G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

I'm pleased with my new used Infiniti G35 except for one thing.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pleased with my new used Infiniti G35 except for one thing.

Hi,

About a month ago, I picked up my 2005 carribean blue G35 RWD sedan with the 5-speed automatic. I traded-in my 2001 Audi TT Quattro 225 hp 6-speed. I love the style and feel of this car. The power is very impressive, as the acceleration feels noticably stronger than the TT from basically any speed. I did not think a G35 would feel faster than a TT, but it really does. Overall, the G35 is just as sporty, if not more sporty, then the TT. And yet it's so much more practical and comfortable. I'm glad I opted for the 2005 model with all of the revisions. Overall, this is a great "all arounder" car.

The only complaint I have is the car slips when I use over 1/2 throttle, especially in the rain. I've heard that rear-wheel drive has sportier handling in the dry, which is why I wanted a RWD, but the drawback is less overall traction compared to all-wheel drive. From the way my car drives, however, I can't believe the traction is this much worse. Is this just the way the G35 is, and there's not anything wrong with my car? Or is there something wrong with my tires or maybe the traction control is off? Everytime I really get on it, the car slides, and the word 'slip' is displayed on the dash. It's very unsettling. I'm worried I may slide in the oncoming lane if I floor the throttle from a stop. I really want to be able to enjoy this car's performance without worrying about sliding and sliping. Does anyone have any idea what the issue may be?

Last edited by Timothy0987; 04-03-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
First congrats on the car, 2 do you have your VDC on or off?

Last edited by 04G35NYC; 04-03-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:22 PM
the tires that come stock with the g35 sedan suck. terrible traction and rather narrow. they are just undersized for the car's power and weight IMO. thats why most get aftermarket rims and tires that are wider, cause only than can you really enjoy the g's handling and power. its worth the money, plus it looks better!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:38 PM
Vdc?

I know you may think this is a stupid question, but how do you tell if the VDC is on or off?

Also I thought the stock tires on the G35 would be just fine. My car has the sports package with the 18 inch wheels and low profile tires. They are even bigger than the tires I had on my TT. Surely such tires as these would not just 'suck.'

Old 04-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Timothy0987
I know you may think this is a stupid question, but how do you tell if the VDC is on or off?

Also I thought the stock tires on the G35 would be just fine. My car has the sports package with the 18 inch wheels and low profile tires. They are even bigger than the tires I had on my TT. Surely such tires as these would not just 'suck.'
there will be a light that says VDC that will be on... the button is on the left of the steering wheel next to the trunk button

Old 04-04-2008, 12:17 AM

i had the same tires as you when i bought my 2005 g35 6mt sedan. . .turenzas i believe. read up reviews on those tires, i did, not very good, and i believe they are all season as well. the rims are only 7" wide, and the tire size is 235/45/18 all around. Now if they were perhaps summer tires (better grip) at 235 width, than you would be doing better, but combination of all seasons and only 235 width does not make for the best traction given you have approx 270 ftlbs trq on tap. the TT was quattro i'm assuming, so it doesn't need 'wide' tires for good traction. but yea, i always lost traction when stepping on the gas hard, or taking a corner hard with that stock set up. our car is pretty heavy at around 3400 lbs, and has good power, so just by pure dynamics, if you want better traction, you just need either grippier tires and/or wider tires. the word "suck" to me coudl be different to you, but i push my G pretty hard during street driving for fun one in a while, and track it as well. gluck

Old 04-04-2008, 12:33 AM
if you turn off the VDC can u burn out in it? cause everytime i try burn out it say slip

Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Check your tires. I don't have many miles on my 05 but my tires are well worn. I have the Goodyear ones (summer tires I believe) that were pretty good in the rain when new but not so much now. Even with good tires, you will always need to be careful in slippery conditions with rwd. The VDC should keep you out of trouble but it's not 100%.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are certain that your car is 2005.. but are you certain it is caribbean blue? They didn't make any CB in 2005, only 2003 and 2004.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
^+1.

Besides i can't imagine myself going to stock tires or even stock suspension. The car would be sooo fukin boring to drive.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi,
The only complaint I have is the car slips when I use over 1/2 throttle, especially in the rain. I've heard that rear-wheel drive has sportier handling in the dry, which is why I wanted a RWD, but the drawback is less overall traction compared to all-wheel drive. From the way my car drives, however, I can't believe the traction is this much worse. Is this just the way the G35 is, and there's not anything wrong with my car? Or is there something wrong with my tires or maybe the traction control is off? Everytime I really get on it, the car slides, and the word 'slip' is displayed on the dash. It's very unsettling. I'm worried I may slide in the oncoming lane if I floor the throttle from a stop. I really want to be able to enjoy this car's performance without worrying about sliding and sliping. Does anyone have any idea what the issue may be?
RWD + 306 HP = Slipping in any car. And the G has a special oversteer property that makes it great for drifting .

Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soyusause
if you turn off the VDC can u burn out in it? cause everytime i try burn out it say slip
LOL yes turn your VDC off

Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DieselX
I'm pretty sure you are certain that your car is 2005.. but are you certain it is caribbean blue? They didn't make any CB in 2005, only 2003 and 2004.

+1 good point

Old 04-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Vdc Off In Dry Conditions ..

Vdc On In Wet Conditions ..

Old 04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's nothing wrong with your car or your tires. Doesn't matter what kind of tires you have, if you punch it on wet pavement, your rear tires will slip. Welcome to the world of RWD. I've driven a couple of AWD cars and they launch way better in the rain, it's just something you'll get a feel for over time.

This reminds me of a Windows user sitting in front of a Mac and going 'uh... I can't right-click anything'... yeah, there's only one button on a Mac's mouse, no such thing as right-click. Get used to it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm pleased with my new used Infiniti G35 except for one thing.