G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Transmission Howl (6MT)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Howl (6MT)

xxx

Last edited by mattmcm; 01-02-2023 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Howls coming from "down there somewhere" can be anything from the oil separator valve (EGR), or the belt tensioner (which will howl if the bearings are going bad), to belts that squeel when they get oily, slippery or old.

With the car under warranty, I wouldn't waste my time on the boards and take it in before it gets worse or can do serious damage.

Good luck!

No tiny wolves living in there?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Is this howling sound almost like a supercharger sound from below? Like a winding sound that revs up louder and louder as your car gains RPMs? If so, that's your rear pumpkin, and it's perfectly fine.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
is this it?....

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...6mt-coupe.html

some people say howl, some people say whine or wind-like noise.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if it's a warranty concern (powertrain related) then you are not charged for diagnosis of the problem.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I have the same problem. I don't seem to be concerned though because thought its normal since it only happens when its cold and it goes away after a while.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i get the same howling in mine. i dont really worry about it since it goes away after about 2 minutes of driving, and its only when its really cold. I think its just the cold gears being forced to turn and are just warming up. i asked my mechanic and he said every car makes some different sounds when cold. Some are just louder, some howl, some shift hard as anything, etc.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
This problem has NOTHING to do with a drivetrain component! It is wind related and will very with speed since the wind speeds will change while you are breaking, shifting, or accelerating.

It is audible from the lower, right side of the car most likely from the dashboard.

I have taped the right side of the car in various spots, which did not stop the noise. It will happen in any weather condition under 40*F.

If anyone can let me know where the "cold air inlet damper" is located I will have a write-up done quickly!!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^huh? that doesnt really make sense at all. wind is going to be present no matter what temperature it is. think about this for a minute hear. the noise only happens when its cold, and only for a brief time, we'll call this a warm up time for the drivetrain. if your theory was correct, then at any temp and at all times during driving, the noice would be present which it isnt.

anyways, nothing to really worry about. i agree its a little annoying, but mine goes away after going about 1 mile or roughly about 2-3 minutes of driving.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Not until something warms up or the cabin heats causes weatherstripping to expand and stop a draft.

If it was the drive train the sound would be from the middle of the car and you would hear it through the floor boards under the shifter trim. I have had passengers even confirm it was only from the right side.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Like I said earlier, don't waste your time checking the boards here, see the dealer under warranty ASAP. And no, any sound this "offensive" is not normal. I would rather take my chances with someone who repairs the car for a living than having others experiencing it and waving it off as normal telling me to not worry about it. This is like ignoring the symptoms of heart disease b/c others have it and it's a "normal" part of their life.

It's been in the -5's the last several days here and in the frigid cold, none of the family cars (we need five for 2 families) howl like tiny wolves, even for 2 minutes!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
This problem has NOTHING to do with a drivetrain component! It is wind related and will very with speed since the wind speeds will change while you are breaking, shifting, or accelerating.

It is audible from the lower, right side of the car most likely from the dashboard.

I have taped the right side of the car in various spots, which did not stop the noise. It will happen in any weather condition under 40*F.

If anyone can let me know where the "cold air inlet damper" is located I will have a write-up done quickly!!!!
I'm a fan of the inlet damper theory currently but my faith is waning: nowhere in the service manual or in a parts list can I find anything saying it exists. if someone has any idea whatsoever where it is then i think that's probably our man, but i'm beginning to think it's a unicorn.

Originally Posted by Braintree
Like I said earlier, don't waste your time checking the boards here, see the dealer under warranty ASAP. And no, any sound this "offensive" is not normal. I would rather take my chances with someone who repairs the car for a living than having others experiencing it and waving it off as normal telling me to not worry about it. This is like ignoring the symptoms of heart disease b/c others have it and it's a "normal" part of their life.

It's been in the -5's the last several days here and in the frigid cold, none of the family cars (we need five for 2 families) howl like tiny wolves, even for 2 minutes!
while I agree that you shouldnt just sit on potentially serious problems, it's this attitude that's keeping this car forum back. I've seen 30+ people on both this forum and on Z forums saying they have the same symptoms, so obviously A) it's not an issue that requires immediate attention, and B) the dealers don't have the solution.

The point of this place is to come on here and brainstorm and find solutions to these things. I've been a part of car forums before where they had volumes more knowledge than the average dealer, simply because when someone had a problem like this, other people with the same problem would all get together, go out, find the problem, discuss solutions, implement the solution, and share the knowledge. it seems like around here every conversation ends at "take it to the dealer" without following up to say what the dealer said and whether that fixed it even.

IMO, we should continue this in the thread linked above about the whine when cold. its already 3 pages of discussion long, and people are following up in there. having this thread going on as well just divides the discussion.

Last edited by maxuz; 01-19-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:09 PM
I do not have a warranty on my G and I usually do not trust the dealer. I am capable of doing pretty much anything on my car.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:28 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Cold air inlet damper is on the Differential Pumpkin unit itself. On the rear top back right corner. Its not screwed in...its pressed in.

I just had my 3.5FD pumpkin installed tonight and afterward, my G howls/whines like everyone here has said. My sound is in the 35MPH-65MPH range. I recorded a clip on my iPhone while driving home. I'll have it up by the morning

During the install, I was shown where this part is. Looks like a metal wick on a candle and its pressed in pretty tight but can be adjusted manually.

Perhaps its out of position or something? I wish I took pics when I had the pumpkin on the floor before it was installed. MAybe some one has a spare pumpkin laying around.

We used the old Cold Air Inlet from my stock 3.3FD pumpkin on this one when it was installed.

I'm willing to bet this is the culprit. I may have to go under to check for myself. Hopefully I can make the sound go away.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Interesting! I may have to check this out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission Howl (6MT)