G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Why does my TipTronic start at 4m?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does my TipTronic start at 4m?

I've been trying to figure this one out for the last week.. everytime I move the gate over to manual mode.. its in 4m.. and it doesn't matter from where I'm doing it .. driving.. or at a standstill (which you KNOW means I'm in 1st ) Does anyone know why that is?

2004 G35s 5AT DG/Graphite/Premium/Huper Optik Tint

Old 04-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Re: Why does my TipTronic start at 4m?

its not a true tiptronic gear shift, when you switch to manumatic mode, what happens is that it sets the gear as the maximum gear the car will go to. So when it says 4, it means it will go through all the gears up to 4 but wont switch to 5. This is good for downshifting to the right powerband but when ur on the dragstrip just stick with D.

If you want true tiptronic u have to go with BMW or the new Audi TT double clutch/ double gear ? system which is pretty neat.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:14 PM

so when it's at 4m, I've been manually dropping down to 1st and then shifting up as I gain speed and stuff.. is that correct?

Old 04-09-2004, 08:21 PM

4M was described to me as "safety gear". No matter what speed you're going, the 1 to 1 ratio is safe to drive at. When you stop it should go to 1M for you.

When you're in manumatic, and you get to a light, don't forget you're in it. I've stepped on it and at around 45 realized I was still in first.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:43 PM

I believe there is a safety so that if you "forget" to shift it will still shift automatically before you redline.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:02 AM

Does it? I know most cars dont have that feature. If your on 1st, your on 1st and be prepared....

Old 04-10-2004, 12:14 AM

if you have been manually switching the gears as you gain speed then what your doing is ur just "allowing" the car to shift up to the next gear, tahts why when u are at whatever rpm u are at and u click shift up u will notice a lag till it seems to shift to the next gear.

Again i just say, when ur drag racing stick with D, the car will do a better job of shifting for you, look up the ECU reset for the AT to shift better.

As for the safety gear, im not surprised taht its there, i just never would want to acutally test out whether it is there.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

Some of the cars will shift on their own, while others will hold the gear no matter if you're constantly running it off the rev limiter. It depends on the computer in the car, as there are a few different programs out there between the sedans and coupes.
And it switches to 4th for safety reasons (to the drivetrain mostly) and it also makes it so there's not a sudden, drastic change in rpms under normal driving, at normal driving speeds.

Justin @
EverythingG35.com

Old 04-10-2004, 01:08 AM

This has been discussed before. It seems the 2004 differs from the 2003. In my 04, when I switch to manual mode, the gear starts @ 1st when I am at a stop & never leaves that gear while accelerating without my imput. It will stay in 2nd till I push it up to 3rd, & so on. It does drop the gears down to 1st as I slow to a stop.
I believe the 03 model was a top gear limiter only.

2004 DG 5AT
Aero Sport Premium

Old 04-10-2004, 02:48 AM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

geezerb is right. '03 is a top gear limiter.

check out this thread on manumatic mode.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 04-10-2004, 08:04 AM

But that doesn't make any sense as I'm sure mine is a 04 Sedan, or does Geezer have a coupe? So basically when I switch to manual and its in 4 I DO NOT have to manually drop it down to first? I think I somewhat understand what he's talkin about as it won't shift up unless you do it yourself

Old 04-10-2004, 08:10 AM

If you're STOPPED, it should shift into 1M when you switch. If you're MOVING, it should shift into 4M when you switch. If you're moving, why would you want to downshift to 1M, unless you're trying to stop?

The 2004.5 will not upshift for you if you redline, it will cut off fuel, that's my understanding. When I say "safety mode" I don't mean it will upshift on redline, I mean that when you go from auto to manu, it starts you out in 4M because that's the only way the G knows will never damage your tranny. Unless you're stopped of course, then it will start you out in 1M.

Old 04-10-2004, 08:44 AM

Ok.. I just drove to walmart. I'm SURE I was at a complete stop, and switched over to manual mode.. it was in 4m AGAIN.. HOWEVER.. I was able to shift up to 5.. which I thought wasn't possible?

Old 04-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

mine does that, too. starts at 4 when at stop and you can shift up to 5. '03 sedan here. catatafish's will be different because he has a coupe. and from what i've read, the coupes have the real "tiptronic" type of shifting while the sedans have "manumatic" top gear limiters.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 04-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Premier Member

04 Sedan..has a "top gear selector" only. When you swirth to "manual" mode from "D" it will always be in 4th ( high gear selector), but in essence , say, from a stop the car will work up from first too fourth. The car will bounce off the rev limiter in the selected gear..for instance if you knock it down too one, floor it, at the redline it will not shiftup for you. As for down shifting, the car will do it for you automatically, the display will stay in "4" (again high gear selector), but will shift down too 1 at a stop. The coupe is different than the sedan, I think the person who explained this too me was Ryoken, we had a similar thread before, and the mechanics at Infiniti. The Seadn's shiftter is not a true "manu-matic", it only allows for some driver input. Hope this helps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why does my TipTronic start at 4m?