G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Rear muffler failed - Replacement options?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear muffler failed - Replacement options?

HKS looks great, costs $400
OEM is good, costs $300

Magnaflow? Other?

I'm running AAM metallic substrate HFCs and it sounds great with the stock system. I tried swapping in a coupe midpipe but I didn't like the drone under 2000 rpm and it was a bit loud when getting on it. (Offers?)

I'd love to find a good sounding, inexpensive solution. I don't care about stainless as aluminized should last about 50,000 miles.

Personally I don't like the fart can look on the sedan, I want twin tips that look and fit similar to stock.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try the junk yard or ebay for people selling the OEM mufflers.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check the Sedan Exhaust clip thread....you will find everything you need in that post.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ i agree 100% about "fart cans". they do not suit our cars. fart cans look at home (sort of) on a WRX STI, Skyline GTS/T/R, etc.

i have the HKS on my 04 6mt and i love the look. if you can find a used one go for it. much better than OEM. otherwise wait for a used OEM muffler to pop up on craigslist or in the marketplace. they usually run ~$25-$40 from what i've seen (people trying to clear up garage space). i still have mine but i'm up in Canada...

Old 11-27-2008, 10:35 AM
I thought of that, but most 03-05's are nearly the same age/mileage as mine and mine has failed and therefore likely to be failing soon too. Yes cars that saw more highway miles and fewer short trips than mine will last longer but that's not good enough. No, unless I tripped over a good used oem off a low mileage '05 that's not the way I want to go.

I'm thinking to go with either OEM or HKS, unless I can figure out how some Magnaflow or other somewhat high performance universal type fitment might work. I'm just thinking that there could be a nice and inexpensive solution taht could be welded up with the old pipe and hanger hardware.

Originally Posted by jimmykce1
Try the junk yard or ebay for people selling the OEM mufflers.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

How does the muffler fail?

Old 11-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Mufflers normally fail when an internal baffle rusts out and or breaks loose, or when they rust through externally or have a weld break causing leakage.

With mine, the exhaust note deepened and there was a loss of power at mid/high rpms.

With the car on a lift the cats and middle resonator sound fine and the noise is coming from the rear muffler. Additionally there is an area with concentric ripples of heat caused blue staining on the side of the muffler near its inlet, indicating that something came loose and is deflecting the exhaust stream at the sidewall of the muffler. The loss of power is due to flow restriction.

Originally Posted by DaveB

How does the muffler fail?

Old 11-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I checked it but many of the links are now dead. I can't find anything specific about the magnaflow some folks have used and saisd they liked.

Originally Posted by G35m@
check the Sedan Exhaust clip thread....you will find everything you need in that post.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Flowmaster Super 44 Series

Anybody try a Flowmaster? Here's one I imagine could be welded onto the OE rear section pipe.

I looked inside my muffler with a light and found that the inlet end of the perforated baffle on the inlet side of the muffler has dropped down inside the muffler. Too bad there's no way to simply reattach it without opening up the muffler to get at where it needs repair. I can't see in well enough to see if its fallen because a weld failed or if corrosion has set in.

Part Number: F139430462
MFR#: 9430462
Description:
"FLOWMASTER SUPER 44 SERIES MUFFLER, ALUMINIZED STEEL -- 3 in. Inlet, 2.5 in. Outlet Diameter, 4 in. Thick X 9.75 in. Wide, 13 in. Case, 19 in. Overall Length, Offset-Dual Design, The Newest Technology From Flowmaster, Designed To Replace The Old Original Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler, This Is The Most Aggressive And Deepest Tone Street And Strip Muffler Flowmaster Has Ever Made, Offers Maximum Performance And An Improved Flow Path Radius, Generates More Torque And Power, Designed For Early Generation Muscle Cars, For Off-Road And Race Applications, Dual Exhaust Cross-Over Pipe Is Strongly Recommended In All Dual Exhaust Applications, With Flowmaster's Limited 3-Year Warranty"
Material: Aluminum Aluminized Steel
Series: Super 44 Series

Attached Thumbnails Rear muffler failed - Replacement options?-flowmaster-f139430462.jpg  
Old 11-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
if you just want a muffler get the megan rear section.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:12 PM
I looked for one but could only find it sold with mid pipe and I read under the exhaust thread that it is loud.

I'd definitely be interested in looking at a Megan rear section only. Can you post a link?

Originally Posted by gtrefever
if you just want a muffler get the megan rear section.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:21 PM
http://www.meganracing.com/products/...d=846&catid=45

there you go, they have a picture with it on a g35 sedan. it looks nice and its cheap thing is i think you gotta get it welded but for 135 its a steal.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:26 PM
hey, i sent megan racing a message just to make sure if its a bolt on or if it needs to be welded, ill let you know once they reply.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:57 PM
I even found it for $100 on another site but don't know shipping yet.

Looks like it could be just the trick! If I go for it, I wonder how much the welding will cost me, I'd think around $75. If I go this route I'll post pics and sound clip and report on how it goes. Thanks!

Originally Posted by gtrefever
http://www.meganracing.com/products/...d=846&catid=45

there you go, they have a picture with it on a g35 sedan. it looks nice and its cheap thing is i think you gotta get it welded but for 135 its a steal.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:21 PM
what site did you find it on, haha i want in

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Rear muffler failed - Replacement options?