G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Review: Aftermarket Nismo Aero Kit for 03/04 Sedan (VIS Techno R)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Review: Aftermarket Nismo Aero Kit for 03/04 Sedan (VIS Techno R)

Hi everyone, I recently joined the site, and got the VIS aero kit (Techno R) sold by another member here. While the work is getting done on my car, I thought I should share my observation with you guys, and I believe the information will be helpful for those who are interested in getting the same kit soon. I'll put some more pics soon.

Notice: DON'T get The rear bumper lower skirt, it won't fit without serious modification.

Edit: sorry guys I'll continue what I started. After I first saw the pics of the front bumper from the guy selling it here, I did some research and also called VIS to confirm that this kit was the Nismo aero kit replica, and the mounting holes were already there and utilize the original mounting points on the car body. I got the front bumper first then the sides and rear a couple weeks later.

From the first look, the quality seems decent; however I'm no expert at aftermarket body kits so don't take my word for it. The front bumper has the primer on and the sides and rear pieces are in orginal fiberglass finishing.

During the fitment test, the front and the sides fit fine but not the rear - it's short by 1+ inch. I went to VIS and showed it to them; they offered free mod/installation for the rear but I decided to return it. For the front bumper, all mounting holes are almost indentical to the orignial one, except the corner signal light bracket is already there. And for the sides, they line up to the mounting holes under the car, but on the part below the kick board they are not able to utilize the original clips. I have already post the question hopefully I'll figure that one out soon. One or two mounting holes at the wheel well need to be drilled but the marking's already there.

I took some extra time preping the kit. Although the guy from the body shop is really happy about the quality being the better one among aftermarket kits, we still take some time to sand it down for a better result. Plus I wanted it black for the vent on the bumper, and for the part below the kick boards on the sides, the masking/pre-paint work also took some time. On the front bumper at the corner lamp mount, we also drill the hole bigger to let the grommet through.

Update: the corner light was kinda hard to put on after the paint job, so I took some time grinding the mounting holes on the bumper to let the corner light snap on easier.

Overall, I think the front bumper and the side skirts are decent for an aftermarket kit. The mounts are pre-drilled and they fit almost the same way as the original kit. If you can get them altogether under $500 I believe you'll have enough room to work with on the paint and installation, especially for those who need to mod the Nismo bumpers but don't feel like cutting off an $800+ real Nismo bumper. However for those who just want the original Nismo bumper look, it might be easier just to get the original one.

Here's a quick summary of my observation, in addition to the pros and cons of fiberglass and poly kit:

The good: fitment; pre-drilled mounts; same mounting points as the original kit; better production quality; built-in corner light mounting bracket (when properly worked); possibility of being creative/moded

The bad: no license plate filler; lack of clips/accessories/documents; extra time needed for preping the kit/mouting the corner lights; random flaws like all aftermarket kits

Bottom line: better-than-expected fitment

Some suggestions for VIS: the built-in corner light bracket might create problems when mounting the corner lights; removing them prior to shipping by request would be a good idea.

Any inputs are welcome.

Here's a shot at the front bumper, with tapes around the vent preping to be painted black (that's how it got the wrinkles some of you spotted):

Here's a pic with the built-in corner lamp mounting bracket. The yellow circle is where I ground the hole bigger to let the grommet pass:

Before paint job, the tape was to secure the corner light:

The back of the bracket after grinding down:

Side skirts:

Front end and side skirt complete:

Last edited by ray1370; 07-16-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
VIs products are always like that.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:07 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
So the work is still being done? Not sure why you started this thread to share your observations but there are no observations except for not to buy the rear. Why not wait until the work is done and provide a full write-up?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, how much of the work has been done? any follow up pics?

Old 07-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The fitment on the rear lip is RETARDEDEDEDED ! It fits like 70%, gotta cut it in half to properly fit it and lots and lots of fiberglass to patch it up, which in the end looks retarded unless you mold the entire lip into the bumper. VIS is a huge fail, garbage fitment.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
posting pics will do judgment

Old 07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why does the surface around the vents look un-smooth? Looks kinda rough like its needs some heavy duty sanding.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dmitriylm
Why does the surface around the vents look un-smooth? Looks kinda rough like its needs some heavy duty sanding.
+1 it looks like 80 year old ****

thats why we pay more for the real thing...you pay for the quality

Old 07-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by G Sedan

ewwwww

Old 07-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

thats why we pay more for the real thing...you pay for the quality

HAHAHA

Old 07-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It kinda looks like VEINY, leathery 80 year old ****..lol.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't tell you guys how often I have intensely soaked wet dreams about veiny, leathery, grossly elastic aged breasts.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSpoonyBard
It kinda looks like VEINY, leathery 80 year old ****..lol.
Sorry if I recall some folks' old habits here..... never intended to do that....

Some updates are up...

Last edited by ray1370; 07-25-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
you realize by shifting the mounting hole the rear of the corner ligth mount is now shifted and you will have gaps after you put them on right? But nontheless that fitment looks a lot better

and the 80 year old wrinkly **** appears to be some kind of tape..which is good news

Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the write up. Looks like it actually fits decent w/o lots of gaps. Have you taken any pics with the grill back in to see if there are any gaps there?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Review: Aftermarket Nismo Aero Kit for 03/04 Sedan (VIS Techno R)