G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Z tube install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z tube install

Well...pulled the trigger on a Z tube (from Courtesy Nissan). BIG THANKS to SoCalTed for his install info. Took minutes to do. Ted...you are the greatest. LOVE the sound. Butt dyno says "yes I feel a difference" (have a K&N replacement already. May go to a Pop Charger eventually). NOW THE HITCH. When re-installing the engine cover the top of the front left (passenger) "domed" (for lack of a better word) screw came off. The threaded part of the screw is still in the hole. Also when I installed the front right "domed" screw it seemed to strip the "female" threads (had a bit of shaving in the male threads) so it wont catch and tighten now. WTF??!! I swear I DID NOT over torque the screws. To the contrary,,,bareley tightened them when the "stripping" occurred and the top came off. When the front right stripped I move the "flat head" right rear screw to the front to test and it threaded so I left it there. Moved the right front "domed" screw to the right rear, tightened it lightly and it's top came off! ARRGGG! On both "domed" screws when I re attached the tops they hold so the cover is now secure but not in a "stock" manner. Anyone have this problem? Again...I learned as a kid not to force or over torque a screw or bolt. VERY HAPPY with Z tube but VERY CONFUSED as to what happened with the cover reinstall. TIA for the feedback. Sorry for the long post.

Teddy

Obsidian/Graphite; Premium Pkg; Aero Kit; Suspension Kit; Nav Sys; Sunroof; Clear side markers. Next...GroundingGear

Old 02-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Z tube install

Is there any thing left on the broken ones you can grab with pliers and try to twist out? Otherwise I would think in the worst case scenario you'd have to punch them through and tap the holes a thread size bigger and get new bolts. That aluminum is soft and it seems easy to strip. You might want to have a mechanic look at it. Sorry to hear, that's my $0.02.

2K4 G35x/Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Premium/Wood
Stillen Hi-Flow/ Z tube/ Ground Kit