G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Dave B - Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave B - Question

Dave:

How restrictive is the OEM exhaust? My sedan is almost set up the same as yours. I know the preformance shop was saying that the next thing I should get is exhaust, but I don't want a load drone. I know you had both the Borla and Stillen on your car.

Also which sport shocks would you recommend I get. I am dropped on
350Z/Coupe springs.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Does your PM not work?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
since its for Dave only i won't respond.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
With the stillen gen I and II / Borla, you will have drone due to the dual type exhaust/resonators etc..

Klubbs here seems to have sorted that out with a 100% custom dual.

You don't want drone but want bolt on exhaust, you "probably" have to go Coupe middy and HKS rear section. ie.. avoid any true dual type

Old 07-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stop calling me dave.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by snotf
stop calling me dave.
HUH?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
HUH?
me too!

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmykce1
Dave:

How restrictive is the OEM exhaust? My sedan is almost set up the same as yours. I know the preformance shop was saying that the next thing I should get is exhaust, but I don't want a load drone. I know you had both the Borla and Stillen on your car.

Also which sport shocks would you recommend I get. I am dropped on
350Z/Coupe springs.

Thanks in advance for your input.
IMO, the stock exhaust isn't restrictive at all, assuming you don't have a power adder. Can the Borla or Stillen TD flow more air? Hell yes. A ton more air. However, can the motor take advantage of it? Not so much, even with tuning. Years ago (early 2003) in Sport Compact Magazine, they did a test with their new 350Z project car and the new Borla TD exhaust. On the flow bench, the Borla could move nearly twice the amount of air, if I remember correctly. However, when they strapped the car to the dyno, it didn't make any additional power. They concluded that the Cali 91 octane fuel and a restrictive ECU were to blame for the lack of gain. I think they were about half right. I also think the problem is the OEM exhaust (almost 2.5" ID) is pretty dang good for a good revving V6. A single 3" exhaust is plenty big for an LT1/LS1 (I had one on my 94 Z28) therefore I'd think it's safe to assume the stock G/Z piping is adequate for a motor that displaces 2.2 liters and 40 to 70whp less. This isn't to say there aren't some gains to be made with the Stillen/Borla TD exhausts. 4 to 6 whp isn't unheard of and maybe a coupe more with some tuning. The tradeoffs are reduced throttle response and power below 2500rpms (primarily autos feel the reduction more) and of course the noise (again, more of an issue with the autos).

I did have the Borla for about a week, but I've never had the Stillen. According to all my research, the Borla was the quietest and made basically the same power. After having the Borla installed, I'd hate to hear how loud the Stillen 1st gen exhaust is because the Borla was pretty loud from idle to 3000rpms and droned badly below 3000rpms. It also created additional NVH because of the drone and lack of flex sections. Additionally, the car felt pretty letharigic, even after 300 miles of driving. I didn't find the sound increase acceptable for a sports sedan so I removed it. With a 6MT, it may have been more acceptable because I could have stayed out of the drone range easier. The vibrations really annoyed though.

About 6 months later I got the coupe midpipe, but wasn't really pleased with the sound quality plus the setup created some vibrations because the midpipe reverberated a bit more because only one of the hangers is utilized forward of the pumpkin. 3 months later I put on an 06 sedan midpipe and bam, it was the sound I was looking for. Refined, deep, no drone, sexy, etc. There are videos of my setup floating around this site. I will probably eventually go with some Berk HFCs plus the Technosquare ECU flash.

As for shocks, I've been very happy with my Sport shocks matched with the Z/coupe combo. When it comes time to replace, I will probably just get 350Z shocks which have 1" shorter housing which means 1" more wheel travel. That should improve ride quality slightly plus reduce the chances of crashing into the stops. If you've got the money, consider Koni Yellows or for the big bucks, Bilsteins. I'm not a fan Tokicos.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
+1 on the '05/'06 sedan midpipe. I aleady had HFCs when I bolted up the Borla, I swear it was louder in the car than it was outside (just my opinion, others will disagree). My low end suffered but there was an improvement for the occasional run up to redline. NVH increased and was significantly worse at certain RPMs.

After the noise and several comments from various passengers, I couldn't take it anymore and removed the Borla. I installed the 05/06 sedan midpipe mated to my original muffler. I got my low end back, lost some weight from the original midpipe and improved the tone and general performance of my sedan.

It's been on there since and I love it! I can keep it quiet when I have clients in the car but open it up as soon as they get out.

Just my $0.02

Old 07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks...

Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
jimmy I'd try the HKS rear and see how you like it. I've got one currently and think it sounds awesome, but it does vibrate a bit between 2000-3500 rpm. I tend to have some older folks in my car that every once in a while complain about it. So if you are already worried about drone I'd say the HKS is a good start then you can step it up if you want to. In any case you can pick one up for half the price of a stillen or borla plus if you don't like it or want something more aggressive you can sell it fast on the boards without much damage to the pocketbook.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM
I will be looking at HFC later on, like Dave B suggested. I am assuming that is the restrictive part on the stock exhaust.

As for shocks I am sticking with my OEM sport shocks until I need to replace them. I thaught one of my struts was going bad but it wasn't which I was glad.

Dave B is there any way to reflash your ECU without having to mail it in?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
OP - all the questions you have are addressed 10 fold in the various forums that each question applies to... look in intake/exhaust for your exhaust questions - look in tuning for your ECU flash questions, etc...

Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You don't want drone but want bolt on exhaust, you "probably" have to go Coupe middy and HKS rear section. ie.. avoid any true dual type
I have this setup (350z middy with 8" extension welded mind you...) and can vouch 100% for a total lack of drone. infact when cruising at 2k you really don't hear the exhaust one bit.

When you get on her she barks at you real nice though

Old 07-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmykce1
Dave B is there any way to reflash your ECU without having to mail it in?
Since you have an 06, you have many more options than my redheaded step child 2003 G sedan when it comes to ECU tuning. Most of your tunes can be ordered on a CD and then uploaded on to your ECU via a laptop. You're lucky. Search the tuning forum for more answers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dave B - Question