G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Can I turn off the traction/slip control??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I've never turned my VDC off. I don't drive my G35 hard enough to activate it. I only see the VDC light come on in the snow or if i try to merge on the highway in the rain.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MAXSE2KMT
read your car manual then come back and answer your question. i don't understand how people drive their cars and dont ever glance at their manual. next you'll be asking what this (!) means
Because sometimes we are driving in our cars and it happens and we wanna turn it off. Why be a dck, either answer the question or dont respond.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
I only turn off my VDC at the track. Annoying as it is, it is a nice safety margin on the streets, especially if there's unexpected dirt, leaves, puddles, small children, etc. in the middle of a corner. The VDC is actually pretty benign if you are careful with your throttle. If you squeeze gently on the throttle instead of mash on it, it will actually allow a tiny bit of throttle over before it cuts you off.

In addition to the VDC, the ABS system also has a big stability control component to it. It controls the yaw rate pretty tightly when you have the brakes on, and you can never turn this off short of unplugging your abs.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never use vdc. Its awd already so to me its useless. I could see this option being important on a rwd not awd.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by totopo
I only turn off my VDC at the track. Annoying as it is, it is a nice safety margin on the streets, especially if there's unexpected dirt, leaves, puddles, small children, etc. in the middle of a corner. The VDC is actually pretty benign if you are careful with your throttle. If you squeeze gently on the throttle instead of mash on it, it will actually allow a tiny bit of throttle over before it cuts you off.

In addition to the VDC, the ABS system also has a big stability control component to it. It controls the yaw rate pretty tightly when you have the brakes on, and you can never turn this off short of unplugging your abs.
Wrong, by cutting the orange wire on your yaw sensor you can permanently turn off the VDC. Or you can do what I did and wire up a button and make full VDC disable a driving option

Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Darqfallen
Wrong, by cutting the orange wire on your yaw sensor you can permanently turn off the VDC. Or you can do what I did and wire up a button and make full VDC disable a driving option
Ha..nice!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
What about pulling the fuse and turning off the VDC..?? Spent an afternoon roasting the tires on my X with that little hint. I miss the AWD kick when you hit the throttle and I cant afford another set of Hankook's on my baby!!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by bizz518
I never use vdc. Its awd already so to me its useless. I could see this option being important on a rwd not awd.
There are more ways to lose control than power over. Sure with awd you won't get power over like rwd, but in the rwd g35, power over is relatively easy to control and not the big issues.

What it will do is save your car by killing your understeer and speed when you overspeed into a corner, and it will save you from lift-off oversteer, which is the other way people usually trash their cars.

The abs system saves you from braking oversteer, which is probably the 3rd way other cars really get trashed in single vehicle incidents.

90% of the drivers here I think shouldn't be driving with your vdc off, except in controlled situations (track, autocross, skid-pad, etc.) The VDC is pretty benign. If you have good throttle control and smooth steering input, you can get your car pretty close to the edge before it cuts in. Instead of turning the VDC off, you should probably try fixing your bad driving habits that get it to kick on first. Be smoother rolling off your break into the turn in, and gradually apply throttle from the apex. Don't jerk your wheel, don't lift off your brakes, and don't stomp your gas.

I guess it's just your priorities though. I would rather have the vdc kill my intentional understeer and annoy me 1000 times as long as it saves me that one time there's something unexpected in the road or something on my car fails.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want the VDC to remember whether it is off or on without permanently disabling it, pick one of these up: http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/4

There used to be a vendor on here who sold stuff from this company to members at a bit of a discount. Don't know if he's still around.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts
Wow never knew you can turn it off permanently.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just click the damn button, its always good having the option aviliable if you want it or not

Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by totopo
There are more ways to lose control than power over. Sure with awd you won't get power over like rwd, but in the rwd g35, power over is relatively easy to control and not the big issues.

What it will do is save your car by killing your understeer and speed when you overspeed into a corner, and it will save you from lift-off oversteer, which is the other way people usually trash their cars.

The abs system saves you from braking oversteer, which is probably the 3rd way other cars really get trashed in single vehicle incidents.

90% of the drivers here I think shouldn't be driving with your vdc off, except in controlled situations (track, autocross, skid-pad, etc.) The VDC is pretty benign. If you have good throttle control and smooth steering input, you can get your car pretty close to the edge before it cuts in. Instead of turning the VDC off, you should probably try fixing your bad driving habits that get it to kick on first. Be smoother rolling off your break into the turn in, and gradually apply throttle from the apex. Don't jerk your wheel, don't lift off your brakes, and don't stomp your gas.

I guess it's just your priorities though. I would rather have the vdc kill my intentional understeer and annoy me 1000 times as long as it saves me that one time there's something unexpected in the road or something on my car fails.
Well for me being I've only had the car 2 months I want to know how far I can push the car. Always relying on vdc just prevents you from knowing what the cars limits are. I don't drive around like an a.ss or anything but I like to feel what the cars doing when i push it.Come winter time vdc will be on.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to permanently turn off traction control

https://youtu.be/TUMu0CzjzI0

Old 03-26-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
I've learned that one of the biggest things that hold back the G35 is it's tire size. The 225s in the front and 245s in the rear are WAAAYYY too small. The 19s are great for the track but, they need to be widened considerably (a member here has already done that). 20s are perfect for the street and although most owners install 245s in the front and 275s in the rear. I went with 255s in the front and 285s in the rear. The look and stance is beautiful but, the performance benefits are what I was after most. I'm running Continental DWS 06 Tires respectively and the grip they provide is lovely. I can go much, much deeper in to a corner without the VDC trying to reign me in because of the extra grip. I can still spin the rear tires whenever I want as long as the VDC is off. I can do it with it on but, once I loose traction the VDC kicks in as it should. Taking corners at much higher speeds is a joy and the mild drop I have is like the icing on the cake. I'll be adding Tanabe sway bars soon along with Bilstein performance struts. That will be all the suspension upgrades I need. I have a Z1 motorsports street performance clutch waiting to be installed. Although these cars are no longer new they have a lot of potential as you all already know.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
VDC off when its dry, on when wet. Simple as that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can I turn off the traction/slip control??