G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

30k Maintenance in Austin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 30k Maintenance in Austin

I have a 06 G35, I have a 30k service coming up, and the dealership in austin is asking for $970.00 + around $570.00 to change brakes+etc. It is damm costly, I was wondering if there are any suggestions to get the price down.I am not that savvy with tools, and do not have an garage, Does going to a Nissan dealership help? does it void the warranty if I go to any local mechanic even if I keep records of the maintenance.
Any suggestions of places to go to take my car in Austin? any help will be appreciated.

Srikar

Old 05-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Did you get a list of what is included in the $970 30K service?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a little info for ya...

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...e-service.html

hope it helps...

Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
i've seen in cases as long as your provided them receipts of said fluids that are being replaced they will honor warranty. obviously you have to buy nissan branded trans and diff fluid otherwise you void your warranty with another brand fluid.

going to nissan does help, since its the same as a 350z pretty much.

a 30k is pretty much a oil change, trans fluid and diff change. everything else is FLUFF. you dont need your cabin filter replaced, it wont void your warranty at all, you dont need wipers replaced. and nothing really needs to be inspected. The serp belt could be replaced by honestly not at 30k.

$900 for 3 oil changes pretty much.

$500 brake job... you can get it done anywhere else for less. maybe a forum member can help with that.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:23 AM
Do I need to change engine drive belts at 30k? To save money I have a choice between changing engine drive belts or transmission oil? According to the service rep he asked me to change engine drive belts, Do you guys think I need either of them at 30k.

For right now,

Replace engine oil and filter + tires rotation and alignment. - 110
Replace differential oil - 130
Replace engine air filter - 48
Replace engine drive belts or Replace Transmission oil. - 170
Replace rear brake pads. - 300

around $770.00

Do I need to do anything else?

srikar

Old 06-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vad_srikar
Do I need to change engine drive belts at 30k? To save money I have a choice between changing engine drive belts or transmission oil? According to the service rep he asked me to change engine drive belts, Do you guys think I need either of them at 30k.

For right now,

Replace engine oil and filter + tires rotation and alignment. - 110
Replace differential oil - 130
Replace engine air filter - 48
Replace engine drive belts or Replace Transmission oil. - 170
Replace rear brake pads. - 300

around $770.00

Do I need to do anything else?

srikar
I've done most of these myself they are pretty easy and not too expensive.

Replace engine oil and filter + tires rotation and alignment. - 110 <--110 for all that is not too bad, if you buy synthetic oil and filter it costs about 40-50. Alignment is 89 at Jerry's alignment in Pflugerville.

Replace differential oil - 130 <-- Just buy the fluid and follow this.

Replace engine air filter - 48 <--just buy the filter at the dealer for 26 and follow this

Replace engine drive belts or Replace Transmission oil. - 170 <--the belts are a huge pain in the rear, I would let the dealer do this.

Replace rear brake pads. - 300 <--just buy the pads and follow this: http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gcou..._procedure.htm

I may be able to help you do these on your car if you are interested. Send me a PM if you need help.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Question to all,

Why would he need to change the engine drive belts? His car only has 30,000 miles for crying out loud. Unless they're damaged I think that's a total waste of money.

MT, thanks for the offer to help him out. I'm thinking about lowering the sedan a little, maybe I could trade out some free cheesesteaks in exchange for your help. Yuuuuum, cheesesteaks...................

Call me today about the San Marcos meet. I'm also coming to Coffee and Cars Friday, if you're there we can meet up and talk about San Marcos.

Sorry to jack your thread OP, back on topic!!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Question to all,

Why would he need to change the engine drive belts? His car only has 30,000 miles for crying out loud. Unless they're damaged I think that's a total waste of money.

MT, thanks for the offer to help him out. I'm thinking about lowering the sedan a little, maybe I could trade out some free cheesesteaks in exchange for your help. Yuuuuum, cheesesteaks...................

Call me today about the San Marcos meet. I'm also coming to Coffee and Cars Friday, if you're there we can meet up and talk about San Marcos.

Sorry to jack your thread OP, back on topic!!

When I brought mine in for the bose radio/hvac problem, the dealer of course went through the same list of the "brakes, fluids, belts, etc should all be done. The belts are really cracked, brakes are almost gone, tires are shot..blah"

Anyway, I knew the brakes were bad, & that the tires are worn. When I got home I changed the oil and when your down there, its incredibly easy to see everything, and looks easy to work on.. my a/c sepentine belt is actually cracked, the main alternator belt appears perfect though. So I will do the a/c belt this summer, but it still works fine for now.

I guess my point is, that you should inspect the things they are talking about and see if it is necessary because some things could be...

From experience with the awd in my ridgeline, when the differential fluid starts getting crappy, you will hear a whining noise in the differential.. But it might not be a bad idea to replace that either...i dunno...I havent done it on my G and my dealer actually didnt say anything about it, but it is pretty easy to do however..

Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 AM
So can they look at the engine drive belts and know if they have to replace them? and is transmission fluid replacement required at 30k?

Old 06-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone can look at your belts and see if they need to be changed or not. If they are in good condition you don't need to have them replaced at exactly 30k miles. However it's a good idea to not wait too long before changing them because once a belt brakes your car is not going anywhere. If you are traveling at 80 mph on the freeway and your belt brakes you can be 100% sure that you will need a tow truck before the day is over. I changed my belts at 33,000 miles just for good measure.

BTW the link I gave you was not for the ENGINE AIR FILTER it was for the cabin air filter sorry. Charging the Engine air filter is ever easier than the in cabin air filter. It only takes about 15 minutes. I would suggest you go buy the reusable K&N drop in filter.

Blue Dream I'll be at the c&C this Friday so we'll talk about the San Marcos meet there.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
At 30K I would advise the OP to just drain and fill the trans fluid in addition to engine oil/filter and the engine air filter. It's easier than an oil change becuase once you get it on ramps, you can just crawl under and drain the transmission pan without taking off any of the bottom plastic engine covers. Just measure what came out and put that much back in. I started doing this at 52K miles and will do it every 20K or so from here on. The fluid was pretty dark compared to the new fluid I put in.

Also, see if the dealer will give you a discount on any remaining matic J ATF. Matic S just came out a few months back, but the older fluid type is fine as well. Doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
belts are easy!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vad_srikar
I have a 06 G35, I have a 30k service coming up, and the dealership in austin is asking for $970.00 + around $570.00 to change brakes+etc. It is damm costly, I was wondering if there are any suggestions to get the price down.I am not that savvy with tools, and do not have an garage, Does going to a Nissan dealership help? does it void the warranty if I go to any local mechanic even if I keep records of the maintenance.
Any suggestions of places to go to take my car in Austin? any help will be appreciated.

Srikar
Damn wish I had seen this post earlier. I had the same issue and I laughed at them and said to my wife watch this. I called Bates Nissan in Killeen TX (65miles away) and it was about uhhhh $300. I only go to Infiniti of Austin for warranty work or if I just want to go for a drive and check out new cars, and change my oil while i wait. Nothing against them, that's just the premium price for going to them that's all. Hope you haven't paid $900 as yet

Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
If you have the tools and time, all the maintenance can be done for a lot less. I do all my own.

Another good idea is to go to Nissan dealerships as they typically don't charge as much for the same work.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by gtbigup01
Damn wish I had seen this post earlier. I had the same issue and I laughed at them and said to my wife watch this. I called Bates Nissan in Killeen TX (65miles away) and it was about uhhhh $300. I only go to Infiniti of Austin for warranty work or if I just want to go for a drive and check out new cars, and change my oil while i wait. Nothing against them, that's just the premium price for going to them that's all. Hope you haven't paid $900 as yet
How was the service at the killeen nissan dealer, I have not done my maintenance yet? DO you recommend it?

srikar

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 30k Maintenance in Austin