G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New guy needs help with questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy needs help with questions

Hi Everybody. I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2005 G35x and I have a few questions:

1) Do I have to use a full synthetic oil? The manual seemed vague, so I went a head and used the synth.

2) Can I drive in "Snow" mode for the AWD on dry pavement without damaging anything? I asked my service guy at the dealer and he gave me one of those answers where they pause and say something like "It SHOULD......" I just want to make sure it is not like an old Explorer I had where if you drove it in 4WD on dry pavement that it would bind the gears.

3)I have yet to "Feel" the car automatically go into AWD mode as the manual says it will when the back wheels slip. We just had an ice storm and I was trying to make it do so. Who knows, maybe I did!

Any help would be appreciated. I know nothing about these cars! I just got rid of two '01 BMW's (325xi and Z3 3.0 Roadster) for this one. So far it has been a nice blend of performance, luxury and RELIABILITY. I have gone 5 months without having to drop any money in it, which is a lot more than I can say for the Bimmers.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!!!
You don't have to use fully syn, but that is what I have in all 4 of my cars.
Also, invest in some ramps and do it yourself, but keep records.

Don't have an X (want one), so somebody will be along soon to answer those ??

Old 02-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Do not use Snow mode on dry pavement. There is zero need for it unless you are in severe weather. The snow mode does is lock the power transfer 50/50 from zero to 14 m.p.h. than the vehicle is Rwd. The snow mode also delays the throttle control so that there is no sudden acceleration which caused most of the slip. I drove my X through all kinds of snow/ice conditions this year and never needed the snow button. As far as feeling the 4wd kick in...well we are not driving trucks here. This system is very seamless as it should be. The 4wd is there for when you truly get the vehicle out of control. Until than it uses the Stability control to get you back on track. Overall a great system with great function.

Synthetic oil just gives me a better peace of mind that I am doing all I can to help protect my engine from internal damage. For the few more dollars it is well worth it. The same goes for only running premium gas. I chose to drive this car and therefore the vehicle should not suffer from my negligence.

I chose my G over the Bimmers since even if it does break, I can still afford to fix it.

Nice purchase and welcome to the forums.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too just got a 2005 G35x recently.

not sure about the oil, but as for the AWD and snow conditions, only use the snow button if you plan on driving on a sheet of ice (and proceed under 11mph). In a recent freeze over here in MD, I had to go up a hill that was a sheet of ice. I pressed the snow button was able to proceed seamlessly. Comparatively, my neighbor has FWD, and could not make it up the hill.

As for the AWD kicking in when needed, the only indication that you will "see" is that the "slip" light will come on when the car senses any slippage, thus kicking it into AWD.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I would advise against using synthetic oil in ANY of nissan's VQ engines. They tend to burn it far worse than regular oil. The only advantage to running synthetic in any car is that it lasts longer (as long as it does not get burned up). You should still change your oil religiously every 3000-3500 miles as that is all your filter is rated for. Dirty oil is dirty oil. This is strictly advice based on the 3.5 VQ, and not necessarily the case of all motors.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the owner's manual specifically states not to use synthetic oil in our engines. however, it does not give any rationale for this. most owners on g35driver use it, including myself.