G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

6MT Casual Driving Shift Points

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: 6MT Casual Driving Shift Points

Excellent points, GSGNG35 ! - how the hell does the transmission know what gear I'm coming from - and for the reasons you mentioned, why does it care, and what does it matter ?? I'm sure while driving every driver "rows through" all the gears, even when in 5th/6th and entering a corner where 3rd is the appropriate exit gear - yeah, right ! Hell, by the time we are done "rowing" we've left the turn and are being passed by those in the appropriate gears, anyway!

Love your cars ('87 GN and 70 GS) - too bad the old US of A abandoned us performance enthusiasts and we had to go overseas for something like the our "G's". I sure loved my old M-22 4 speed, it was as advertised "the rock crusher", but it didn't give a damn if you skipped gears, used the clutch, didn't use the clutch, whatever !! Is that what you've got in the GS??

FYI, I usually hesitate for a moment while in neutral when skipping gears, just to let the "R's" die down a little, and let the synchros line up - after all, I'm granny shifting for mileage and smoothness - if it was about getting to the next gear quickly, or accelerating, I wouldn't be skipping gears and would be shifting normally (no hesitation between gears) anyway!

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 06-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shift directly from 4th to 6th. Then try this... press the clutch in 4th gear... move the shifter to fifth, then down to sixth... release clutch. It will be smoother. This isn't the first "skipping" gears thread to pop up. We are talking about smooth shifting, not taking corners quickly.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 06-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are definately on the same page dbarnes! I may upset a few readers on this forum but after you drive an old 4 speed car with a big block 455 putting out 510 lbs of torque, shifting the G35 smoothly is easy. My wife also drives the G35 and jerks it a bit. When I drive, I challenge my kids to close their eyes and tell me when I shift. They can only occasionally guess correctly based on the engine sound. They feel nothing! It's combination of when and how softly to release and re-engage the clutch between shifts and the engine speed.

And you are correct about the old Muncie 4 speed transmission. It did not care if you skipped gears, skipped depressing the cluch or bothered to take your foot off the gas pedal. Just BANG it into the next gear, spin the wheels, and do it again until you were in 4th. My clutch folk broke once and I drove about 10 miles in traffic without being able to disengage the clutch. At the correct combination of engine rpm and speed, you can shift without depressing the clutch. When I had to stop, I just shut it down and started it with first gear engaged. No problem and NO DAMAGE to the transmission. Mine is actually a M21, which has more angular gears and makes a little less noise. The M22 has teeth almost straight up which made it stronger and more noisy. Thus the "Rock Crusher". The G35 trans is a , sorry guys, "Butter Churner" but I love the car and can drive it every day!

2003.5 G35 6MT Black/Graphite Prem/Aero/Winter
1987 GN Intercooled SFI Turbo (22K original miles)
1970 GS 455 Stage 1 4-Speed (#'s matching)