G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/273689-official-what-mods-should-i-buy-sedan-thread.html)

turok 08-28-2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Peoria35sedan (Post 6803557)
Not height adjustable, damping adjustable, you said you planned on racing it right? D specs have adjustable compression damping. :icon43:

Sorry that was confusing. I meant to be replying to the statement where you said I should get coils.

It does not look like D-Spec's will work on the X, so those are out. After looking at the price for a shock, strut, and spring combination, I've come to my senses and will more likely be getting coils.

How do airbags stack up performance wise? What about length of life? I can find a set of bags for just over $1,000, but I'd be worried that they won't be able to take my "spirited" driving. I wouldn't know, though.

Mike04x 08-28-2013 08:14 PM

^ I would just play it safe and get some BC coils, as far as I know there's only one X on bags and I don't believe that car gets tracked.

Mosheh1am 08-28-2013 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by turok (Post 6803401)
But if I'm doing a conservative drop (only 1"), then do I really care if I can adjust the ride height? What sort of performance bonus will I get out of coils?

My problem with coils is that for the same price as a good set of coils, it seems like I could get sway bars and strut tower bars while still having a few hundred dollars left over to add to my wheel fund.

A good set of true coilovers will be as effective as adding sways and anti-roll bars. its really up to you though. Coils will go over your budget especially the good ones but i would recommend doing them first.

I regret that I spent soo much on used springs and struts I might as well have gotten new coils with the number of trips I've made to swap them.

turok 08-29-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mike04x (Post 6803725)
^ I would just play it safe and get some BC coils, as far as I know there's only one X on bags and I don't believe that car gets tracked.

Just so we're clear, my car would be a daily driver first, AutoX car second. I MIGHT go to two races a year with it. This is good to know, though. Is BC the brand I should be looking at?

Originally Posted by Mosheh1am (Post 6803733)
A good set of true coilovers will be as effective as adding sways and anti-roll bars. its really up to you though. Coils will go over your budget especially the good ones but i would recommend doing them first.

I regret that I spent soo much on used springs and struts I might as well have gotten new coils with the number of trips I've made to swap them.

How much did you pay for coils vs used springs and struts? If I'm remembering right, I was looking at ~$400 for springs and struts together and ~$1,000 for coils.

Mosheh1am 08-29-2013 06:47 PM

@turok

I've bought 3 different kinds of springs. The G/z combo($100), S-techs($180) and Eibach Sportlines($200). I've been through 2 types of struts; my OEM Sports and Hp Blues($250). The S-techs blew out my OEM Struts and my Sportlines blew out my HP Blues. I didn't have the tools so I had them installed for me...(more $$$)

Some discounted BC coils ran me $850

Chucks 04 08-30-2013 01:46 PM

Hey guys I have been lookin at coilovers and I was wondering if I was right about this. Does the less kg you go give a smoother ride?? For instance if I go with let's say 8kg in the front and 6kg in the rear is that smoother than 14kg in the front and 12kg in the rear. Not sure. And what major deference will I feel?? Thanks in advance

nissanlady 10-04-2013 11:42 PM

03-Sedan G35 AT...

I am not planning on doing much for performance, because AT was not my first choice, it was a necessity for the time being. But, other than changing the aesthetics, I was thinking suspension upgrades are a good starting place. I really like how it rides-stock... so I don't want to sacrifice the smooth ride I already get... Not too tech savvy, so please help.

I was thinking something like this EIBACH... any other suggestions? Tips?

I have 134k miles, so before I start doing small performance mods, I want to make sure the car is fit to handle the extra power first... I gonna do full tune-up, oil change, filters change, etc... and see how it runs for a couple of months first...

I was thinking of going full synthetic oil... and running seafoam and/or rislone in my car to clean it out... any advice?

cdrinkh20 10-29-2013 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chucks 04 (Post 6804641)
Hey guys I have been lookin at coilovers and I was wondering if I was right about this. Does the less kg you go give a smoother ride?? For instance if I go with let's say 8kg in the front and 6kg in the rear is that smoother than 14kg in the front and 12kg in the rear. Not sure. And what major deference will I feel?? Thanks in advance

Yes you are half right. The spring rating number shows the amount of force required to compress the spring 1 mm. A lower number means less force is required to deflect the spring when you go over a bump. The other part is the damping force applied by the shock absorber to slow the speed of deflection. If you have soft springs and hard damping it will still feel hard.

dofu 10-29-2013 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by nissanlady (Post 6822861)
03-Sedan G35 AT...

I am not planning on doing much for performance, because AT was not my first choice, it was a necessity for the time being. But, other than changing the aesthetics, I was thinking suspension upgrades are a good starting place. I really like how it rides-stock... so I don't want to sacrifice the smooth ride I already get... Not too tech savvy, so please help.

I was thinking something like this EIBACH... any other suggestions? Tips?

I have 134k miles, so before I start doing small performance mods, I want to make sure the car is fit to handle the extra power first... I gonna do full tune-up, oil change, filters change, etc... and see how it runs for a couple of months first...

I was thinking of going full synthetic oil... and running seafoam and/or rislone in my car to clean it out... any advice?

Eibach is a well known name in suspension parts, but IMO they are overpriced for what you really get. The Eibach swaybars are solid so they are heavier, but they are thinner as well, which makes a much bigger difference here. If you want an actual upgrade, look for a thicker, adjustable swaybar like Stillen, Progressive, and there are a few more I can't remember off the top of my head.

If you want better handling and want to do more than swaybars, struts and shocks are the next thing you want to upgrade. Since its the springs that generate the large majority of the road feel that you get in the driver's seat, firmer struts and shocks will give you more traction for better performance without the rough ride quality.

And if you are looking to upgrade more, IMHO, the best feeling suspension on the sedan that handles as well is one made for the 350Z. Tein S-Techs or Swift springs for the 350Z and Tokico D-Specs were a pretty comfy but firm setup that handled really well.

Since your G is a higher mileage car, you will definitely benefit from a tune

dofu 10-29-2013 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chucks 04 (Post 6804641)

Originally Posted by cdrinkh20 (Post 6832679)
Yes you are half right. The spring rating number shows the amount of force required to compress the spring 1 mm. A lower number means less force is required to deflect the spring when you go over a bump. The other part is the damping force applied by the shock absorber to slow the speed of deflection. If you have soft springs and hard damping it will still feel hard.

Yes AND no. Yes, the lower kg means a softer spring, but a smooth ride depends more on the springs and struts to be matched rather than just using softer spring rates. If a firm strut is matched to a soft spring, then the ride will be bumpy. If a soft strut is matched to a firm spring, then the ride will be bouncy. If the parts are properly matched (good luck getting this with Teins and other cheap coilovers), even with very firm spring, you can have a firm but smooth ride, meaning you get more road feel and vibration, but the suspension will handle bumps and rough surfaces very smoothly (much better than my Lexus IS sport suspension).

A better daily driver/road suspension will have either a helper spring or a progressive spring where there is a softer spring at the ends to help absorb the vibration and possibly excessive road feel so you get a more luxurious ride. If you get coilovers with more aggressive spring rates, you should be able to add helper spring to help soften the ride a little while retaining the better handling characteristics of the firmer suspension.

dofu 10-29-2013 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mosheh1am (Post 6803733)

Coilovers may stiffen the suspension and feel like they are eliminating power shift from one side of the car to the other, but they will NEVER replace your sway bars.

In fact, eliminating so much sway with a very firm suspension is actually bad for performance. Beyond that, with just coils, you will never stiffen the right parts of the car enough to lift a wheel in a turn, basically meaning you will never have enough traction to truly be able to turn on a dime.

dofu 10-29-2013 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by turok (Post 6800956)
I have an 05 G35x. Looking to do some minimal beutification mods and then some "fun driving" mods. My main concern is to keep the car as reliable and as useful as I can. By that, I mean that I'm not afraid to put in sway bars and maybe a plenum spacer, but I don't want to lower it so much that I have to buy a new bumper every 12 miles or put in any sort of FI (maybe in 50k miles or so :D).

Next summer I'll be doing some SCCA races, probably with this car. I'd like to keep it in the Stock category as long as I can. That's not a huge priority, though, just something I'm going to be keeping in mind as I add things to the car. You can find the SCCA rules here, if any of you are interested.
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517

I have enough income to spend on about any modification I would want, but there are other hobbies that will be consuming my funds, too. Therefore, I'd like to have everything I do be cost effective (no spending $1000 and 5 hours of work for 2hp).

Now I can actually list out the things I want to do. Each list is in order.
Cosmetic:
Different Wheels
Debadge (which in turn means a new front grill)
Lower (between 0.5" and 1.5")
Hood Dampers (cause why not)

I've seen some mixed comments on this, so I'm hoping to clear this up. If I do a Z/G spring swap, will my non-sport suspension be in jeopardy? What struts can I use in order to keep a smooth ride and a long suspension life? Do the X's have less options for this?

Performance:
Sway bars (allowed by SCCA for stock)
Plenum Spacer
Strut tower bars (not allowed by SCCA for stock)

I don't know what else actually helps performance, but I'm slowly going through all 50 pages of this thread to hopefully get an idea. Engine sound isn't something that I care to improve on a sole basis. Making the car faster is.

Thanks for any help.

Originally Posted by Peoria35sedan (Post 6801066)
The best place for you to start will be tires and sways, they will make the biggest difference for the money. If you change wheels you'll need to spend the extra money to get something light, you could get some coupe Rays, or 350z track wheels (still not cheap). I think you are limited on struts, if you plan on lowering the car at all just bite the bullet and buy good coils, they will be totally adjustable so you can tune the suspension to suit your track days, if you stay stock height buy the best struts you can find for an x, I'm not sure if D-specs will fit but they would be a good choice. Strut bars are a waste, leave it off and stay in the stock class. I would get the car setup up before messing with the motor. Have fun

Agreed. Unless you get a three point strut bar or fender braces to go with the strut bar, strut bars will do little to nothing. IMHO, if you want to stiffen the chassis, get front and rear tie bars - they will stiffen enough of the chassis to improve response through the turns.

Another mod you might want to consider is a tune, if the rules allow it. Even though you are stock, you will see gains, and much better throttle response.

Chucks 04 11-04-2013 12:02 AM

Ok here's my prob I'm goin down my list of parts to get for my exterior mod and I can't find the fenders with the vent for my 04 sedan.. Can ANYONE point me in the right direction. Please and thanks in advance

dofu 11-04-2013 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chucks 04 (Post 6835091)
Ok here's my prob I'm goin down my list of parts to get for my exterior mod and I can't find the fenders with the vent for my 04 sedan.. Can ANYONE point me in the right direction. Please and thanks in advance

Unless you have a flame suit, run and hide, quick.

Chucks 04 11-05-2013 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by dofu (Post 6835107)
Unless you have a flame suit, run and hide, quick.

So i guess no one likes the strafe speed fenders cause that's what I'm looking for or at lease something similar... Not those fake *** Buick and M3 vents.