G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 Trade in Value... Sucks?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 Trade in Value... Sucks?

A week or two ago, there was a article, I believe in Autoweek, written by an expert in used car sales, listing the ten 2003 new cars expected to have the best future resale value. The G35 was one of those ten.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:47 PM

Hammer - so you are upset that "greedy" car salesman want to make money on your trade in as well as your new car purchase!

No, I'm not in the car business, but the truth is, there is no more shame in the car business than any other business. I do have a degree in business, and I have been in sales, marketing, and general manager positions in my industry for 29 years.

I could attempt to give you a lesson in business, but the best thing I can say is this: There are many, many car dealers in major cities like Houston, where I live. There are hundreds of used car dealers (either as part of new car dealers, or otherwise). The FACT is that the laws of supply and demand are well represented in the used car business. If any dealer truly were running their business on EXCESS profitability, they would not survive.

I'm sure you are talented in your area of expertise, I'm just as sure that your area of expertise is not running a maintstream business with profit and loss responsibility. No flame intended, I just don't think you understand what it takes to run a business.

Old 03-20-2003, 10:11 PM

JJSG35..I understand more than you think..and it does not change anything I said...greed and business goes hand in hand most of the time...now why dont you try to think like a consumer now instead of a businessman..because thats how I was thinking, and how most of the people think here. I dont say that Mr. salesman cant make a profit on anything he wants...but I dont have to like it..or the double talk....so that means I can understand how the "system" works and still say " I think it sucks a little" ..right??

"Dont start none....wont be none."

Old 03-21-2003, 07:38 AM

cars generally lose 25% of there value as soon as you drive it off the lot

Old 03-21-2003, 10:01 PM

Hammer, you say you understand more than I think. So I went back and re-read your first reply to me. It specifically says that the dealer should not make any money on your trade in. I don't think you do understand. Why would they do that?

I've bought 43 cars in my life. Do you really think I can't think like a consumer? Frankly it's pretty clear you have no understanding of the basic laws of economics. Sure, they don't have to lie, but your first post has nothing to do with underhanded tactics, it has to do with your assertation that they should not make money on trades. Makes no sense.

Old 03-22-2003, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plus, you have to realize that dealers usually wholesale the cars to other used-car dealers rather than sell them to consumers themselves. So your car has to be sold twice, with both parties marking it up to make a little money. Plus, they usually give it a 30-day warranty, and have to cover anything that might go wrong during that period. So, in order from lowest to highest, we have trade-in value, wholesale value, private-party resale value, and dealer resale value.

That's the way the system works. And on a fairly new car there can be quite a bit of difference between trade-in and private-party resale. If you don't want to take as big a hit, you'll have to sell the car yourself. Of course, you'll be fronting the advertising fees, taking personal time to show the car to prospective buyers, answer telephone inquiries during dinner, etc.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 03-22-2003, 10:20 PM

JJSG35.....Seems like I ruffled a few feathers...GOOD...lol...What I said still stands..thats the double talk I am talking about...trying to convince people thats the way it is so dont complain...and most people go for it so thats the reason dealers can do what they do...I understand "JJ"..I really do...I just dont like the double dip into my pocket..So "JJ" ...you purchased 43 cars huh???....thats a lot of times to get played by the system...but since you are probably ripping some people off also I guess thats just your way of "giving something back" ...how nice...

Old 03-23-2003, 09:09 AM

Hammer - I just recounted, it's actually 44 times I've been ripped off. I love cars - I make enough money and I spend it on what I damn well please. And I don't "rip" anyone off in my business. I have an excellent reputation for honesty and integrity.

I agree that there are many, many car salesman, and saleman in all businesses that are dishonest. But that was not my issue. Mine was that you don't think they should profit on used car trades. Whole different story.

I respect your opinion, and I suspect we both understand each other, but want to get our respective points across. Somehow I'm thinking we could actually be friends - we both have strong principals and aren't afraid to fight for them. Not a bad thing, Huh?

Old 03-23-2003, 12:23 PM

I like you already "JJ" ...I could see us being friends too ( just not the holding hands type)

Old 03-23-2003, 07:23 PM

Thanks, Hammer.

Old 03-23-2003, 09:44 PM

How sweet....[img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[b][i]<font color=red>BoneDaddy
2003.5 Garnet Fire, Premium, Aero, Sport

Old 03-25-2003, 09:22 PM

Hey Bonepapa...join us in the love

Old 05-18-2003, 10:48 PM

After all these replys have you changed your mind about the blond? That's added value!

2003.5 G35 6MT Black/Graphite
1987 GN Intercooled SFI Turbo
1970 GS 455 Stage 1 4-Speed

Old 05-19-2003, 11:55 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a used car market for the Sedan bro. Sell privately, and order an '04 Coupe. Dealer won't give you near what it's worth.

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>