G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Auto AC/Heat Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto AC/Heat Question

Yesterday it got down to 7 degrees (fahrenheit) and I let my car get up to operating temp and after 20mins into the drive it automatically switched to the defrost/feet mode on my heat and no matter what I did when I hit the auto Econ button it wouldn't go away it stayed on that mode (I didn't even know the defrost could come on with the feet on auto, as it has never allowed me to before). Today it is 17 degrees out and it is only going out the feet now when I push the button. Is it supposed to do that or what?

I hope that is clear, as it is a little difficult to explain.

Any help appreciated,
Brad

Last edited by BJD275; 12-22-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think I know exactly what you're talking about. It happens to me too similarly. When I decide I want heat and turn on the A/C around here in the morning (usually it's 50-60 deg F), it goes to feet mode by default. I believe it has to do with the car interior temp sensor compared to the outside temp. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you can switch to face mode without any problems.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My auto climate system was acting up the other day when it was -3' F outside, turning it off and back on reset it though. I dont think mine has ever auto switched to defrost/feet on me. That has to be set manually by pressing mode and scrolling through to that setting. It will still automatically adjust the fan speeds however it will display manual instead of auto. Most of the time when I hit auto, it is blowing feet only. It will adjust accordingly to all the sensors in the cabin.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
keyword being AUTO

I'd let the car run its course..there are sensors inside the car that takes readings in different places and adjusts the AC to bring it up to desirable tempeature.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
When in Auto, all i get is FLOOR. Once in a while if i dial to the correct temp, it will do FLOOR and PANEL. Ive never gotten defrost when in automode

in fact, i can't get floor and defrost together in any mode. I wish i could because while i'm defrosting my windshield in the AM, my feet are cold

Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
When in Auto, all i get is FLOOR. Once in a while if i dial to the correct temp, it will do FLOOR and PANEL. Ive never gotten defrost when in automode

in fact, i can't get floor and defrost together in any mode. I wish i could because while i'm defrosting my windshield in the AM, my feet are cold
you can do defrost and floor at the same time. Push MODE and it should be one of the choices.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5

That's what I am saying I can't get defrost/feet on auto either. I realize you can get it in manual mode by hitting mode but that was my problem it was doing it in AUTO and that's not even a possibility on any other day to have a feet and defrost on AUTO. So that was my problem/question. Even if I turned it off and then back on and turning the car off and then back on it would stay only on feet/defrost on AUTO mode which should be impossible to do.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From something I wrote a while back:

"One interesting thing I have seen with this cold spell is that after warming the car up to my setpoint, the system switches by itself into a mode where it starts blowing warm air out the floor vents and the defrost/window vents. The mode diagram shows an arrow at the driver's feet and the defrost symbol is on, no arrow at the driver's face. I think this may be triggered by the single digit outside air temperatures we have been having here in PA in the morning. My theory is that this is done to keep the windshield warm and prevent possible ice forming. It doesn't seem to do it though with slightly higher outside temperatures."

The full post can be found here: https://g35driver.com/forums/1713136-post18.html

Old 12-24-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by kswan53
From something I wrote a while back:

"One interesting thing I have seen with this cold spell is that after warming the car up to my setpoint, the system switches by itself into a mode where it starts blowing warm air out the floor vents and the defrost/window vents. The mode diagram shows an arrow at the driver's feet and the defrost symbol is on, no arrow at the driver's face. I think this may be triggered by the single digit outside air temperatures we have been having here in PA in the morning. My theory is that this is done to keep the windshield warm and prevent possible ice forming. It doesn't seem to do it though with slightly higher outside temperatures."

The full post can be found here: https://g35driver.com/forums/1713136-post18.html

I wish I would have found that post before wasting some more space on here. Thanks and awesome write up. I just wanted to make sure all was well as this is the first winter with this car.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Nice. That helped me out as well