I agree, if they like the black interior, go for it, I did, it won't bother me in the summer

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 02-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from another arizona G owner, I have a black on graphite car and it really isn't that bad.

the seats are perforated which helps alot, the steering wheel doesn't get so hot I can touch it as long as it is out of the sun (sunshade or tree shade). Where I live I can leave the sunroof cracked slightly to help, but like these guys have said, it is no hotter than any other car I have owned and cooler than some.

Better Life thru Chemistry
Black on Black 03.5 Sedan 6MT - Custom Catback, Custom Intake Tube, HyperGround Kit

Old 02-23-2004, 05:53 PM

ABQ_G35,
I’m pretty sure I have the sunscreen brand name wrong, but I’ll check after work and post it tomorrow. They’re a little more expensive than most brands ‘cause they’re insulated and cut to fit each car model. I’ve seen them in several different dealers’ parts departments (Saturn, Infiniti, Nissan, etc). I’m not sure if they’re in the auto stores, but it may be worth a phone call to check.
Jen

PS. G35_4_Me, another summer trick I learned is when I wear shorts, I sit on a black towel. It keeps your legs from getting burned and you won’t sweat on the leather.

03.5 5AT Sedan
<font color=black> Black on Graphite / Prem / Sport / Winter / Tint / Aero Package </font color=black>

Old 02-23-2004, 07:03 PM

Thanks, I'd apprecate that!

3point5SE_Auto , yes, not bad at all, and leather is much better than vinyl, damn vinyl would melt your butt!

Trending Topics

Old 02-23-2004, 08:33 PM

It's called a HeatShield, and if your Infiniti dealer's parts dept. doesn't stock them, you can order direct from CanvasWorks. I think they're worth every penny, and they do a great job of reducing interior heat even without window tinting (but that helps even more, of course).

The graphite interior isn't going to be noticeably warming than willow on a hot day. It's leather v. cloth that makes any kind of difference if you're wearing shorts.. but that's about it.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:04 PM

Ryoken,
Does this give off any "oily" film? I had an "insulated" shade once that got my windshield all "greasy" like vinyl does, just wanted to ask, sounds like a good deal on this!

Old 02-23-2004, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too worried about that, living in Oklahoma.

I've been happy with the willow interior.

2004 Sedan/DVD Navigation/Desert Platinum/Willow

Old 02-23-2004, 11:09 PM

I've been using them on several cars for years, and haven't noticed anything oily on the windshield. I do get a slight haze on my winshield from time to time that requires a little glass cleaner, but it's not the HeatShield doing that... that occurs even when I'm not using the HeatShield -- caused by the plastics in the dashboard materials, I believe.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:35 PM

I only had my G for a short time before it stopped being hot, but I never noticed anything on the windshield, I did put a reflective sunshade up when parked though, plus my tint, I'm sure that helped!

Old 02-23-2004, 11:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan

Amen, The Heat Shield is awesome. I have been using them for over 15 years.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:37 AM

Sure the dust may be visible, but a lighter color sure shows the dirt a lot more, I've had light and dark interiors, and I prefer the dark, and I don't think the heat makes that big a difference with the leather IMO!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: graphite interior (too hot?)