G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Noise in driver's seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise in driver's seat

Every time I turn right, I hear a pop in the driver's seat. It has become more frequent lately, but since it's only a small nuisance, I was planning to wait until my 15K service to have them check it out. Anyone else have this problem? I'm going to take it in, but I wanted to get an idea of what it might be before I do. By the way, I'm an average sized person (5'8" 170lbs.) so I don't think it has much to do with my weight or size.

'03.5 G35s IP/G
Sport/Premium/Aero/Nav
K&N filter

Old 04-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Noise in driver's seat

I think I have the same noise, but still not sure it's coming from the seat, since I don't feel it like when the seat was loose (had that fixed a while back) It really is a samll nuisance, but I'd be curious to see what it is!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 04-29-2004, 12:04 AM

Sounds like the 'rocking chair' problem. It is rocking from the front right to the left rear. Welcome to the family. And also if you have the premium (Anyone really) you also get the heated feet mod also.

]

Old 04-29-2004, 12:13 AM

But, my seat isn't moving when I hear the noise, and I did have the "rocking chair" fixed already, I really believe this is something else, any way to test for that? And, just what is the "heated feet" mod?

Old 04-29-2004, 12:16 AM

So did I. My rocking seat started with a click, then started moving. They fixed the seat the first time, now it just makes noise. I truly believe it is the same problem. If it is not the same, I apologize. But I am just going by my experience.

]

Old 04-29-2004, 01:19 AM

I get this noise every once in a while. It's not very loud and it sounds like it comes from the door sill for me. It happens when I take turns a little harder than usual. Do you guys think it might be the body flexing a bit? I hope if stops after a while.

Andrew

Old 04-29-2004, 11:27 AM

Mine's in tomorrow for service and for this issue too. I don't have movement, just the noise. I'll let you know what I find. I also have something 'vibrating' inside my passenger seat, sounds like a spring or something. Makes a horrible (yet quiet) noise when stepping on the gas hard

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S

Old 04-30-2004, 09:49 AM

The seat does not move, but the noise is clearly in the seat itself. Sounds like Doogie's got the same problem. Let us know what they find.

'03.5 G35s IP/G 5AT
Sport/Premium/Aero/Nav
K&N filter

Old 04-30-2004, 10:19 AM

You might want to check the seat belt adjuster. I had this popping noise ever since I purchase the car and told the dealer who thought it was the window, so they replace the window seals according to a TSB. A month ago, I got fustrated with this poping noise and decided to investigate. It turns out that the plastic peice that attaches the loop to the adjustor was hitting each other. I moved the adjustor down so there would not be a gap and low and behold, the noise is gone. Just to be clear, my popping noise was very soft, like the noise if you flip your fingernails together. This was not a noise that anyone other then the driver could hear. GL

Old 04-30-2004, 05:49 PM

I can say it's not the seatbelt adjuster. I've definitely fiddled with that, this is coming from the bottom of the seat and sometimes sounds like it's coming from underneath the vehicle.

Well, the guys at the service department were unable to reproduce the problem. But... today I found myself MORE than unimpressed with the helpfulness of the service department I went to (I won't mention names for now since I've not talked to anyone over there about it yet... I'd like to give them a chance to fix things before I start posting mud) ...not only were they unable to reproduce a clicking sound that happens pretty much the moment you sit in the car, moving or not, but they convinced me that the auto-headlamp settings were NOT adjustable (That is - I guess they don't know how to use the Consult tool to make those changes - of course, they didn't say that) either "time from sensing dark to switching on", or "level of light required to switch on lights" - both of which I've seen detailed in more than a few posts on FA.

Oh well, I guess more fool me for expecting to get the warm and fuzzies from dealing with a service department that handles $30k-$70k cars. I guess at the end of the day they're all about the same, VW, Kia, or Infiniti. ...Unless you've been able to develop a good relationship with one of the service guys.

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S

Old 04-30-2004, 08:19 PM

I made an observation today about this "noise" it almost sounds like the door closing, only much quieter, I will check my seatbelt adjuster though. I know it's one of those sounds that could very well be resonating from some other area, for instance, I had a '93 F-150 that had a squeak that sounded llike it was in the dash, I tried everything to locate it, one day a friend of mine was with me, he says "pop the hood", you know, it was the jack handle which was mounted across the radiator support, it was partially out of the clip, never made the sound again!

Old 05-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the 'clicking in the seat' problem. Felt like a loose roll of quarters rolling under the seat and hitting the frame rails (the best way I could describe it). There is a TSB fix for the problem that has been successful on most of the cars done. The tech that did mine said he did a little more than what was called for on the TSB, but I'm not sure what, and I haven't had a problem since.

Re the headlight settings. I think I was one of the first to ever have this done on the G35, and I posted the Infiniti pages that document the available options to take to the dealership if they say it can't be done. Also the print-out from the Consult II that documents the changes made. It's on FAQ as well as a correction at BCM Customization Chart.

Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 05-03-2004, 10:22 AM

Thanks so much for the lighting link. I was going to search for that this morning to take to the dealer (if he ever calls me or writes me back) but you saved me the work MUCH appreciated.

...As for the seat clicking, I think I may have eliminated the noise - for now.

I basically spent 30 minutes on my knees, back, side, and head (contorting myself all over the place) with a socket set and "tightened the ****" I believe is the term - out of all the reachable or discoverable bolts on the seat. I also noticed that when rolling the seat back and forth I felt a crunching or bumping at the sitting position. I kept moving it forward and backward until I couldn't feel the bump any more and now it seems like the sound is gone. - I suspect I may have heard it a little this morning but it's nowhere near what it was.

...The thing that sucks - which I didn't think about until afterward - is now the dealer really WONT be able to hear it unless they try very hard

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S

- By the way gordgee.. I've been a fan for some time yay grounding kit!

Old 05-03-2004, 03:28 PM

I have an intermittent sound like the one Gordgee is describing...a kind of "grinding" when the seat is moving to it's "memory" postion when I put the key in the ignition. I am taking it in on Thurs for it's oil change and I will mention it to the service manager.

Obsidian/Graphite; Premium Pkg; Aero Kit; Suspension Kit; Nav Sys; Sunroof; Clear side markers, K&N, Z tube. Next...GroundingGear

Old 05-04-2004, 01:12 AM

Quoted verbatim from the Parts and Service director at the dealership I've been dealing with: (from an email)

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Your issue with the seat click is not out of the ordinary. We do see this from time to time and resolve it with replacing the seat track. The only problem is the track they give us will have the same problem down the road. I am not sure if the noise was duplicated or not, but we have made a decision to only replace the extremely bad cases and inform the other customers that the issue is being resolved and new parts should be available soon.

<hr></blockquote>

...and (sorry to hijack the thread with this again)

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

There is no setting for us to adjust the sensitivity of the automatic headlights. It is built into the electronics and we have no way of changing it. The setting that people may be referring to in the forums is the dimming of the interior lights when you exit the vehicle. That can be changed and adjusted to different settings. I would like to warn you that not all the information you read in the forums is accurate. I get a lot of emails asking questions about items people see on the web that is inaccurate.

<hr></blockquote>

So... there it is. That's all I know right now.

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S